Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like Robertson but he easily gets thrown around at the NHL level.

Sad to say that if he can't plant his skates and secure his position on the ice I don't see I spot for him right now unless we promote someone from the 3rd line to the 1st and put him on the 3rd. He's a waste on the 4th line. We need a strong net front presence so the M&M can cycle with space, Bunting works well with M&M because he can cycle with them but still cause havoc in front of the net that forces teams to pay attention to him, can't see Robertson doing that right now.

As of now he's the skilled speedy small forward with a good shot and not a liability in the dzone.
He's just a different kind of player. It's not like we can just replace a player perfectly every time.

Robertson provides speed, a shot and skill. He works hard along the boards. He doesn't quit. He might not be physically dominating but the guy can provide Caufield skill to a lineup that is fairly heavy towards 4 players.

I'd rather Robertson play high in the lineup than any one else we have.

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
He's just a different kind of player. It's not like we can just replace a player perfectly every time.

Robertson provides speed, a shot and skill. He works hard along the boards. He doesn't quit. He might not be physically dominating but the guy can provide Caufield skill to a lineup that is fairly heavy towards 4 players.

I'd rather Robertson play high in the lineup than any one else we have.
Do the Leafs trust Robertson? I think people see his drive and his skill but it has gone nowhere for him at the NHL level. Leafs are big on "trust" over "skill" hence Holl's deployment. I like him, but I don't think they're confident in him making his road back difficult to see.

The guy does have as many goals in 4 playoff games as he does in his 15 career regular season games...one. If memory serves, he was also responsible for a key goal against vs. CBJ which adds to the lack of trust.

You want to see him. Do you think the Leafs do? Went to check Twitter to see if they'd called any forward up. There's nothing tweeted, at this point. I guess they'll experiment tonight before they consider that route.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Do the Leafs trust Robertson? I think people see his drive and his skill but it has gone nowhere for him at the NHL level. Leafs are big on "trust" over "skill" hence Holl's deployment. I like him, but I don't think they're confident in him making his road back difficult to see.

The guy does have as many goals in 4 playoff games as he does in his 15 career regular season games...one. If memory serves, he was also responsible for a key goal against vs. CBJ which adds to the lack of trust.

You want to see him. Do you think the Leafs do? Went to check Twitter to see if they'd called any forward up. There's nothing tweeted, at this point. I guess they'll experiment tonight before they consider that route.

Why wouldn't they trust him? He got unlucky with injuries and he needed to play. He's been dominating with the Marlies.

The Marlies are in Toronto and the Leafs are in Washington. They have Abruzzese and Spezza as forwards to use. They probably won't make a call-up for tonight. They might not make a call-up at all.

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
Why wouldn't they trust him? He got unlucky with injuries and he needed to play. He's been dominating with the Marlies.

The Marlies are in Toronto and the Leafs are in Washington. They have Abruzzese and Spezza as forwards to use. They probably won't make a call-up for tonight. They might not make a call-up at all.
If you don't see trust as an issue, then he should be a viable option.

Was just curious how you saw that part of the equation. There are many things fans believe and want to see, but the org has to believe them, too. Didn't know if you felt this about Robertson, personally, but didn't think it would ever happen because what you think and the org thinks are different things.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Moore actually got a lineup fairly correct for once (considering Kral is hurt and Dahlstrom is with the Leafs).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
so did ho-sang do what he has been notorious about all skill but no drive yet again?

He doesn't have enough skill to be a full time NHLer. NHL hands and feet, but nothing else is good enough to be an NHLer. His shot is meh. His passing skills and vision are meh. He sucks in tight and in his own end even when he tries.

Hands and speed is not enough to make the NHL. Not when everything else is mediocre at best.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
He needs to work his core strength lower body.
This and his skating. I can't recall seeing a player fall down so much at the NHL. It's likely a combination of strength and nerves, but once he improves this side of his game he should be able to stick with the team. I'm looking forward to seeing the next wave of players like Robertson and Knies break through on this team.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
so did ho-sang do what he has been notorious about all skill but no drive yet again?

Drive hasn't been a problem. Ability has. See @SeaOfBlue for a pretty accurate synopsis. He has elite skating and puck handling, and below average everything else. While he wows you skating around, not much positive happens on the ice... not enough at the AHL level, not much in the Olympics, and certainly it won't work in the NHL. He's likely off to Europe for next year.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Kind of suprised.
Thought Petruzelli would have gotten an ELC, and McKay doesn't really project higher than him or Woll
He'll likely need to start in the ECHL, but is already turning 25 this year, so he's going to have jump several others and climb the ranks rather quickly to make it.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Didn't even get an ELC. He wasn't really worth one, especially with the drug thing. He is suspended until the start next year.

He competes for Petruzzelli to replace Hutchinson as the Marlies #3, but more likely he is replacing Petruzzelli as the full time Growlers' starter.

2021-2022 -> 2022-2023 -> 2023-2024
Campbell -> ??? -> ???
Mrazek -> Mrazek -> Woll
---
Woll -> Woll -> Kallgren/SPC
Kallgren -> Kallgren -> Petruzzelli
Hutchinson -> Petruzzelli -> McKay
---
Petruzzelli -> McKay -> Akhtyamov/AHL Contract

Reactions: hockeywiz542

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
This and his skating. I can't recall seeing a player fall down so much at the NHL. It's likely a combination of strength and nerves, but once he improves this side of his game he should be able to stick with the team. I'm looking forward to seeing the next wave of players like Robertson and Knies break through on this team.
You obviously don't remember the Fall Down King of All Time...David Clarkson. Man, that guy could trip over a rainbow.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hobey Baker winner Dryden McKay discusses suspension for banned substance - Sportsnet.ca

Eight days later, on Jan. 31, McKay got the notification, informing him of what is known as a “provisional suspension.” The next day, he hired Greene. Among previous clients is Canadian pole vaulter Shawn Barber, the 2015 World Champion. Barber initially was banned from the 2016 Olympics for a drug violation, but Greene’s advocacy led to a reversal.

The next 48 hours were complete chaos. McKay withdrew from the Olympics, shipped “my proteins, vitamins, everything” to a lab for analysis. Focus zoomed in on a bottle of Quercetin, a plant-based antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that some use as an immune-booster or recovery tool for COVID.

McKay was taking it exactly for that reason, as Omicron surged. He wanted to protect himself as much as possible during his final college season. But, if you’ve ever dealt in the world of supplements, you know how tricky it is. Ingredients aren’t always what they are marked to be.

It’s a minefield.

“I made the mistake of taking it,” he said. “But I could have never imagined that this would have been the result of taking something like that.”

“This has happened to hundreds of people I’ve represented,” Greene added. “Taking what seems like an innocent vitamin that turned out to be contaminated.”

What saved McKay in the short-term was that this particular company (which he and Greene would not name) agreed to send a sealed Quercetin bottle to the lab for analysis.

“Typically the only way to get the provisional suspension lifted is to show not just the open version is contaminated, but the sealed version of the same lot number, too,” Greene said. “There are instances over time where people have tried to manipulate the supplement and thrown a drug in there, which is absurd. You need the sealed version.”

Lab testing confirmed both the open and sealed bottle contained Ostarine.

“This vitamin was the positive source,” Greene said. “Honestly, every time I see something like this, that a vitamin that says it’s all-natural, an immune-booster, would somehow be contaminated with Ostarine — which is an illegal compound in the United States. It’s amazing how unregulated the supplement and vitamin industry is.”

It’s a critical reminder. If you’re an athlete taking them, know the risks and the responsibilities.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Not a major surprise but it sounds like Antti Suomela is moving to the SHL next year. He is 28 and his NA career is going nowhere.

He is about as solid but unspectacular as it comes. Sucks to lose him but it shouldn't be too hard to replace him either. Same applies to Blandisi and Michaelis. Either are welcome to come back for another year, but it wouldn't be impossible to find other AHL contract veterans like them.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
An interesting development brought up in Kloke's end of season prospect report. He said there was this belief if Niemela wasn't in the NHL, he rather go back to Liga than play in the AHL but Niemela denied that. He said he is open to playing with the Marlies. He says the one year extension with Karpat was more if he felt he wasn't ready for North American hockey. He might come over to the Marlies next year.

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
I'd be all over getting him here in Toronto. Not even considering the fact we've already signed Kokkonen and Rindell, Niemela solidified himself as a legit top-2 dman in Karpat towards the end of the season, just super reliable. I've watched almost every Karpat game this year (student life lmao), and I'd argue he's got not much left to prove there, what he could be developing in Finland could be done in the AHL 100%. I'd be leaning towards getting him acclimated to our city, smaller ice, more physicality, etc. Why not bring him over with the other new guys from Finland! Nevertheless an exciting prospect, and it's a positive sign he'd be ok with Marlies time!

Reactions: aingefan

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Hobey Baker winner Dryden McKay discusses suspension for banned substance - Sportsnet.ca

Eight days later, on Jan. 31, McKay got the notification, informing him of what is known as a “provisional suspension.” The next day, he hired Greene. Among previous clients is Canadian pole vaulter Shawn Barber, the 2015 World Champion. Barber initially was banned from the 2016 Olympics for a drug violation, but Greene’s advocacy led to a reversal.

The next 48 hours were complete chaos. McKay withdrew from the Olympics, shipped “my proteins, vitamins, everything” to a lab for analysis. Focus zoomed in on a bottle of Quercetin, a plant-based antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that some use as an immune-booster or recovery tool for COVID.

McKay was taking it exactly for that reason, as Omicron surged. He wanted to protect himself as much as possible during his final college season. But, if you’ve ever dealt in the world of supplements, you know how tricky it is. Ingredients aren’t always what they are marked to be.

It’s a minefield.

“I made the mistake of taking it,” he said. “But I could have never imagined that this would have been the result of taking something like that.”

“This has happened to hundreds of people I’ve represented,” Greene added. “Taking what seems like an innocent vitamin that turned out to be contaminated.”

What saved McKay in the short-term was that this particular company (which he and Greene would not name) agreed to send a sealed Quercetin bottle to the lab for analysis.

“Typically the only way to get the provisional suspension lifted is to show not just the open version is contaminated, but the sealed version of the same lot number, too,” Greene said. “There are instances over time where people have tried to manipulate the supplement and thrown a drug in there, which is absurd. You need the sealed version.”

Lab testing confirmed both the open and sealed bottle contained Ostarine.

“This vitamin was the positive source,” Greene said. “Honestly, every time I see something like this, that a vitamin that says it’s all-natural, an immune-booster, would somehow be contaminated with Ostarine — which is an illegal compound in the United States. It’s amazing how unregulated the supplement and vitamin industry is.”

It’s a critical reminder. If you’re an athlete taking them, know the risks and the responsibilities.
Lol I actually take Quercetin myself. Interesting..

Reactions: teddygmr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad