OT: Marlins Pitcher Jose Fernandez Killed in Boating Accident

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Such sad news about Jose. He was one of my favorite pitchers in the game. Straight nasty filth came out his hand.

RIP Jose, and sorry for your loss Fish fans, this has got to guy wrenching.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Stopping by to offer my condolences. Was absolutely shocked to hear the news this morning. DC sports fans understand what it's like to lose a supreme young talent at the beginning of his career. RIP Jose, and best of luck to his family, friends, the Marlins, and all of Miami.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Absolutely no words...couldn't believe this when I saw hit. Very hard to fathom.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Heard about it during the Dolphins broadcast. Announcers said there was a moment of silence held before the game and talked briefly about JF.

Very very sad news. Thoughts and prayers go out to the Fernandez family. RIP JF.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Still can't believe the news... my brother-in-law took his sons to the Marlins game on Saturday and Jose was there watching the game from the dugout. Turned around and gave a baseball to my nephews. Great guy and great loss for our community.

Gone way too soon. RIP

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I haven't been much of a Marlins fan over the last five years or so as I once was, but I know how much of an impact Jose meant to not only the Marlins, but to baseball as a whole and to South Florida with so many Cuban-Americans.

I was in absolute shock this morning when a friend sent me a text with the news. I then went on Twitter to find hundreds of others with the same reaction. Ten hours later, and I still can't believe this tragedy actually happened.

My thoughts are with his family and pregnant girlfriend. He was everything you could ask for in an athlete and person and was great for baseball to attract fans. The support from around MLB and all over sports has been incredible.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I haven't been much of a Marlins fan over the last five years or so as I once was, but I know how much of an impact Jose meant to not only the Marlins, but to baseball as a whole and to South Florida with so many Cuban-Americans.

I was in absolute shock this morning when a friend sent me a text with the news. I then went on Twitter to find hundreds of others with the same reaction. Ten hours later, and I still can't believe this tragedy actually happened.

My thoughts are with his family and pregnant girlfriend. He was everything you could ask for in an athlete and person and was great for baseball to attract fans. The support from around MLB and all over sports has been incredible.

Agreed. Of course I'm a fan since I grew up in South Florida...I used to follow baseball like crazy until about 5-6 years ago when I just got bored of it. Over the past few seasons, I've still kept up to date on the team, prospects, stats, etc and am fully aware of all of the players on the team. I'd watch a game sometimes, maybe totaling about 20-30 over the course of the season and always loved watching Jose pitch...an athlete in it's purest form...loved playing the game just to play and have fun.

It's just unreal seeing the headlines...it doesn't make any sense.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Terrible news.

I was thrown off for a while this am.

So young.

Jesus, just saw he was going to have a kid. :(

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Really sad to hear.

He seemed like such a genuinely nice guy. I don't follow baseball but he sounded like the face of the franchise too.

I watched the video of him reuniting with his grandmother which was tough.

RIP

catEye

The Barkov Era
Dec 27, 2008
Miami, FL.
This one is a big stinger right now. Can't read too much more of this now or I fall apart here at work too :(

14474339_1243201332398555_644419817964568576_n.jpg

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Again, I hope to see you ask at the game tonight. Sold out.

Obviously I won't be there, but my team is playing game #2 of our ball finals, and you can bet it will all be left on the field like Jose would've.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Again, I hope to see you ask at the game tonight. Sold out.

Obviously I won't be there, but my team is playing game #2 of our ball finals, and you can bet it will all be left on the field like Jose would've.

Could have been sold out. Marlins raised ticket prices like the typical losers they are though. Sickening.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I basically posted this on the Isles board earlier today (they were talking about it)...I'm having a lot of emotions rushing through me but I figured this would be an appropriate place to post this.

I wasn't sure if I was going to divulge this or not, but I figured I might as well since it's nothing negative. I work where Jose went to school.

I only met him a handful of times, so I cannot honestly say that I knew him. However tons of my co-workers did, and even before this tragedy I never heard one negative thing about the guy-everything was always extremely positive (I don't feel comfortable going into specific stories, but I've heard quite a few).

I can say that everything people have read about his love for the game, his family, and everybody around him is 100% true and not exaggerated. You could tell which teachers knew him today (including a few of the remaining students who knew him). The community's definitely devastated-but that's because of how great of a person Jose was. Even after graduating years ago he was still visible around campus and remained a member of our community. We are all grieving today-and I'm sure many of you are as well.

My condolences go out to everybody here affected by this tragedy.

Sorry that you guys lost a great baseball player, and even more sorry that you lost a even better young man.

Last edited:

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

Probably the most moment emotional moment I've seen in sports.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad