Confirmed with Link: MARLIES Sign Taylor Doherty to a P.T.O.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
good luck with that. He was turrible in the Sharks system. Had plenty of chances and never seemed close to making the NHL leap even when the Sharks had awful, awful systemic defensive depth. By the end of last season some of our minor league fans were cheering when he was finally made a scratch for games at the end of the season with Worcester (AHL)

Yikes. Ah well we should see for ourselves soon enough.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
good luck with that. He was turrible in the Sharks system. Had plenty of chances and never seemed close to making the NHL leap even when the Sharks had awful, awful systemic defensive depth. By the end of last season some of our minor league fans were cheering when he was finally made a scratch for games at the end of the season with Worcester (AHL)

wow, you just don't get it do you

the playoffs are coming

the marlies are rock stars and like all rock stars they need their body guards.

we just picked up 300lb of beat you up

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
With Harrington/Loov injured and Brennan/Carrick (Connor) on the Leafs, the Marlies are down to 5 dmen. As to why they signed him specifically, I don't know.

I count 8.., but maybe I'm forgetting something..

They already have Clune, Justin Johnson, Kurtz and Sam Carrick.. who can easily handle the rough stuff..

Looks like the Leafs/Marlies are becoming the place where enforcers come to.., just before retirement..?

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I count 8.., but maybe I'm forgetting something..

Yikes, 8? Well, here's my count: Campbell, Valiev, Percy, Holl, Kolomatis (exchange Brennan for Valiev with the roster shuffling). Jared Cowen isn't going to play, just in case he gets hurt. Not sure where your other 3 guys are coming from.

EDIT: I forgot about James Martin. He was sent down to Orlando last week, so it's weird that they chose not to recall him. Has he been so bad that he isn't even capable of being an injury fill-in?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
we require proper levels of truculence, belligerence, pugnacity, and testosterone

Prepared to be disappointed. To the best of my recollection, the most common Shark-centric comparison he got was Mike Rathje, who used to make SJ fans tear their hair out wondering why a guy that big seems completely unwilling to hit anyone or play physically.

From a Leafs perspective, think Hal Gill. But worse.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Seems strange. What happened to Martin and Baier? Why can't they play?

Also, is Cowen still that hurt that he can't even play for the Marlies?

I assume the top 4 will play a lot of minutes for now.

He's been cleared to play, but they intent to buy him out. If he injures himself before the off season we cannot buy him out.

Adding Doherty as a PTO just insults the depth leading up to the post season.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Yikes, 8? Well, here's my count: Campbell, Valiev, Percy, Holl, Kolomatis (exchange Brennan for Valiev with the roster shuffling). Jared Cowen isn't going to play, just in case he gets hurt. Not sure where your other 3 guys are coming from.

EDIT: I forgot about James Martin. He was sent down to Orlando last week, so it's weird that they chose not to recall him. Has he been so bad that he isn't even capable of being an injury fill-in?

Brennan
C. Carrick (X-Leafs)
Campbell
Valiev (X-Leafs)
Percy
Holl
Loov (injured)
Harrington
Corrado (X-Leafs)
Martin (Solar Bears)
Kolomatis
Cowen (X - being bought out - not playing any more this season)
Doherty

..and they have more in the Solar Bears, who are 10th in their Conference (last/4th place in their division) right now.., but only three points away from 8th.. Still don't see them as contenders this season, though.., so I would have been calling up Nicastro, (EDIT: .. but I see his name is now X-d out on the Solar Bears roster too, so maybe he has just been called up..?)

As far as the numbers go, I guess you are right and I am wrong.. Looks like 7 available D-men right now.., when you add in Bigfoot..

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'd assume that he's perfectly serviceable for the AHL but was judged as having zero future as an NHL prospect. If you look, the Sharks actually gave him another contract, so he couldn't have been that terrible.

Last edited:

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Why are we signing guys that likely won't play in the NHL

Because our affiliate needs to ice a team with 6 defencemen on it, even though I don't agree with this PTO there are probably better players in the east coast league the Marlies needed a defenceman simple as that.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Prepared to be disappointed. To the best of my recollection, the most common Shark-centric comparison he got was Mike Rathje, who used to make SJ fans tear their hair out wondering why a guy that big seems completely unwilling to hit anyone or play physically.

From a Leafs perspective, think Hal Gill. But worse.
So Keith Aulie?

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Brennan
C. Carrick (X-Leafs)
Campbell
Valiev (X-Leafs)
Percy
Holl
Loov (injured)
Harrington
Corrado (X-Leafs)
Martin (Solar Bears)
Kolomatis
Cowen (X - being bought out - not playing any more this season)
Doherty

..and they have more in the Solar Bears, who are 10th in their Conference (last/4th place in their division) right now.., but only three points away from 8th.. Still don't see them as contenders this season, though.., so I would have been calling up Nicastro, (EDIT: .. but I see his name is now X-d out on the Solar Bears roster too, so maybe he has just been called up..?)

As far as the numbers go, I guess you are right and I am wrong.. Looks like 7 available D-men right now.., when you add in Bigfoot..

There is also Eric Baier. I'm not sure what his story is.

Nicastro appears to be on the Rapid City Rush now.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
There is also Eric Baier. I'm not sure what his story is.

Nicastro appears to be on the Rapid City Rush now.

I haven't been keeping up with the Solar Bears very good, this season.. Didn't know that.. Thanks..

Baier's the Bears top D-man though, so I doubt they want to lose him, if they are still seriosuly in the hunt..?

Jes5ant

Mar 5, 2014
So he's a giant who loves to fight but doesn't hit? Something doesn't add up. Can he not catch up to people?

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I haven't been keeping up with the Solar Bears very good, this season.. Didn't know that.. Thanks..

Baier's the Bears top D-man though, so I doubt they want to lose him, if they are still seriosuly in the hunt..?

Last i checked Eric Baier was on a PTO for the Stockton Heat.

EDIT: Nevermind, he is back with the Bears

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
The Orlando Solar Bears are in Brampton tonight, you'd think now would be the perfect time to call up Eric Baier or James Martin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad