Speculation: Marleau and leafs parting ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I mean that would be the best solution for Leafs, but why is Marleau giving up on his last chance at the Cup exactly?

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I doubt it. Lou got us good with that shitty contract.

If we get rid of him...Christmas came way too early.

All I am praying for is that dolt Babcock doesn't overplay him again. He's not much better than Frederick Gauthier but gets ice time as if he's in his prime.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not a legitimate source, but the claim does seem reasonable. I think Marleau approving a trade to San Jose and the Leafs retaining half of his salary is the most likely outcome that involves Marleau not being on Toronto to open next year. I still think it's way more likely that he's back next year, though.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Who is this source? Are they credible?

Those leadership keys are firmly in Tavares’ hands btw

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Not a legitimate source, but the claim does seem reasonable. I think Marleau approving a trade to San Jose and the Leafs retaining half of his salary is the most likely outcome that involves Marleau not being on Toronto to open next year. I still think it's way more likely that he's back next year, though.

I find it hard to believe San Jose wants anything to do with a player who father time has caught up with .

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I can't see San Jose wanting to waste even the $3 million cap space if he is 50% retained. The Sharks aren't in a position to carry that much dead cap space.

The Leafs made their bed by giving out terrible contacts. They're going to have to sleep in this one next year for sure.

Reactions: Chainshot

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Completely agreed. Though a dollar for dollar swap of Marleau <-> Braun could make some sense

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
The Leafs wouldn't be "moving on" from Marleau. It's the other way around. No one will take that contract, and if they will, Marleau will have a choice of where he goes. Leafs have no flexibility in this, Patty holds all the cards.

Reactions: jaeger

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I'd love to take Marleau back and have him retire (eventually) where he belongs but the Sharks just have too many priorities over him that I just don't see it happening unless Karlsson walks.

Last edited:

thegoalie39

Nov 28, 2018
Nobody is taking a 40 year old Marleau...maybe if Leafs take back 50% of contract even then probably no takers....he is a 35+ player so you cannot send him to the minors and cannot buy him out.....so he will be the leafs 12th forward or 13th forward sitting in the press box.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I can't see San Jose wanting to waste even the $3 million cap space if he is 50% retained. The Sharks aren't in a position to carry that much dead cap space.

The Leafs made their bed by giving out terrible contacts. They're going to have to sleep in this one next year for sure.
I've never seen someone continually be wrong and keep giving definitive statements, bravo!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Completely agreed. Though a dollar for dollar swap of Marleau <-> Braun could make some sense

Are you adding your 1st rounder on top of that? Because Marleau certainly doesn't have any value, especially not to the point of getting Braun back for him.

I find it hard to believe San Jose wants anything to do with a player who father time has caught up with .

Marleau's still a fine 3rd liner and being paid $3.25 million for a 1 year 3rd liner isn't bad. If they're up against the cap, that may present issues (don't know their cap situation), but Marleau at $3.25 million in theory isn't a problem. It's like the Penguins having Chris Kunitz at $3.85 million in 2016-2017, that's not a problem unless you absolutely need cap space for other things.

Reactions: uncleben

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The Leafs would have to eat some of that salary and also give a pick and prospect away to make it happen. Not sure I see it happening
I think they probably move Kadri ++ to make cap space
If a top D is available, I also think they look at moving Nylander

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I mean that would be the best solution for Leafs, but why is Marleau giving up on his last chance at the Cup exactly?

is that what he is doing?

my take... if leafs eat 1/2 his salary and dont expect anything back maybe a team like san jose brings him back since he was rather popular there and they might expect a bounceback from him.

LA/Anaheim are in complete rebuilds... if Toronto was throwing in a very top pick/prospect then maybe they are interested but otherwise why the hell would they be?

san jose is the only team that makes much sense at all and I put their odds at contending for a cup well above torontos

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Who is this source? Are they credible?

Those leadership keys are firmly in Tavares’ hands btw

He seems credible, he says so himself!

Screenshot_2019-04-25-07-19-37.png

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Are you adding your 1st rounder on top of that? Because Marleau certainly doesn't have any value, especially not to the point of getting Braun back for him.

Marleau's still a fine 3rd liner and being paid $3.25 million for a 1 year 3rd liner isn't bad. If they're up against the cap, that may present issues (don't know their cap situation), but Marleau at $3.25 million in theory isn't a problem. It's like the Penguins having Chris Kunitz at $3.85 million in 2016-2017, that's not a problem unless you absolutely need cap space for other things.

Your 1st and 2nd paragraphs contradict themselves. A defensively strong vet top 9 winger under 4 mill that you're expecting 35-40 points from has positive value. Perhaps not enough for Braun straight up, but given the histories involved with a mid-small add it's not inconceivable. Especially since SJ would need to send money back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad