Marleau becomes the 60th player to hit 1100 career points

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
With a goal against Philadelphia 2 days ago Marleau became only the 60th player to hit 1100 career Points. It's crazy that nobody has made a mainboard thread about this yet. Really shows how everybody has turned their back on Marleau and how few fans he has. Sharks fans no longer care about Marleau since they've got Thornton and we leafs fans don't really see Marleau as one of our own since he just signed a retirement contract with us. Plus we got Matthews now too. And Canadians don't care since they have so many other great players to follow so they don't care if another one of them hit 1100 Points since they've got about 55 of them from before. So that's basically how Marleau has become the highest scoring jobber of all time. I'm no fan of Marleau either but it will be kind of funny when he'll be inducted into the hall of fame and i can tell everybody on HF boards who doubted me "I told you so!"

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
The NHL hall of fame has become such a joke that I wouldn't even be surprised if Marleau makes it at this point.

In baseball you have multi time MVPs and double digit all stars making the Hall of Fame, in hockey you just need to compile stats by playing a long time.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I'm glad someone made a post about Marleau's 1100 but I disagree about why people don't care about him.

In the numerous Marleau to the Hall threads Marleau is often referred to as a "compiler" which is used as a negative description around here.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
I'm glad someone made a post about Marleau's 1100 but I disagree about why people don't care about him.

In the numerous Marleau to the Hall threads Marleau is often referred to as a "compiler" which is used as a negative description around here.

It should, it's becoming ridiculous who can make the hall of fame.

Dave f***ing Andreychuk? Are you f***ing kidding me?

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

Dave ****ing Andreychuk? Are you ****ing kidding me?

I suppose. I've said that at some point a player that has been in the league for a long time and continues to produce has to be viewed as a positive for that player.

It's not like there are tons of players that play beyond they're 35 and continue to produce.

Is it hall worthy? I don't know. I don't vote for it. There are some players in the Hall I don't believe belong. That being said if you are just looking at stats alone compilers have just as much right to be there.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
The NHL hall of fame has become such a joke that I wouldn't even be surprised if Marleau makes it at this point.

In baseball you have multi time MVPs and double digit all stars making the Hall of Fame, in hockey you just need to compile stats by playing a long time.

Fully Agree. So many guys who shouldn't be in by a mile.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
whats there to discuss about a guy who hit 1100 points? congrats, wow what a legend? yah we don't need an entire thread about that.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
With a goal against Philadelphia 2 days ago Marleau became only the 60th player to hit 1100 career Points. It's crazy that nobody has made a mainboard thread about this yet. Really shows how everybody has turned their back on Marleau and how few fans he has. Sharks fans no longer care about Marleau since they've got Thornton and we leafs fans don't really see Marleau as one of our own since he just signed a retirement contract with us. Plus we got Matthews now too. And Canadians don't care since they have so many other great players to follow so they don't care if another one of them hit 1100 Points since they've got about 55 of them from before. So that's basically how Marleau has become the highest scoring jobber of all time. I'm no fan of Marleau either but it will be kind of funny when he'll be inducted into the hall of fame and i can tell everybody on HF boards who doubted me "I told you so!"
Well they probably know you will, you rarely miss a Marleau milestone. But an impressive player with great longevity. Probably the only non physical non Art (or any other trophy) player I'd ever support in a HOF ballot. Not sure why really, just seems like a passionated player. Never injured and racking up points under most circumstances.

I hope he breaks Gordie's all time game record.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

I don’t think being a compiler is a negative description. It’s just a description. It speaks of a long, consistent career. That’s not a bad thing. It’s just that in the context of the Hall of Fame being a good player for a long time is not necessarily enough.

The bad part isn’t that he is a compiler. The bad part is that’s the strongest argument you can really make about a HHOF induction. He’s a compiler and...? That’s the negative part. There is nothing after the and.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

Dave ****ing Andreychuk? Are you ****ing kidding me?

Like I said, if you haven't got all of: 500 goals, a major award, at least five top ten scoring finishes, you should be out. Get rid of Andreychuk, Lanny MacDonald, Nieuwendyk, Dick Moore, Federko, Cicciarelli, Gartner, Sundin

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I suppose. I've said that at some point a player that has been in the league for a long time and continues to produce has to be viewed as a positive for that player.

It's not like there are tons of players that play beyond they're 35 and continue to produce.

Is it hall worthy? I don't know. I don't vote for it. There are some players in the Hall I don't believe belong. That being said if you are just looking at stats alone compilers have just as much right to be there.

The bolded part is the problem. For the HOF - you should never look at the stats alone. While health and longevity are both good traits, those shouldn't be the main reason you make the HOF. IMO, a player should make the HOF by their impact on the game as a whole, which can be measure by how good a player was at their peak. I'd 10x rather have in the HOF a Cam Neely or Pavel Bure who dominated the league when they were healthy rather than a a solid player who happen had a long career, or who was blessed by playing for a dominant organization (Chris Osgood) but was never a top 10-20 player in the league.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Andreychuk is all time leader in power play goals

Which he complied for... did you miss the whole reason why we don't want him in the hall of fame?

As for his real accomplishments, there aren't many besides being a staggering 2 time all star.

And maybe that one time he finished 10th in scoring?

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada

If playing for a long time was easy and normal than every player would be doing it.

Being able to subject your body over long periods of time is noteworthy and impressive.

I'd be happy to see him make the Hall of Fame.

Reactions: Kelly

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Like I said, if you haven't got all of: 500 goals, a major award, at least five top ten scoring finishes, you should be out. Get rid of Andreychuk, Lanny MacDonald, Nieuwendyk, Dick Moore, Federko, Cicciarelli, Gartner, Sundin

Players like cicciarelli, Lanny and sundin are some of the most iconic players from the sport and I feel there would be more uproar if they had've been left out. In fact, andreychuk is the only one there I have an issue with. He just wasn't a special player. He posted consistent numbers through a long career, but he wasn't as special as the others.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
If playing for a long time was easy and normal than every player would be doing it.

Being able to subject your body over long periods of time is noteworthy and impressive.

Alright, got it.

Tell Andrew Cogliano to prepare his Hall of Fame speech

ijuka

May 14, 2016

To me, being an amazing player should ALWAYS be far more important than just being a pretty good player with a long career.

The focus on total points rather than actual comparative achievements is so odd, especially when points between eras are barely comparable. "Was the 2nd best goal scorer for a 10 year period" is much more impressive than some blanket "scored 1000 points because he played 5 million games".

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

Dickie Moore won back-to-back Art Ross trophies, led the playoffs in scoring twice, and retired 11th all-time in scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad