Springfield goalies are brutal.

who is 39? He must be 8 feet tall.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Springfield goalies are brutal.

who is 39? He must be 8 feet tall.
Douglas. I believe he was a Dallas draft pick. Still relatively young (same age as Sandin I believe). Decent skill for a man of that size.

Some believe he could be a 4C option for the Leafs at some point.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Douglas. I believe he was a Dallas draft pick. Still relatively young (same age as Sandin I believe). Decent skill for a man of that size.

Some believe he could be a 4C option for the Leafs at some point.
Please tell me he’s mean?

Reactions: aingefan

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

I always enjoy reading these prospect roundup's. They seem to pack the right amount of info every time. Both the good and the bad.

I am definitely guilty of writing Denis Malgin off already. I think I'll be paying a bit more attention to him from this point on. It is shocking to think how young he still is. He has a lot of skill and could easily be a Leaf once again.

I really hope we get to see a collection of Ho-Sang, Knies, Abruzzese, and Malgin at the Olympics. Maybe even Rubins depending on if the Leafs would allow it? or possibly Holmberg as well. It will make watching the Olympic hockey a little more interesting.

Reactions: uncleben

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I always enjoy reading these prospect roundup's. They seem to pack the right amount of info every time. Both the good and the bad.

I am definitely guilty of writing Denis Malgin off already. I think I'll be paying a bit more attention to him from this point on. It is shocking to think how young he still is. He has a lot of skill and could easily be a Leaf once again.

I really hope we get to see a collection of Ho-Sang, Knies, Abruzzese, and Malgin at the Olympics. Maybe even Rubins depending on if the Leafs would allow it? or possibly Holmberg as well. It will make watching the Olympic hockey a little more interesting.
Malgin could come back over and have the same type of output that Kubalik and Pius Suter have had coming from the same league.

Similar stats in the Swiss league at similar ages.

Reactions: aingefan

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Exactly, my whole point is if there is a player with term that can be a game changer for us I'd be willing to move almost any prospect outside of Knies. Even if they were expiring I'd consider it, if we could make it work. For example a guy like Tomas Hertl is a pending UFA but adding a guy of his calibre would greatly increase our cup aspirations. Can play the wing or center and is a huge upgrade over many of our wingers on the left side. I just think at the end of the day I'm not convinced we are going to graduate all of our guys, the reality is some of them are going to bust. (Hopefully none do, but even then we just won't have the space for them and it's unrealistic to think we won't ever sign another UFA). Nothing in life comes without risk, if we can get a deep cup run I'd be okay with Dubas moving any asset. That being said I do think Dubas will make a move at the deadline, I'm thinking it's a Tyler Toffoli, Mark Giordano or Jakub Chychrun move. I do think he will reward the guys with a key pick up.

I just dont think depth moves are enough to put us over the hump. It's what we have been doing and it hasn't worked.
I'm with you on this but only if it isn't rental. As I said before, this team has yet to make it past the first round and I don't want the team to trade anymore picks or prospects away just for a rental. If they can somehow get Hertl and keep him then I'd be good with that.

The bright side is that to me, I see Nylander and Matthews playing with a ton more of urgency this year and playing like they want it and given how as a whole, the team is playing much better defense. This could be the year they make it to round 2.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Malgin could come back over and have the same type of output that Kubalik and Pius Suter have had coming from the same league.

Similar stats in the Swiss league at similar ages.
Funny, I was checking his numbers just this morning and meant to post that he’s >ppg. But the site was glitchy on my phone.
I still like him, would love him and Joey A to get legit looks next year, but I’m not entirely sure they will.
Steeves is in that mix too.
Maybe a team likes him in a prospect swap, for a pick or for a rental, but I think he’d be perfectly useful in a 3rd line role.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Don’t know if anyone follows the AJHL but there’s a defenceman who broke Cale makars points record. Hope he’s available to us.

Nothing like a team which averages over 6 goals per game with four guys going around or over 2 PPG while giving up less than 2 GPG (their goalie must really suck, because he only has a .905 right now). They have only lost 3 games out of 40, and one of them was in OT.

I have not seen a team dominate like that in a long time. He also broke Makar's record in 14 fewer games, but keep in mind that this guy is also 1.5 years older than Makar in a very weak league... And that Makar was absolutely dominant for more than just one year in that league.

IDK maybe some team throws out a later round pick on him, but I doubt we will need to worry about getting him if we really want him. He is smaller, he is only going to Merrimack (not exactly a top end hockey school), and is a D+2 in a weaker league.

If we are looking at the AJHL, look at Rieger Lorentz and Bowden Singleton. Near the top of the league offensively, along with those Brooks guys, without any real support on Okotoks and they are also 2-3 years younger than those Brooks guys as well. Singleton is more likely going to be a 4-6 rounder, but Lorentz looks like he won't be making it outside of the 2nd round, if he is not taken in the late 1st/early 2nd.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

Zookeeper

Sep 15, 2021
If there’s no one better I’d throw our 7th rd at him, he can’t be worse than menell

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
His style kind of reminds me of Matthews tbh. He looks unbelievable in college already. Can’t wait to see him in the Olympics!
I hesitated to say this only because that is such an unfair comparison. But there are some eerily similar attributes to his game. The way he uses his body in the corners to shield the puck and win puck battles is the thing that jumps out at me the most. He also has unbelievable hands and has way more deception then the guy on the video give him credit for. The way he drives wide is also strikingly similar. He seems to lower his frame and lean into the pressure all while using his long arms to keep the puck away from the defender in the exact way Auston does it.

He has a lot of things to look forward to that's for sure. I generally speaking have a biased opinion on Leafs prospects, but I think he has more game breaking potential than the video suggests. I suspect I am the one that will be proven wrong on that, but he really just looks unstoppable at the NCAA level. As a freshmen that is truly outstanding.

Lots to like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad