Confirmed with Link: Marlies relieve Gord Dineen as HC of Marlies

CalgaryLeaf*

It's about time the Marlies got a stud head coach who can teach...They really haven't developed many players the last several years.Good move by Shanny/Dubas.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Liked this part a lot

Q. What is the philosophy you want? What is the shift as you see it?

A. The shift is there are strong incentives for organizations in the NHL to develop elite coaches within. There's an incentive system and a compensation system whereby if we are grooming our own coaches, that goes from Orlando to the Marlies and all the way to the 29 other NHL clubs where we hope we're developing coaches that other teams want to pay us draft picks to one day hire. I think if you look at the coaches that have been in that realm recently, they're all younger coaches that find their way up and that's our philosophy that we're looking to do here in Toronto.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Based on Dubas' comments it's pretty clear we're going to see a shift into developing our coaches in the minors much like we are our players. Bringing them up through our system to build them up for a HC with the main club.

The decision was based on the fact we're undergoing, as everybody knows, a big organizational shift in philosophy and part of that is wanting to bring on an elite, young coach that we can groom along here.

So if this is their position and they stick with it; we'll be seeing our organization build around home grown players, and coaching moving forward.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
call me conservative but i'd like them to start filling some holes rather than create new ones. There's no head coach, no GM (probably no one coming), no goalie coach, big lack of scouts. And now they're purging the marlies management.

It's not like they're dozens of highly qualified people lining up to take jobs from the marlies. Hiring people is going to take a lot of time and effort if it's going to be done right. Frankly i see shanny just rushing to get the positions filled and doing the same thing next year.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
What has Keefe won? Nothing.

I think Steve Spott should have remained Marlies HC.

edit: DJ Smith would be the best hire imo.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Associate coach Derek King and Assistant Coach Ben Simon are also gone, but Simon is going elsewhere in the organization (I wonder where, but it shouldn't be up), and Dineen is requested in an associate role, but may look elsewhere for a job first.

Lindsay Hofford is also officially a part of the front office, but it is not known for what exactly. Probably is going to be a scout and/or in development.

Fill one spot, make 3 more. :laugh: We still need to hire another 20-25 people for our front office. Hofford is not going to be anything major.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Has any team ever fired this many people in one off season and not made any replacements? It has to be what 25+ people at this point?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
call me conservative but i'd like them to start filling some holes rather than create new ones. There's no head coach, no GM (probably no one coming), no goalie coach, big lack of scouts. And now they're purging the marlies management.

It's not like they're dozens of highly qualified people lining up to take jobs from the marlies. Hiring people is going to take a lot of time and effort if it's going to be done right. Frankly i see shanny just rushing to get the positions filled and doing the same thing next year.

We did hire Wes Clark and Lindsay Hofford as scouts. Clark officially is one; it's on the Leafs management website. Lindsay Hofford is apparently officially hired, but I'm waiting for a source and what exactly it will be. I expect it is either scouting or player development.

-Head Coach
-Assistant Coach
-Assistant Coach
-General Manager
-Director of Player Development (Hofford could become this)
-Probably another 15 scouts (Hofford could become one)
-Director of Pro Scouting
-Video Coach
-Goalie Coach
-Conditioning Coach
-Marlies Head Coach
-Marlies Associate Coach (Dineen could become this)
-Marlies Assistant Coach

Plus Ben Simon will fill some sort of role, and there are some roles that aren't deemed necessary, but are also vacant and may be filled (i.e. We had 2 video coaches, we may want some more associates, scouts, coaches, etc. but they aren't exactly necessary beyond the above).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad