Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Wheeler released our prospect rankings. He doesn't have Sandin on the list. Will post the comments in my own words that stand out which Wheeler made.

Robertson- 1st line prospect with star upside

Liljegren- big offensive gains after working hard defensively the last couple years.

Bracco- good player but caught in a numbers game

Abramov- fantastic on a weak team. Taking control of a game himself with the willingness to shoot more

SDA- dominant season but lots of question marks

Abbruzzee- standout that he might not need 4 years in college

Woll- numbers are off but the process is great

Kokkonen- struggled due to things out of his control, but improved since returning from the world juniors.

Hollowell- different player at each level. He is too passive in the AHL. He needs to be pushing the pace to be effective.

Duszak- Leafs haven-t handled him well. He's too good for ECHL.

Kral- great at times and just there other times. Upside is of a 4-6 defenceman

Koster- been really good since a slow start. Needs work defensively.

Scott-

Lindgren- had a solid 1st season with the Marlies. Has done a lot of things well. He would do fine as an injury call up to the Leafs.

Kara- great in VHL, and showing flashes in the KHL. Good defensive player. Could be a 4th liner in the NHL.

Luchuk

Rasanen- there is still something there. Marlies need to get him to their program quickly.

Looponen- not flashy but always makes the right play in the OHL. He's been impressive.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Wheeler released our prospect rankings. He doesn't have Sandin on the list. Will post the comments in my own words that stand out which Wheeler made.

Robertson- 1st line prospect with star upside

Liljegren- big offensive gains after working hard defensively the last couple years.

Bracco- good player but caught in a numbers game

Abramov- fantastic on a weak team. Taking control of a game himself with the willingness to shoot more

SDA- dominant season but lots of question marks

Abbruzzee- standout that he might not need 4 years in college

Woll- numbers are off but the process is great

Kokkonen- struggled due to things out of his control, but improved since returning from the world juniors.

Hollowell- different player at each level. He is too passive in the AHL. He needs to be pushing the pace to be effective.

Duszak- Leafs haven-t handled him well. He's too good for ECHL.

Kral- great at times and just there other times. Upside is of a 4-6 defenceman

Koster- been really good since a slow start. Needs work defensively.

Scott-

Lindgren- had a solid 1st season with the Marlies. Has done a lot of things well. He would do fine as an injury call up to the Leafs.

Kara- great in VHL, and showing flashes in the KHL. Good defensive player. Could be a 4th liner in the NHL.

Luchuk

Rasanen- there is still something there. Marlies need to get him to their program quickly.

Looponen- not flashy but always has makes the right play in the OHL. He's been impressive.

A few things I would add.

Lindgren needs to play more. He's kind of like Dermott was in the NHL where he was playing very well in limited minutes, and now needs to be given more opportunities to continue his growth.

Duszak is a tweener right now. He is probably too good for the ECHL, but he has sucked in the AHL and hasn't earned more opportunities. Same with Hollowell, except he hasn't dominated the ECHL like Duszak has. Maybe if Liljegren earns an extended look, we will just be patient with those two and get them playing as much as possible, but they have been large contributors to the Marlies' struggles recently.

Abruzzese was likely never going to last 4 years. He'd be 24 by the end of his senior year, so unless he absolutely needed the time, he was never going to last that long. He may be here after his Junior year unless he dominates in his sophomore year.

Hard to judge Koster's defensive ability given his team is brutal and he is playing the 2nd most minutes, but defense is something that will likely take him the full 4 years (or at least 3) at Minnesota to improve.

Rasanen just needs out of the KHL. Doesn't need to be the Marlies, but get him somewhere like the Liiga where he can play full time but it is still a competitive league.

Loponen needs to step up his ES ability if he expects an ELC. It's not bad, but not good enough.

Jack Flask

Jan 21, 2020
A few things I would add.

Lindgren needs to play more. He's kind of like Dermott was in the NHL where he was playing very well in limited minutes, and now needs to be given more opportunities to continue his growth.

Duszak is a tweener right now. He is probably too good for the ECHL, but he has sucked in the AHL and hasn't earned more opportunities. Same with Hollowell, except he hasn't dominated the ECHL like Duszak has. Maybe if Liljegren earns an extended look, we will just be patient with those two and get them playing as much as possible, but they have been large contributors to the Marlies' struggles recently.

Abruzzese was likely never going to last 4 years. He'd be 24 by the end of his senior year, so unless he absolutely needed the time, he was never going to last that long. He may be here after his Junior year unless he dominates in his sophomore year.

Hard to judge Koster's defensive ability given his team is brutal and he is playing the 2nd most minutes, but defense is something that will likely take him the full 4 years (or at least 3) at Minnesota to improve.

Rasanen just needs out of the KHL. Doesn't need to be the Marlies, but get him somewhere like the Liiga where he can play full time but it is still a competitive league.

Loponen needs to step up his ES ability if he expects an ELC. It's not bad, but not good enough.
Havent seen much of the Marlies this season. Is there any depth on this team? As in , any players that actually play with heart and grit or mostly fast skilled guys? Wondering whats in the pipe for the Leafs.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Havent seen much of the Marlies this season. Is there any depth on this team? As in , any players that actually play with heart and grit or mostly fast skilled guys? Wondering whats in the pipe for the Leafs.

Too much heart and grit, not enough skill. It's why they are losing.

Reactions: stickty111

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
As of right now our lines are something like:

Marchment-Brooks-Bracco
Agostino-Petan-Aberg
Wilson-Kossila-Korshkov
MacMaster-Gaudet-Archibald
Read/Clune/Baptiste/Elynuik/Pooley

Kivihalme-Liljegren
Harpur-Schmaltz
Rubins-Lindgren
Hollowell/Duszak/Gravel (LTIR)

Kaskisuo-Woll

I have no issues with the top 9, the top 6 defenders, or even guys like MacMaster, Baptiste, Clune, Pooley and even Elynuik (since he's not Read/Gaudet/Archibald level bad and just turned 22) as 4th line/depth guys. The issues arise when we have to rotate Read, Gaudet, Archibald, Hollowell, Duszak and Woll in, and what happens when Bracco is potentially dealt or guys like Liljegren, Marchment and Brooks are called up again?

Until things get a little bit clearer about who will be here and who will not, I think the only move the Marlies can do right now is audition some of the Growlers centers (Luchuk, Bradley, Conrad, and Elynuik) to be 4th line centers and hopefully effective PKers. Improving the PK should be priority number 1, and hopefully the guys who can do that can also improve our bottom 6 at ES. If one of them can impress, that could make Gaudet expendable, and if Gravel/Sandin are back, we could look at moving Harpur to get a top 9 forward who can also help out our PK and defensive ability high up in the lineup. If we could get a top 9 PKing center who can move Petan to the wing and Wilson down to the 4th line in place of Archibald, we could be in a really good spot even if we do end up moving Bracco at the TDL.

I think Moore is still with the Marlies, no? And now Muzzin as well. So best roster right now might be:

Moore-Brooks-Aberg
Agostino-Petan-Bracco
Marchment-Kossila-Korshkov
Wilson-MacMaster-Archibald
Gaudet

Kivihalme-Liljegren
Muzzin-Schmaltz
Rubins-Lindgren

Kaskisuo

Reactions: Magic Man

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think Moore is still with the Marlies, no? And now Muzzin as well. So best roster right now might be:

Moore-Brooks-Aberg
Agostino-Petan-Bracco
Gaudet

Kivihalme-Liljegren
Muzzin-Schmaltz
Rubins-Lindgren

Kaskisuo

They won't be there for very long, so I won't count them. I am talking about long term.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Moore-Brooks-Aberg
Agostino-Petan-Bracco
Gaudet

Kivihalme-Liljegren
Muzzin-Schmaltz
Rubins-Lindgren

Kaskisuo
I would play Muzzin with Liljegren. If it clicks that would be awesome.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Just FYI, I don't think anybody in recent years have put up the GPG pace that Robertson is doing right now. It seemed like a good pick at the time, but right now I'd say that Robertson has the potential of a core goalscoring winger. This might end up being as good of a pick as Sandin.

Had he played every game, he would be on pace for 75 goals. That would be 5th all time and the most since 1985/86.

In terms of goals per game he is 12th all time and the highest since 92/93.

The only active players in the top 20 are Tavares and Kane. Only 6 players in the top 20 did it in their age 18 season or younger (Tavares/Kane/Lindros/Tanti×2/Cimetta).

So no, he's been ridiculous and nobody has scored like this in the OHL in a long time.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Just FYI, I don't think anybody in recent years have put up the GPG pace that Robertson is doing right now. It seemed like a good pick at the time, but right now I'd say that Robertson has the potential of a core goalscoring winger. This might end up being as good of a pick as Sandin.

Alex Debrincat is the most recent D+1 example, but he was a late baby and nearly 8 months older than Robertson.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Debrincat had 65 in 63. Mostly as a 20 year old though, while Robertson doesn't even turn 19 until September.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
And to think that rocket launcher is gonna get stronger!Not too many guys are gonna want to get in front of that.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Hyman-Matthews-marner
Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Johnsson-Frthlncnter-Moore

hmmm?

He's a left winger?
Trade Kapanen

Hyman-Matthews-marner
Envall-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Johnsson-Frthlncnter-Moore
That 3rd line will be dominant, but would switch Mikheyev and Engvall.
Mik showed better with JT and Nylander and deserves a long look on that line.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
No problem, both Engvall and Mikheyev are identified as LW/RW players.

My thought process was that Engvall brings a bit more D to the position, and Mikheyev more O.
That's fair.
My thought is that on the 3rd line Engvall has more offensive presence in addition to his defensive side, whereas Mikheyev adds offense to the 2nd line without a significant from to the defensive side since JT as the centre is very responsible defensively.
Truth be told it's a good problem to have.

Reactions: ULF_55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad