Your starting to see alot more big prospects
Can skate and have skill 6'2
" + forwards and Defenceman
This year defencemen in our range

Elick
Emery
Skahan
Brunicke

I don't mind drafting smaller players but they need to skate like the wind and have a high compete level.
On our team They need to be really good defensivltnbecause they will be playing on the 3rd or 4th lines.

Dewar is a good example

Just thinking in general terms, but small also needs somewhere to go.

For example, you draft a small Russian forward who could be anything from Kirill Kaprizov to Alexander Barabanov but you have Nylander and Marner ahead of him.

If you didn’t have those star players already you could plausibly fit this guy into a top 6 and give him the reps to breakout.

If you have a depth chart that makes promotion difficult he won’t necessarily be helpful on the lower lines. So you don’t get a good read, player loses value and you may lose a good asset.

Nick Robertson is basically this example. Luckily for us he seems to be making some progress as an NHLer and slow rolling him into a job means he might be a contributor in the future.

But imagine you had a Robertson below him. And another Robertson below that guy. Then very quickly you’re very overstocked on one player type trying to break into the same role. The depth chart may seem healthy but the log jam also presents a problem.

Reactions: arso40 and horner

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I feel like that was an aspect of Kyle's tenure that I can say he didn't do very well. His defensive signings from college and Europe profiled far too closely to areas of organizational strength. Guys like Mikko Lehtonon, Joey Duszak, Teemu Kivihalme, Matt Helickson...etc were never going to make it with our big club no matter how good they performed at the minor league level. They didn't fill the role we require.

By no means do I think guys Jacob Bengtsson, Nick Mattenen or Cade Weber are shoo in's for NHL time, but they at least profile out to be players that could fill roles.

You look at Kristens Rubins as a prime example of a player who was able to fill a void, albeit very temporarily before a guy like Joey Duszak ever got a sniff, despite having substantially worse numbers in the A.

Who knows what will come from Jacob and the other signees. Most likely they will be career minor leaguers. But at the very least we are trying to stock pile the prospective defensmen in our organization that profile out to be the very defensemen we always seem to pay 2nd rounders for each deadline.

And before anyone states it, I am aware of the difference between AHL and 2 way deals. We do not own these AHL signed players. But having them in our system will always give us the upper hand on signing them should they earn a 2 way deal

I think theres two ways to scout defensive ability.

Theres the way of looking at it thru a offensive lens, in which the logic is that the best defence is a good offence and if you have the puck you can't get scored on. This leads to ending up with many good skaters, good puck movers and overall superior skilled defencemen.

The other is scouting it based on technical defensive abilities, things like ability to clear front of the net, strong along the boards, block shots, be very physical, make lots of low risk plays, PK ability. This leads to ending up with more of the bigger, stronger defencemen who aren't as skilled as the first group but are better at defending when they dont have the puck.

The optimal end-goal is to have strong balance 1-6 but I think it's fair to say the previous regime leaned more heavily towards the first group which in some instances can be best.

horner

May 22, 2007
Just thinking in general terms, but small also needs somewhere to go.

For example, you draft a small Russian forward who could be anything from Kirill Kaprizov to Alexander Barabanov but you have Nylander and Marner ahead of him.

If you didn’t have those star players already you could plausibly fit this guy into a top 6 and give him the reps to breakout.

If you have a depth chart that makes promotion difficult he won’t necessarily be helpful on the lower lines. So you don’t get a good read, player loses value and you may lose a good asset.

Nick Robertson is basically this example. Luckily for us he seems to be making some progress as an NHLer and slow rolling him into a job means he might be a contributor in the future.

But imagine you had a Robertson below him. And another Robertson below that guy. Then very quickly you’re very overstocked on one player type trying to break into the same role. The depth chart may seem healthy but the log jam also presents a problem.
You need a mix of forwards
I really like how treliving has brought players for certain roles on the team .
He new we would need a different skill set in the playoffs so on the offseason that is what he looked for .
At the deadline not much was done but
Dewar eas a great pickup because he knew we would need some jam on the 4 th line and a poker.ne to fix.
Edmonson Stanley Cup experience and toughness
Something that are previous gm would wait till the deadli

Pinkcat

Jul 4, 2013
You need a mix of forwards
I really like how treliving has brought players for certain roles on the team .
He new we would need a different skill set in the playoffs so on the offseason that is what he looked for .
At the deadline not much was done but
Dewar eas a great pickup because he knew we would need some jam on the 4 th line and a poker.ne to fix.
Edmonson Stanley Cup experience and toughness
Something that are previous gm would wait till the deadli
What I also appreciate about the new approach is that most of the changes were made in the summer allowing more time for the new players to adjust. We certainly saw that this season where the additions took time to get their footing. Wholesale changes at the trade deadline doesn't seem like the best way to construct your team.

Reactions: arso40

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
What I also appreciate about the new approach is that most of the changes were made in the summer allowing more time for the new players to adjust. We certainly saw that this season where the additions took time to get their footing. Wholesale changes at the trade deadline doesn't seem like the best way to construct your team.
And although it is obvious, signing guys in the off season doesn't cost draft capital.

Reactions: horner and Pinkcat

horner

May 22, 2007
I agree

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1713987796030.png

This lines up with the drop in production.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
So a KHL champ in Greb, though his role diminished over the series, and a VHL champ in AA. Good on both of ‘em.

Wasn’t Slepets on Greb’s team? Congrats to him too, if so.

The CHL guys are going deep, and Marlies are starting their run. Good experiences.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
So a KHL champ in Greb, though his role diminished over the series, and a VHL champ in AA. Good on both of ‘em.

Wasn’t Slepets on Greb’s team? Congrats to him too, if so.

The CHL guys are going deep, and Marlies are starting their run. Good experiences.
Slepets played with Grebenkin last year when he was loaned out to Khabarovsk Amur. They haven't play together since.

Slepets seems like a nothing prospect, will probably be join Kara, Bobylev and Chebykin, as guys to never come over.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Slepets played with Grebenkin last year when he was loaned out to Khabarovsk Amur. They haven't play together since.

Slepets seems like a nothing prospect, will probably be join Kara, Bobylev and Chebykin, as guys to never come over.
Ahhhhh, that musta been it.
And yeah, not much of a prospect, I get it….just wouldn’t want to exclude a Leaf property from acknowledgement (;

Reactions: Mitch nylander

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
They are reporting that Greb himself told Shevchenko. No idea who they are and I'm a little skeptical of the source so take it with some form of grain of salt, but seems to have enough legs.

I assume he would join the Leafs like Webber, mostly as a practice/soak experience.
He reports that Grebyonkin could barely walk, then he says he's coming to Toronto. Doesn't seem reliable at all.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
They are reporting that Greb himself told Shevchenko. No idea who they are and I'm a little skeptical of the source so take it with some form of grain of salt, but seems to have enough legs.

I assume he would join the Leafs like Webber, mostly as a practice/soak experience.

Yeah with the first report they put out saying his injury made it so he couldn't really walk and now this it doesn't really add up. Unless of course he's just gonna come and maybe get medical help and just be around the team to get comfortable around everyone for next season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I'm thinking ELC would be for next year, his injury seems to be extensive, I could see him visiting to meet future teammates and see the city but I don't think playing is on the table.

Reactions: aingefan

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Shevchenko reported that Grebyonkin will continue his career in North America. Everything beyond that was speculation.
He only said it was possible he could play for the Leafs soon. Nothing more than that.

Regarding injury, I'm not seeing anything about that. It would explain his lackluster play as of late. I wouldnt doubt it.
That said, he was definitely walking fine. There's video of him arriving at Lokomotiv's arena. He wasn't limping or anything.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
So Grebyonkin confirmed to MatchTV he will continue is career in Toronto. When exactly, he's not gonna say while still under KHL contract. (All expiring contracts end the 30th).

-Said he's been in regular contact with the Leafs. They give him advice.

-Said the playoffs were difficult b/c he was playing with some injuries that affected his game. Said it was tough taking on a different role.
Nonetheless it doesn't sound like his leg was falling off or anything. He could probably still play this year (playoffs??) with a little rest.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

I haven't watched the Marlies as much this year, is Kokkonen being on the top pair an indication of his being one of their top 2 defensemen or just based on pair-chemistry? Conversely, should we read Niemala's being on the third pair as an indictment of his defense, since it can't be due to a lack of skill?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I haven't watched the Marlies as much this year, is Kokkonen being on the top pair an indication of his being one of their top 2 defensemen or just based on pair-chemistry? Conversely, should we read Niemala's being on the third pair as an indictment of his defense, since it can't be due to a lack of skill?

Niemela played a lot of top pairing minutes for the Marlies through the year. I think this is just distributing their talent through different pairs, and he's played with Pietro a ton lately so it might be a nice chemistry thing. Lajoie is a top end AHLer and Kokkonen is a good defensive first guy. Niemela gets top PP minutes I believe.

Kokkonen has been solid all season. Rifai as well.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
1-1 Marlies Belleville after 1, Rifai with the Marlies goal.

EDIT: Make that 2-1 for Belleville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad