Marleau 2 goals, 6 shots in 5-4 victory, and the 40 year old still flies!

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Even though I’m not a Sharks fan you love to see stuff like this. Marleau should have never left and I hope he has a great bounce back season.

I know what you're getting at, but...... him leaving and coming back >>>> him staying.

Reactions: Phu

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
No one is more fit than Marleau, so for him to hop in and do what he did tonight isn't shocking at all.

Now let's see where it goes from here.

Reactions: Cassano

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Tom Brady is 42 and still looks like he can play
Marleau can be like Chelios or Jagr and play for few more years. Why not?

The problem isn't his speed. It's that his eyes and hands can't keep up with the pace. Doubt he doesn't retire after this season.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Expect another 20 goal, 40 point season with 3 or 4 game winners.

No third line role like Toronto wasted him on last season.
Haha so wait, are you saying he was wasted playing with skilled players vs 2nd and 3rd pairing D the last few years? Because that's the reality. He can still skate but that's about it. I dont really get the angle here. We don't hate Marleau in Toronto. Hes an older player who brings very little to the table at this point and I'm sure Sharks fans would agree. 100% troll thread.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
why would carolina force him out like that smh

Perhaps I mis-remembered the situation, but I thought that Patty would only play for S.J., who couldn't take his contract. So he obviously had to be bought out. Toronto looked around for who would pay his buyout. Carolina was willing to do it for a 1st. They were just the intermediary in a financial transaction, had nothing to do with Marleau.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Figured this would be a thread. If anyone paid any attention to Leaf fans when talking about Marleau, they have always said he has been great after breaks. Right after the offseason, xmas break, and all star weekend.

The problem is, after 10-15 games, he slows down and is useless, and refuses to be sat to rest due to his iron man streak.

Let's see what he is doing mid point through the year and how frustrated Sharks fans become when every play dies on his stick.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Figured this would be a thread. If anyone paid any attention to Leaf fans when talking about Marleau, they have always said he has been great after breaks. Right after the offseason, xmas break, and all star weekend.

The problem is, after 10-15 games, he slows down and is useless, and refuses to be sat to rest due to his iron man streak.

Let's see what he is doing mid point through the year and how frustrated Sharks fans become when every play dies on his stick.
Ah, let's just hope for the best instead!

I like Patrick Marleau, and wish him well

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Very happy for Marleau. Showing he can still play a 3rd line role. I am sure he has extra motivation this year. Off to a great start. Letting his play do the taking.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Obviously he’s not going to play as well as he did last night for the whole season, but he genuinely was the best player on the ice for either team, even excluding the goals. If he can produce 30 points in a bottom-6 role, he’s done his job in my eyes. I’m not expecting anything more.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Obviously he's playing with a chip on his shoulder after getting bought out :sarcasm:

Jokes aside, i get a sense of relief from Marleau in his interviews. If i had to guess he was surprised the Sharks didn't sign him the first place and probably was thinking to himself "is this it". Dude seems genuinely happy and is smiling a lot more in interviews than normally.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Marleau is four game winners from trailing the career totals of only Jagr, Howe and Esposito.

(He has had 4 in six of his last seven seasons, so it's doable.)

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
If the Sharks have to rely on a 40 year old to win them games, then wait till games 40 or 50 when the wheels fall of the geriatric train. Him and Thornton will be going on fumes. That sharks team is old as f***.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Meh, I couldn't care less as a Leafs fan. Never got attached to him. I am happy he is gone. Whatever he does in SJ does not affect me or the Leafs whatsoever. Good riddance. I'd rather see much younger players like Trevor Moore and Ilya Mikheyev given a chance to play instead. Leafs will be better for it in the long run this season. There is no way Leafs could keep him at his cap hit anyway, regardless of his play.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Patty gets his farewell tour, which is great. He and Thornton deserve to have their careers celebrated, and to retire together would be a fitting finish for the first and second overall picks of the 1997 draft.
They can play beyond this year if they stay healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad