Confirmed with Link: Marlies relieve Gord Dineen as HC of Marlies

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
Does anyone else get the feeling that Dubas maybe has a bit too much control over all parts of the organization, or at least the most important part, since we're rebuilding? I mean he seems like a smart enough fellow, but he used to be an NHL agent, and he was given his previous start in the OHL on the backs of a family connection.

I dunno, seems strange to me to give so much power to a guy that hasn't really proven a heck of a lot of anything. Now all of a sudden the organization is essentially becoming a landing spot for OHL coaches and executives who don't have any NHL experience.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
Sens fan here, just wondering about demoting Dineen after one year as HC, firing the assistants.

A bit rough given they won 40 games and finished 2nd in their Division, no?

especially given that the leafs were ranked 19 overall in terms of prospects.

Is it just simply to start anew for the sake of it?

yea he did a very good job, I think new management just wants their own people in key positions. I am a little upset about it, the guy did the best he could but not very surprised. Hopefully, it works out will we'll see.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Sens fan here, just wondering about demoting Dineen after one year as HC, firing the assistants.

A bit rough given they won 40 games and finished 2nd in their Division, no?

especially given that the leafs were ranked 19 overall in terms of prospects.

Is it just simply to start anew for the sake of it?

My opinion: I do not think Dineen performed well with the team he had. Marlies struggled due to lack of scoring initially but the additions to the team compensated for this. We added the following to the top six who contributed close to a PPG: Froese, Nylander, Frattin. We have a solid defense (Macwilliam, Mikkelson, Loov, Granberg, and perhaps Percy. Bibeau and Gibson comprised our goaltending. We took the first two games from GR, and from then, it was our series to lose. I think the team could have done better and it appears Dineen was outcoached.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Does anyone else get the feeling that Dubas maybe has a bit too much control over all parts of the organization, or at least the most important part, since we're rebuilding? I mean he seems like a smart enough fellow, but he used to be an NHL agent, and he was given his previous start in the OHL on the backs of a family connection.

I dunno, seems strange to me to give so much power to a guy that hasn't really proven a heck of a lot of anything. Now all of a sudden the organization is essentially becoming a landing spot for OHL coaches and executives who don't have any NHL experience.

Hes the assistant GM. If Shanny wasnt comfortable with him making these decisions, he wouldnt be the AGM.

That said, I sincerely doubt hes making HUGE decisions on his own.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
My opinion: I do not think Dineen performed well with the team he had. Marlies struggled due to lack of scoring initially but the additions to the team compensated for this. We added the following to the top six who contributed close to a PPG: Froese, Nylander, Frattin. We have a solid defense (Macwilliam, Mikkelson, Loov, Granberg, and perhaps Percy. Bibeau and Gibson comprised our goaltending. We took the first two games from GR, and from then, it was our series to lose. I think the team could have done better and it appears Dineen was outcoached.
I agree. Don't think the Marlies roster was utilised well. Leivo, for example, didn't look as good. We can't just be carried by a Nylander - Brown pair and ought to field more of a developmental roster as well.

Expect Nylander as a centre. Gauthier in the middle, etc.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
I agree. Don't think the Marlies roster was utilised well. Leivo, for example, didn't look as good. We can't just be carried by a Nylander - Brown pair and ought to field more of a developmental roster as well.

Expect Nylander as a centre. Gauthier in the middle, etc.

I forgot about Leivo lol. It's as if they have immediately assumed Nylander is going to fail at center.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Not surprised that he was fired, but I definitely thought that it was going to be next year.

Before the Babcock hiring, I thought the plan would be to bring in an experienced coach or at least one that's been around the league for a bit. And then as an assistant coach, they would bring in Sheldon Keefe for 1 year to learn how the systems that they would implement in the organization.

They did the exact same thing with Blashill & Babcock. In 2011, Blashill took the assistant role and learned everything from what Babcock had to offer. He then went to the Gryphons and is now amongst the best coaches that aren't in the NHL right now and will likely be the next Red Wings coach. And the best thing is for him, is he doesn't have to change a thing.

I still feel very strong about the idea of bringing in Keefe for a year under Babcock. It does leave the Marlies in limbo for another year though.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Is there anything to indicate they're gonna do that though?
I hope so. Should figure out if he's got the aptitude for it in the AHL - can't exactly do a trial like that in the NHL.
I think they will. Right now jingoism is running high with many thinking that drafting Marner and Brown will suffice. However, I see it being a much longer-term development. Let's be realistic here: we suck.

We need to be wealthy in the middle. That includes trying to develop Kadri, Nylander, Marner ( if selected), Brown/ Mathews into top line centres. We also need to strength the two-way front in Gauthier, maybe Holland, Verhaeghe, EK ( if drafted) among others.

How these pieces fit in together can be a long-term doesn't concern me. That is why I don't mind sending JVR, Kessel, Phaneuf, and the rest out immediately. I think we need to start having that talent depth that elite clubs possess. A longer-term rebuild with a strong coach, a sustainable playing style and an identity is what we require.

I forgot about Leivo lol. It's as if they have immediately assumed Nylander is going to fail at center.
Exactly.

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013
We need to be wealthy in the middle. That includes trying to develop Kadri, Nylander, Marner ( if selected), Brown/ Mathews into top line centres. We also need to strength the two-way front in Gauthier, maybe Holland, Verhaeghe, EK ( if drafted) among others.

Agreed. This is so vital.
I actually see Nylander as having pretty good potential to flourish as a center under Babcock. Just need to see if he can take some initial steps in the AHL.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Not really, he's a smart guy who, so far, has made some good decisions. The previous group were bad at their jobs, changes have been a long time coming.

This Marlies move is a good example - they really didn't have a great year.

bretzky29ca*

Everybody on this board is conjuring that Kelly McCrimmon MAY be involved in talks to join the Maple Leafs in some sort of front office capacity. What's not being discussed is an option that should gander more credence and that is McCrimmon possibly taking over the Marlies. Everybody marvels about McCrimmon's ability to build is, albeit true, overshadowing his ability as a great hockey coach For years, he has been getting the best out of players in Brandon and turning average players into serviceable WHlers.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Wasn't Gilmour already Marlies coach back in 2006?

Dougie is happy with his GM role in Kingston

Dougie for Leafs GM.

PR move, guy who can be another face of the franchise and work the phones while the guys decide things by committee.

Poach yet another OHL GM.

Seems appropriate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad