Prospect Info: Marner continues onto the Memorial Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
One thing re: Mitch Marner and the nine game audition is he seems to be a bit of a slow starter? I've read he had a very modest transition into the OHL, had a very slow start in his draft year, didn't really stand out at the rookie camp the same way Nylander did, and was a little nervous at training camp. But every year he seems to finish the season red hot an scoring at historic rates.

Don't under estimate the "comfort level" factor with Marner. Maybe this is a factor that affects him more than your next blue chip prospect. He may be a guy who needs to feel good, familiar situation, trusted or in a stable situation to really, really shine.

So don't overrate the 9 game audition, draw any conclusions or necessarily send him back to juniors just because he might not look ready.

I made a similar point a few days ago.

The thing with Marner is he needs to play with very cerebral players. His game is built upon picking apart defenses with his passing, but a certain comfort level with linemates is required to do that. And those linemates need to have elite hockey IQ to work well with Marner's vision. We sort of saw this in the World Juniors as he struggled to find chemistry with guys like Perlini.

I think most of us agree that Matthews would be a fantastic linemate since he seems like a very rich man's version of Dvorak. I'm hopeful they get that chance early on.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I made a similar point a few days ago.

The thing with Marner is he needs to play with very cerebral players. His game is built upon picking apart defenses with his passing, but a certain comfort level with linemates is required to do that. And those linemates need to have elite hockey IQ to work well with Marner's vision. We sort of saw this in the World Juniors as he struggled to find chemistry with guys like Perlini.

I think most of us agree that Matthews would be a fantastic linemate since he seems like a very rich man's version of Dvorak. I'm hopeful they get that chance early on.

I agree, their hockey IQ and the way they approach the offensive game seems like they should fit together. Maybe Babcock recognizes that if it does happen in training camp and puts them together for Marner's 9 games.

Maybe something like this to start the season

JVR-Kadri-Hyman
Michalek-Nylander-Greening
Komarov-Matthews-Marner
Leipsic-Gauthier-Soshnikov
Holland,Bozak

Try to ease them in and keep a vet like Komarov on their line. (Also don't think Bozak stays a Leaf)

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I agree, their hockey IQ and the way they approach the offensive game seems like they should fit together. Maybe Babcock recognizes that if it does happen in training camp and puts them together for Marner's 9 games.

JVR-Kadri-Hyman
Komarov-Matthews-Marner
Holland,Bozak

Try to ease them in and keep a vet like Komarov on their line. (Also don't think Bozak stays a Leaf)

Almost the exact same lines I was thinking of except Brown on the top line instead of Hyman, and one of Michalek/Hyman on the 4th instead of Leipsic.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

JVR-Kadri-Hyman
Komarov-Matthews-Marner
Holland,Bozak

I like your Mathews-Marner and JVR-Kadri duo's. I remember Kadri-JVR had a little bit of chemistry for a little bit when they played together a few years ago. Kadri also does well with Big bodies around him so maybe put Greening on the right. I also believe Nylander-Parenteau had the best possession numbers of any duo for the leafs last season, but if not Parenteau I see a top 6 vet coming in. Maybe not Stamkos, but someone.

I also don't foresee us getting rid of Laich that easy.

JVR-Kadri-Greening
Eriksson-Nylander-Brown
Komorav-Matthews-Marner
Soshknikov-Bozak-Hyman
Laich, Michalek

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Why would he get 'destroyed' any more or less than any other player?

The argument is of course that he's too small and I think you know that. I'm not even remotely arguing that. I didn't present my opinion for a reason, but for the record I believe Marner is in fact ready to play in the NHL. I bet you weren't expecting that? However, my opinion is irrelevant. I just granted the possibility he would get destroyed to skeptics to make a point that arguing about his size doesn't matter now because we're going to find out in the first 9 games anyway.

I'd still like to get an answer from people that think he'll suffer brain damage more than any other player? Do we just forget some of the biggest players in the NHL have suffered big injuries as a result of a physical play? Some of them can't even handle a groin injury...

I find it absolutely bizarre and I never get an answer? I suspect I never will.

Sorry to say, but I'm not "some people" and I don't have an answer to that because I don't believe it. It's funny the amount of posts that went forward on the last page against what "some people" believe in though.

Edit: Also I do agree with the others in this thread that are saying let's not judge the kid solely on his 9 games. But at the very least it will prove to the skeptics out there that his size won't be an issue. In other words, if he's not acclimating to the NHL game for reasons other than his size, we can still likely put the size argument to bed and move on.

Last edited:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Added 5" and 30 lbs since being drafted to the OHL in 2013.

5'8" Marcel Dionne
5'11" Mitch Marner
5'11" Steve Yzerman
5'11" Joe Sakic
6' Wayne Gretzky
6' Gordy Howe
6'2" Jaromir Jagr
6'3" Ron Francis

He's 6lbs short of Doug Gilmour's listed playing weight.

BEERnSOUP

Feb 2, 2015

JVR-Kadri-Hyman
Komarov-Matthews-Marner
Holland,Bozak

I think it's unrealistic that Bozak is an extra forward under Babs. He's useful for draws and leadership and was a player singled out in interviews of the young guys as being helpful for them in their call ups. Also, Babcock talked about wanting to start Nylander on the wing but said injuries didn't allow him to do it. I fully expect Nylander to start on the wing next season. Not saying it's where they see him long term, but it's where Babcock wants him to begin his NHL career.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

“he kills penalties for me. He blocks shots. He does the little things, too, that a guy like mike would like because that’s what coaches like,†hunter told hockey central at noon thursday. “that their best players can also block shots, kill penalties, do the little things to win. He’ll do that. He’s a character kid that way.â€

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
what a ridiculous draft last years was.

mcdavid- generational
eichel- borderline generational
strome-marner-hanifin- would go 1st in 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014

then you had provorov, rantanen, werenski, connor, etc.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Added 5" and 30 lbs since being drafted to the OHL in 2013.

5'8" Marcel Dionne
5'11" Mitch Marner
5'11" Steve Yzerman
5'11" Joe Sakic
6' Wayne Gretzky
6' Gordy Howe
6'2" Jaromir Jagr
6'3" Ron Francis

He's 6lbs short of Doug Gilmour's listed playing weight.

Ya mean he was a 16 year old 5'5" 135lb kid playing against 19year old men and he didn't get destroyed? Go figure:popcorn:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He grew 5 inches since he was 16 years old? I was already at my full hight at 5'9 by 16

Yeah everyone is different, I was 6'1" as a 16 year old. That's what my drivers license says and I've never changed the height. 45 years later I still haven't hit 6'2" in fact I think I'm back to exactly 6'1" again:)

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Marner looks like a franchise player, and a guy that would have went 1st overall a number of years. Leafs are very fortunate to have him. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Kadri is an excellent young forward core.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
KnightsBanff.jpg

Knights take off-day adventure to Banff

With an off-day on Wednesday, the London Knights went on a team adventure to the Rocky Mountain range of scenic Banff, Alberta.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He grew 5 inches since he was 16 years old? I was already at my full hight at 5'9 by 16

While I don't doubt that it happens, I think the notion that he is going to grow taller is overplayed. I think he's probably at his adult height already.

The far amount of prospects, in any sport, from my experience, have stopped growing by 18 at the latest. It just comes across as wishful thinking. Filling out one's body- now that's something that will change dramatically into the early 20's.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
what a ridiculous draft last years was.

mcdavid- generational
eichel- borderline generational
strome-marner-hanifin- would go 1st in 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014

then you had provorov, rantanen, werenski, connor, etc.

Somebody wasn't paying close attention to a lot of those drafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad