Confirmed with Link: MARLIES Sign Taylor Doherty to a P.T.O.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Toronto Marlies @TorontoMarlies 4h
#MarliesLive News: #Marlies sign defenceman Taylor Doherty to a PTO.

Why they are signing another enforcer is beyond me..?

MARLIES SIGN TAYLOR DOHERTY TO PTO

.."The native of Cambridge is a hulking 6'7 and weighs 235 pounds, making him one of the largest physical specimens playing the sport professionally at the moment."....

Drafted in the second round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft by the San Jose Sharks, 25 year old defenseman Doherty will likely fill the blue line spaces left by both Viktor Loov (recalled by the NHL’s Maple Leafs and then injured) and Brennan (recalled to replace Loov).

He’s been in the ECHL this year with the Rapid City Rush, so there isn’t much hope that Doherty is a diamond in the rough; but for the Marlies, the blue liner will at least bring size. The former second rounder – who spent his first four years of pro hockey with the AHL’s Worcester Sharks in San Jose’s system – stands at 6 foot 7 and 235 lbs. He may not bring much to replace Brennan’s scoring, as the recently-recalled blue liner leads the Marlies in scoring with 55 points in 59 games, but he’ll at least serve as an extra healthy body in the lineup.

Prior to the loss of Brennan and Loov, the Marlies sat first in the AHL with 90 points in 60 games. They’re not likely to fall out of a post-season berth, even with their talent exodus to the NHL – but as the PTO for Doherty proves, the team is running out of roster players heading down the final stretch.

FROM: --> http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/taylor-doherty-inks-pto-with-marlies/

Taylor Doherty
Defense -- shoots R
Born Mar 2 1991 -- Cambridge, ONT
[25 yrs. ago]
Height 6.07 -- Weight 235

2015-16 - Rapid City Rush - ECHL - 56 Games... 8 goals... 16 Assists... 24 Points..

Mar. 7th 2015 - Gillies vs Doherty

John Kurtz vs Taylor Doherty Sep 20, 2013

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
nothing wrong with protecting our assets in the fricking AHL.

(nothing wrong with the A, but we don't want our future NHLers getting gooned in the minors)

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
how many minutes until a montage is made for him, seer? :D

How many minutes until next season begins..? :D

If you keep track, there are many players we have just aquired, that I haven't done montages for..

I know.. I make a lot.., though.. :sueme: :laugh:

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
How many minutes until next season begins..? :D

If you keep track, there are many players we have just aquired, that I haven't done montages for..

I know.. I make a lot.. :sueme: :laugh:

313642 by my calculation

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Why they are signing another enforcer is beyond me..?

With Harrington/Loov injured and Brennan/Carrick (Connor) on the Leafs, the Marlies are down to 5 dmen. As to why they signed him specifically, I don't know.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
giphy.gif

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
With Harrington/Loov injured and Brennan/Carrick (Connor) on the Leafs, the Marlies are down to 5 dmen. As to why they signed him specifically, I don't know.

Seems strange. What happened to Martin and Baier? Why can't they play?

Also, is Cowen still that hurt that he can't even play for the Marlies?

I assume the top 4 will play a lot of minutes for now.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Seems strange. What happened to Martin and Baier? Why can't they play?

Also, is Cowen still that hurt that he can't even play for the Marlies?

I assume the top 4 will play a lot of minutes for now.

Should he become injured they can't buy him out in the summer.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
There is also this now. I grabbed this for the Marlies thread. I don't know if Loov is healthy or they'll call somebody else up but it seems the Marlies now have 6 defenceman again. (Not including the Doherty PTO).

Pholus

May 23, 2014
This might explain why they didn't bring back someone from the Solar Bears:

With players only able to sign two PTO's a season, the Marlies likely picked Doherty over, say, one of the Orlando Solar Bears options in order to keep those players available to the further down the stretch.

I didn't realize there was a limit to bringing up players on ECHL contracts.

Source: http://theleafsnation.com/2016/3/10/marlies-sign-taylor-doherty-to-pto

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
He's a big mean defenseman that isn't a great skater and has no offensive instincts. Low hockey IQ but he's serviceable defensively on an AHL bottom pair. No real offensive upside, honestly.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I recall a lot of herp derping around here when we didn't take him in the draft

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Nothing seems to be random to Dubas and co. They may have some insight to Doherty's abilities and potential fit with the Marlies. The Solar Bears were just in town for 3 games - perfect time to survey their roster and pluck the needed d-man from there.

Therefore Doherty may bring some unknown untapped something to the Marlies???

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not to be confused with John Doherty, who was also drafted 57th overall by the Leafs in 2003.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
good luck with that. He was turrible in the Sharks system. Had plenty of chances and never seemed close to making the NHL leap even when the Sharks had awful, awful systemic defensive depth. By the end of last season some of our minor league fans were cheering when he was finally made a scratch for games at the end of the season with Worcester (AHL)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad