Marlies / Prospects Thread Spring 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

glasses91

Jul 10, 2012
Steelheads!?
Can we all agree Percy is very skilled?

Granberg has knocked a few helmets off but, I have more trust in Percy with the puck.

Kenny Ryan is a frontline soldier.

Stupid goal horn and graphics that made me want to puke kinda turned me off of watching the whole game.

Mike1

Jul 29, 2002
Mississauga,Ontario
Visit site
“Look who is winning it for so many teams, guys such as Brandon Bollig, Brian Boyle, Dale Weise, the impact of third and fourth-liners. Everyone has two or three top-line players. It’s the balance you need.

Doesn't surprise me that someone from Leafs management chooses to highlight the contributions of three role-players but ignores all the players with skill really making an impact out there. I don't want to completely crap on those players because they have been effective in their roles but it's this mentality that really ticks me off. It's at the core of the flawed thinking that this organization has clung too for a long time....

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
For those watching, how have Leivo, Holland and D'Amigo played? Their numbers obviously look good but how have they played?

I figure those 3 (plus Ashton) have the best chance at the Leafs roster next season.

mikebel111*

For those watching, how have Leivo, Holland and D'Amigo played? Their numbers obviously look good but how have they played?

I figure those 3 (plus Ashton) have the best chance at the Leafs roster next season.

Update

Jerry has been a playoff beast as usual.
Holland is too good for this level and it shows
Leivo has made some nice progress, better 2 way player now though I think he needs one more season
Ashton has been great as well, so good along the boards and in transition. his speed and body make it tough to contain him. Ashton and Holland already have great chemistry as well.

Jerry, Holland, Ashton should be on the leafs next season:)

Number13

May 21, 2007
I've been very disappointed by Abbott since he's returned. He looks a step behind the offense, and when he isn't scoring, he's not doing a whole lot else. He's admitted he's still trying to get his timing back, but there isn't a whole lot of time to do so, especially when we've got rested, eager youngsters ready to step in.

And Ashton is a warrior out there, always a thorn in the other team's side and is just starting to know how to really use his big frame.

Hope Bringer

Jan 6, 2010
Holland looks like the best player on the ice most nights. He has definitely outgrown the AHL.
13's right, Abbott isn't really contributing much since coming back, and with the big D that Texas has, i think it might be more beneficial to dress bigger players like Biggs and Broll over him.
I found it encouraging to see that in his first game of the series, Ross really got under the Texas skin, and i thought he was fairly effective in his limited time. I think this series could get pretty nasty from here on in, so getting some of our tougher kids in the lineup might help out

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Bench Abbott... the top regular season scorer on the team, who has five points in six games since returning on a team that has lost one playoff game in total. Why didn't Spott think of that himself??? And dress two players who still haven't reached double digits in goals for the season. Makes sense to me.

In answer to another poster, D'Amigo has been great and looks ready to play in the bottom six of an NHL team, IMO. I hope it's the Leafs. He did make a bad defensive play on the key goal last night that made it 4-3 for the Stars. But otherwise, the guy has been money. I think D'Amigo, Holland and Ashton all look NHL ready and Leivo looks close.

mikebel111*

Spott was really happy with Abbott last night. We need him to on offense. But the PP is brutal. I put Percy with Brennan on top unit. Than Abbott maybe on wing on PP

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON
Can we all agree Percy is very skilled?

Granberg has knocked a few helmets off but, I have more trust in Percy with the puck.

Kenny Ryan is a frontline soldier.

Stupid goal horn and graphics that made me want to puke kinda turned me off of watching the whole game.

I knooooow. Haha those goal scoring animations... I was so angry haha

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I knooooow. Haha those goal scoring animations... I was so angry haha

Hate it too. And even more, that they only show sad Stars after Toronto goals and no replay or cheering Marlies.

Ashton looks good, Holland even better, D'Amigo should play on the 4th Leafs line next season and Leivo needs a little bit more time but will be the best of them.

Number13

May 21, 2007
Tyler Biggs

He's coming back in the lineup tonight. We need to give this guy time, he is a physical specimen. Those who are already saying bust need to shake your head, power forwards take longer to develop. He's getting stronger every year and if given the patience to develop some offense in the AHL, he could be a very strong asset for us.

There are few players his age with this kind of work ethic, this kid wants it:

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
He's coming back in the lineup tonight. We need to give this guy time, he is a physical specimen. Those who are already saying bust need to shake your head, power forwards take longer to develop. He's getting stronger every year and if given the patience to develop some offense in the AHL, he could be a very strong asset for us.

Hell yeah. So excited to see him in the lineup. First game since round 1 game 2. Nice to see Spott actually rotating the kids in now like he said. Hopefuly we've seen the last of mclaren. Where did u read he was playing btw? I couldn't find any tweets

CaymanIslands

Apr 12, 2014
Cayman Islands
I 100% agree Biggs deserves more time...he is already a monster and is working non stop and has great attitude....

How many complainers here would admit the error if he is dealt and comes back to wreck havoc..?

My guess is zero..

Number13

May 21, 2007
Hell yeah. So excited to see him in the lineup. First game since round 1 game 2. Nice to see Spott actually rotating the kids in now like he said. Hopefuly we've seen the last of mclaren. Where did u read he was playing btw? I couldn't find any tweets

Spott mentioned it in his pre game interview I believe.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Good net protection by Biggs.
Been happy with him all season despite few minutes played.

Penalty was a bit erroneous...

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Good net protection by Biggs.
Been happy with him all season despite few minutes played.

Penalty was a bit erroneous...

Biggs was pretty good last night, but then the 4th line was the most effective line(according to the announcers). I thought all of Biggs/Ross/Ryan did a good job of being physical and establishing a forecheck in the Stars zone. Not too much skill displayed, but definitely better for Biggs/Ross to be on the 4th line than in the seats.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland

I don't like Biggs as a first round pick we made, but this video shows a lot. He really has the work ethic to become an NHLer. He will be there in few years. I hope he will be with us at the age Nyquist joined Detroit. He can be a useful player.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Hat trick Abbott!

Another reason why i think he can have success at the NHL is exactly what the announcer mentioned...
you don't need a rocket shot to score. Abbott has great hands.

Good cover by Leivo too.

---

Also, I've been waiting 2 years to see Brad Ross play like this.
It's awesome and i hope he keeps this up from now on.

---

Also glad to see MacWilliam on the ice to finish the game.
The guy made a couple gaffs down the stretch but it's the exception not the rule with him.

---

Granberg and Percy are both excellent.
Got to think they're both well on their way to the NHL, and not as #6ers.

Last edited:

mikebel111*

Team stepped up after Spott called them out. It can be seen they love Spott as a coach.
Also a big PK at the end, you know who was there on the ice on the PK?
Percy and Granberg. Spott leaned on those 2 kids at a crucial time and were excellent.

mikebel111*

Nope. Smithson came in for Biggs, Holzer was hurt so Yeo played as well

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Team stepped up after Spott called them out. It can be seen they love Spott as a coach.
Also a big PK at the end, you know who was there on the ice on the PK?
Percy and Granberg. Spott leaned on those 2 kids at a crucial time and were excellent

Agreed, I thought both had really good games. It's nice to see that Spott has so much confidence in them, makes you think they aren't too far away from the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad