Confirmed with Link: Marlies relieve Gord Dineen as HC of Marlies

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
We did hire Wes Clark and Lindsay Hofford as scouts. Clark officially is one; it's on the Leafs management website. Lindsay Hofford is apparently officially hired, but I'm waiting for a source and what exactly it will be. I expect it is either scouting or player development.

-Head Coach
-Assistant Coach
-Assistant Coach
-General Manager
-Director of Player Development (Hofford could become this)
-Probably another 15 scouts (Hofford could become one)
-Director of Pro Scouting
-Video Coach
-Goalie Coach
-Conditioning Coach
-Marlies Head Coach
-Marlies Associate Coach (Dineen could become this)
-Marlies Assistant Coach

Plus Ben Simon will fill some sort of role, and there are some roles that aren't deemed necessary, but are also vacant and may be filled (i.e. We had 2 video coaches, we may want some more associates, scouts, coaches, etc. but they aren't exactly necessary beyond the above).

So we have no director of scouting and missing probably (lol) 15 scouts, yea this doesn't look that appealing with a month to go in the draft.

Thanks though, this is good information.

13ones

Apr 17, 2015
So we have no director of scouting and missing probably (lol) 15 scouts, yea this doesn't look that appealing with a month to go in the draft.

The Director of PRO scouting has nothing to do with the draft. The PRO scout would evaluate UFA's, players to target in trades etc.

Hunter is in charge of the draft.

Having 150 scouts that are clueless does not help the team, it just creates an environment where clueless people have input into important decisions. Having a handful of scouts that are really good is all that is needed.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
Trust me, we don't need a dozen people to do a draft !!

The Director of PRO scouting has nothing to do with the draft. The PRO scout would evaluate UFA's, players to target in trades etc.

Hunter is in charge of the draft.

Having 150 scouts that are clueless does not help the team, it just creates an environment where clueless people have input into important decisions. Having a handful of scouts that are really good is all that is needed.

yea maybe, idk, i just doubt that you can let go of 15 jobs without having any reprecussions 1 or 2 is fine but not 15.Right now all I see are glaring holes in management and not them being filled anytime soon. There are limited experienced people in the front office and it doesn't look like we're about to get any more.

I am not totally against the Shanaplan but so far it leaves much to be desired.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

They all filed reports. It's not like Shanahan, Hunter and Dubas are going in blind. I am sure drafting won't be a problem as they scratch people off the list using the internal BPA list.

The concern is the trade end of things and signings.

13ones

Apr 17, 2015
Please also remember that these scouts were let go based on their work in previous drafts. Shanahan went through these scouts draft lists from the past and determined that they didn't have a clue what they were looking at. I am not worried at all that we let those people go.

The worst thing that Shanahan could do right now is hire the first people that come along for the other positions available. Getting these hirings right are the most important thing that he is going to do as president.

Worst case scenario by waiting is we go in to the draft and next season with no more scouts, Hunter as interim GM. If we get coaches/assistant coaches who are not ready for the NHL, then we end up last and have a great draft next year or 2 and get new coaches when we have a bunch of talent on the team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Interesting to hear the name DJ Smith being thrown around. Another lifetime ago he was the lone Islanders prospect coming back with Wendel Clark and Mathieu Schneider for Kenny Jonsson and the Roberto Luongo pick. Was with the Leafs for a few years and was pegged as a rugged defenseman with some upside but never caught on.

dj.jpeg

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dineen did a good job this year, team started slow and ended on a high. A lot due to Dineen's guidance. Tough break for him. Would have liked to have seen him return as Head Coach.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

Liked this part a lot

...that goes from Orlando to the Marlies...
how deep does our affiliation with Orlando go? Do we actually build their coaching staff? I thought that was on them.
I do know Orlando is without a head coach right now though... so that means we need an NHL, AHL, and ECHL coach this off-season, if it actually is MLSE responsibility.

As for Dineen, I don't fully endorse this move, but I get wanting to clean house

Last edited:

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
how deep does our affiliation with Orlando go? Do we actually build their coaching staff? I thought that was on them.
I do know Orlando is without a head coach right now though... so that means we need an NHL, AHL, and ECHL coach this off-season, if it actually is MLSE responsibility.

As for Dineen, I don't fully endorse this move, but I get wanting to clean house

Our ECHL team should be

http://www.bramptonbeast.com/

Weird to have our system as

Florida -> Ontario -> Ontario

when we could have

Ontario straight through. Keep it all close to home.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Dineen did a good job this year, team started slow and ended on a high. A lot due to Dineen's guidance. Tough break for him. Would have liked to have seen him return as Head Coach.

Leipsic, Nylander and Brennan certainly helped with that.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's a humbling decision to take a demotion from head coach to associate coach.

Still, I'm impressed with the decisiveness of these moves. There are clearly few face-saving decisions being made by this front office at the moment (that may come later). If there hadn't been this organizational purge, there's little doubt that Dineen would have kept his job as a part of a public display of a positive in the organization.

I'll choose to see this as a big positive because this summer MLSE has a spartan management group ready to make (hopefully) rational dispassionate decisions regarding every aspect of the organization: coaching, amateur scouting, pro scouting, front office, players AND prospects. I'm expecting just as radical decisions regarding players this summer.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Last domino is probably Dave Morrison.

I honestly don't see him staying very long. I wouldn't even be surprised if he was gone by July.

He hasn't had a lot to work with most years but he also hasn't taken advantage of what he was given in some years. Just very average all around.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Has any team ever fired this many people in one off season and not made any replacements? It has to be what 25+ people at this point?

If this was Sept and going into the rookie tourney, I'd be concerned.
Right now....not so much, plus there are people, who are still concentrating on their still playing teams.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
We did hire Wes Clark and Lindsay Hofford as scouts. Clark officially is one; it's on the Leafs management website. Lindsay Hofford is apparently officially hired, but I'm waiting for a source and what exactly it will be. I expect it is either scouting or player development.

-Head Coach
-Assistant Coach
-Assistant Coach
-General Manager
-Director of Player Development (Hofford could become this)
-Probably another 15 scouts (Hofford could become one)
-Director of Pro Scouting
-Video Coach
-Goalie Coach
-Conditioning Coach
-Marlies Head Coach
-Marlies Associate Coach (Dineen could become this)
-Marlies Assistant Coach

Plus Ben Simon will fill some sort of role, and there are some roles that aren't deemed necessary, but are also vacant and may be filled (i.e. We had 2 video coaches, we may want some more associates, scouts, coaches, etc. but they aren't exactly necessary beyond the above).

I expect that they are going to streamline things a lot. I suspect shanny/hunter/dubas were not particular fond of the large management team size and might want to fix it a little. I think scouting will see this biggest change, I doubt we see a scouting team near the 25-30 number we saw in previous years.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Dreger just mentioned something about Keefe coming on as the Marlies HC. Guess it's close to being done.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Sens fan here, just wondering about demoting Dineen after one year as HC, firing the assistants.

A bit rough given they won 40 games and finished 2nd in their Division, no?

especially given that the leafs were ranked 19 overall in terms of prospects.

Is it just simply to start anew for the sake of it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad