OT: Marlins Pitcher Jose Fernandez Killed in Boating Accident

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
What a night. Gordon homers to start the game, and you can just see the emotion pour out from the whole team. I tear up just typing this right now. Ive never met Jose, but you can just feel his genuine enthusiasm every time he was on the mound. As much as I hate the owner and his pet monkey, I was proud to be a Marlins fan because of players like Jose.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Look guys, I love hockey but I'm a baseball fan first and foremost. This past week was honestly one of the worst I can remember in a long time. Was at the game on Monday. Purely the most unique baseball game I've ever attended and the most important.

I first saw Jose in 2012. Remember thinking how special he was gonna be. Last saw him last Thursday in the dugout. Thought the same. This young man was truly special both as a talent and a person. He will never be forgotten.

If you are so inclined, you can read my full thoughts on my column

http://marlinsminors.mlblogs.com/2016/09/29/remembering-jose-fernandez-1992-2016/

Last edited:

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I hope in time the MLB celebrates and remembers him the same way as Roberto Clemente.

Just as good just as tragic.

Lucky to watch him pitch multiple times.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
So how is he seen now that we know he was drunk & coked up and speeding recklessly? Still a tragic accident?

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Coked up or not, its still tragic :shakehead

Yup.

While the rumors came to be true, coke/booze him driving, still a sad story for all involved.

Read Hyde's article this am. Can't say he's being too harsh though.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
So how is he seen now that we know he was drunk & coked up and speeding recklessly? Still a tragic accident?

While I am not saying the use of cocaine doesn't have negative effects, it also isn't the cause of the accident. The cause of the accident is most likely alcohol combined with the darkness of the night. Cocaine in this case can be seen as a "character" flaw more than the cause of the accident.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
He made a horribly stupid decision that he paid the ultimate price for and took two other lives. That doesn't mean his three years bringing life to the community never happened or that his time here wasn't special. To me, death doesn't become less tragic or more deserved because of the story behind it in any case.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
WOW.

Just wow, Cocaine and Alcohol have nothing to do with visibility of a rock pile sticking out into the waters…at night. So he could've had the ability to yell "OH ****" before it was too late? That's about as much of a difference that would've actually made (for those who have ever actually done either substance together).
Would've happened regardless.

Tragedy.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007

Of course it's still tragic. Regardless of how three people died including one who was beloved by an entire city and still is. Changes nothing. He made a mistake yes but I think he's paid for it

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017

As soon as the circumstances of his death were announced, who didn't know that he was drunk and coked up and speeding recklessly? So, I don't feel any differently about him now that they have confirmed what every boater in South Florida knew right away: He was under the influence and being stupid.

Sure, it was a tragic accident. In classic tragedies, the characters who suffer are not perfect; often, the misfortunes they endure are the direct result of their own deeds. Jose Fernandez fits the bill.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Of course it's still tragic. Regardless of how three people died including one who was beloved by an entire city and still is. Changes nothing. He made a mistake yes but I think he's paid for it

I think the relatives of the other two dead men disagree, seeing as they have sued Joses estate for 2 mil.

Also, if he wasn't drunk and coked, maybe then he would have known not to be speeding in dark and difficult conditions?

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
Any death is tragic in my opinion.

Well, depends on if they were some awfullllllll person. I mean some genocide person.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad