Marleau becomes the 60th player to hit 1100 career points

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Alright, got it.

Tell Andrew Cogliano to prepare his Hall of Fame speech
....except Cogliano with his PPG, if he plays as many games as Marleau he's on pace for ~640 points where as Marleau has 1100. Kind of a brutal comparison.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I don’t think being a compiler is a negative description. It’s just a description. It speaks of a long, consistent career. That’s not a bad thing. It’s just that in the context of the Hall of Fame being a good player for a long time is not necessarily enough.

The bad part isn’t that he is a compiler. The bad part is that’s the strongest argument you can really make about a HHOF induction. He’s a compiler and...? That’s the negative part. There is nothing after the and.

Well by the end of his career he will most likely have hit certain milestones that are indicative of other Hall of Famers. I've stated before about this, I'm not a big fan one way or the other of him getting in but it certainly would not surprise me. He's played the majority of his career for one of the California expansion teams which I think will benefit his case for the Hall. His playoff games played and totals are quite good as well. I think there are worse candidates in the Hall than Marleau so it wouldn't really bother me that much.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Since this has turned into a HOF argument thread, I'll toss it out there that despite being an Isles fan I don't think Clark Gillies is worthy of the Hall of Fame.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
The bolded part is the problem. For the HOF - you should never look at the stats alone. While health and longevity are both good traits, those shouldn't be the main reason you make the HOF. IMO, a player should make the HOF by their impact on the game as a whole, which can be measure by how good a player was at their peak. I'd 10x rather have in the HOF a Cam Neely or Pavel Bure who dominated the league when they were healthy rather than a a solid player who happen had a long career, or who was blessed by playing for a dominant organization (Chris Osgood) but was never a top 10-20 player in the league.

Again it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other if he gets in. That being said Marleau wasn't a passenger on some top end teams. He was an active participant in some of those teams being dominant. I also don't believe that having a long career is easy or a detriment to Marleau. It's not like we are talking about Stajan here or as someone mentioned above Cogliano. He produced above average for a longer period of time than most and at some point that has to be looked at as a positive.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
If Glenn Anderson is in then why not Marleau? If he can get the most games ever record then of course he should be in. It is not like he is allowed to stay out of pity in the legaue. He contributes at a high level and has been very consistent over pretty much 20 years.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
If Glenn Anderson is in then why not Marleau? If he can get the most games ever record then of course he should be in. It is not like he is allowed to stay out of pity in the legaue. He contributes at a high level and has been very consistent over pretty much 20 years.
Glenn Anderson was a part of an Oilers Dynasty. He was a playoff warrior while having much better stats than Marleau.

He isn't the greatest induction, but far from the worst. Marleau has nothing going for him but his longevity, and if he continues to play, he will be branded a compiler.

In the end the comparison is horrible.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Glenn Anderson was a part of an Oilers Dynasty. He was a playoff warrior while having much better stats than Marleau.

He isn't the greatest induction, but far from the worst. Marleau has nothing going for him but his longevity, and if he continues to play, he will be branded a compiler.

In the end the comparison is horrible.
But Marleau in his "prime" was always top 3 in scoring in his own team, a few times #1. A pretty good team on top of that. That can't be said for Anderson who most often would be around 5th place in the Oilers. I know Oilers was stacked with talent but that also affected his numbers in a good way.

Plus Marleau is not done yet. Juding by his season he should be able to have at least two more seasons and a good chance to go for a cup. Point is he will pass Nieuwendyk, Federko, Anderson and similar guys in points/goals/games and then it would be hard to exclude him if they are in.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It should, it's becoming ridiculous who can make the hall of fame.

Dave ****ing Andreychuk? Are you ****ing kidding me?

I'm with you. I can't believe Kariya got in and I am on the fence about Recchi, but 3 Cups and decent playoff numbers can't be denied I guess.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
....except Cogliano with his PPG, if he plays as many games as Marleau he's on pace for ~640 points where as Marleau has 1100. Kind of a brutal comparison.

And neither of their PPGs should get them anywhere close to the HOF

My example of Cogliano was probably a little extreme, but my point remains- Dave Andreychuk is not worthy of the Hall of Fame (a Hall of Fame already brought down by it's past terrible inductions) Dave Andreychuk now sets a new and recent precedent for people that we let into the Hall of Fame.

Y'all should look at Baseball's Hall of Fame, they don't let in multi time MVPs

Safarite

Jan 19, 2016
And neither of their PPGs should get them anywhere close to the HOF

My example of Cogliano was probably a little extreme, but my point remains- Dave Andreychuk is not worthy of the Hall of Fame (a Hall of Fame already brought down by it's past terrible inductions) Dave Andreychuk now sets a new and recent precedent for people that we let into the Hall of Fame.

Y'all should look at Baseball's Hall of Fame, they don't let in multi time MVPs

While I definitely agree that the HHOF is too lenient with who they let in, I think you're being a little too harsh. I mean, over the last 5 years baseball has inducted 17 players to hockey's 22 (NHL players). It's not that much of a difference. Also, inductions like Andreychuk's are more exceptions than they are the rule IMO. Doesn't make it okay, but it's not like it happens all too often.

They real problem the HHOF has is that they pretty much have a quota of how many players they let in every year, regardless of if there are enough worthy candidates or not.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
But Marleau in his "prime" was always top 3 in scoring in his own team, a few times #1. A pretty good team on top of that. That can't be said for Anderson who most often would be around 5th place in the Oilers. I know Oilers was stacked with talent but that also affected his numbers in a good way.

Plus Marleau is not done yet. Juding by his season he should be able to have at least two more seasons and a good chance to go for a cup. Point is he will pass Nieuwendyk, Federko, Anderson and similar guys in points/goals/games and then it would be hard to exclude him if they are in.
Hats hardly something to note when taking into consideration how he stood out league wide. Was he one of the best Sharks of all time? Yes, but that doesn't make up for the serious lack of stat wise.

My point is Anderson still had a ton of playoff success and consistently elevated his play in the post season, that's the main reason why he is in the Hall. Lucky? Sure, but he still managed to stick out. His regular season stats are great as well.

Marleau does have the juice to continue to play, but it won't be anything worth noting. His play will deteriorate like it has been and it will be mainly "compiling" on his part.

His regular season isn't strong enough to where a Cup would increase his chances of the HOF. He is almost the definition of "hall of very good." Would it look nice on his resume? Sure, but who knows it f it would actually be beneficial.

I'm not one to further the trend of continuing to induct weak/unworthy players just because the Hall made mistakes inducting others in the past. Marleau has NOTHING going for him at the moment but longevity, and even that isn't anything elite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad