Markus Naslund

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Hockey Homies and Homettes!

Today I wanted to get thoughts/opinions on Markus Naslund. I hopped on hockey reference for a stat check, didn't remember he was a stud in 02-03 (winning the Pearson)! Just wanted the consensus from other fans, the western Canada and Canuck fans etc. Did Naslund "meet" expectations career-wise looking at the numbers/in hindsight? Do Canucks fans (and others) think maybe he didn't get it done come playoff time? (14 goals in 52 games). I'm wondering if he was a guy because he wore the "C" that had the finger pointed at him for "underachieving" in the playoffs, or the complete opposite, just because his numbers weren't out-of-this-world he was still playing a solid two-way game etc when it mattered most. A 3 time all star...not bad...was a little surprised he wasn't a point-per-game guy when all was said and done. Look forward to the knowledge and thoughts, especially from Canuck fans-Jim

Reactions: quoipourquoi

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
There was a time he was one of the best in the game, it was a short peak for him but his line with Morrison and Bertuzzi was one of the best in hockey at one time.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
There was a time he was one of the best in the game, it was a short peak for him but his line with Morrison and Bertuzzi was one of the best in hockey at one time.

I remember that line being a "big" line for sure. They must've ran roughshod in 02-03 especially (in conjunction with Naslund's career year etc.)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The unique thing about his career is that he was a 1st-team All Star three seasons in a row (won the Pearson and would have won the Hart/Art Ross if not for a late-season injury), and yet there's little movement afoot to enshrine him in the Hall of Fame. He's probably the only player in history we can say that of.

I think a few aspects play into this. One, he was somewhat a late bloomer, having been down the pecking order in Mario-Pittsburgh. Alongside the Messier-era Canucks, he hit his stride (with more ice-time) in 1998-99 when he was 25.

Then, when he was at his peak from 2001 to 2004, his center was Brendan Morrison (and Bertuzzi his winger). Now, I really like Morrison, a great guy who was a fabulous 2nd-line type of center, but if you've got an Art Ross/Hart candidate, do you really want a Brendan Morrison to be that guy's center? In other words, Naslund was not gifted the kind of 1st-line center that might have swung yet more points/awards his way. (I also think Bertuzzi might have looked a lot better in his two peaks seasons than he actually was, as his numbers aside from Naslund suggest.)

Third, he was somewhat a victim of the Lock-out. He was 31 when the Lock-out started, and 32 when he got back to the ice. While he still had one more productive season in (the slightly power-play inflated) 2005-06, he also was a team-worst -19 and never again approached those scoring numbers.

Fourth, by the time he left Van -- to die with the Rangers, as all former stars do -- he had been supplanted as King Swede of Van by the Sedins. In the memory of the mass-herd, it seems like two Swedish twins make a better (and more recent) story than one soft-spoken Swedish guy.

So, anyway, at his peak he was really, really good -- certainly the best LW in the League for three years -- but to me he never quite put over that extra factor that would make a clear-cut Hall of Famer.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
The west coast express was one of the best lines ever top 10 maybe 15. Peak bertuzzi was as good as peak iginla

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
His best moment in the SC playoffs was probably when he drove the net in the dying moments of game 7 in the first round against CGY in 04 and Cooke scored on the rebound with 5 seconds left. Canucks still lost that game and series in OT though. He still showed more than Bertuzzi.

For Team Sweden he’ll always have a suspect track record for what happened in the 02 Olympics against Belarus. Forsberg was out and Näslund was supposed to deliver his goods. This was when he stood on his heights with the WCE. He scored 2 goals in a more or less meaningless blow out victory against Germany in the round robin and then disappeared from the face of the earth.

Then in 06 he was slated to make the team again, gets injured, Tomas Holmström replaces him and Sweden wins the gold medal.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The west coast express was one of the best lines ever top 10 maybe 15. Peak bertuzzi was as good as peak iginla
latest

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
For Team Sweden he’ll always have a suspect track record for what happened in the 02 Olympics against Belarus. Forsberg was out and Näslund was supposed to deliver his goods. This was when he stood on his heights with the WCE. He scored 2 goals in a more or less meaningless blow out victory against Germany in the round robin and then disappeared from the face of the earth.

Then in 06 he was slated to make the team again, gets injured, Tomas Holmström replaces him and Sweden wins the gold medal.
This is the thing with Naslund -- he's just missing that extra evidence of 'greatness' needed to push him over the top.

To Canucks' fans, I'm curious: Who do you consider the greatest Canuck ever? Where does Naslund rank in this?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
When Naslund came to Van in the Pits trade. Don't think anyone thought he would be a future captain and was one of the best players in the league. 1998 to 2006 from age 25 to 32. His Prime he was a 3rd leading scorer behind Jagr and Sakic. 2001 to 2004 his Peak Naslund was leading scorer. He came close to the Ross in 2003 and 2004. 2003 losing to Forsberg during the last day of the RS. 2004 if no Moore Incident probably would of had good chance at the Ross. Naslund does have a Pearson and 3 first all star team on his resume.

His numbers are little bit low but we need to remember most his Prime years was in the dead at puck era. Also he did develope late and decline early.

Playoff points and lack of team success? Naslund wasn't great in the playoffs for the most part. But 2003 and 2004 Naslund had a stretch of 23 points on 21 games. Naslund had some clutch moments, Canucks down 3-1 against Blues, Naslund scored in game 5 6 and 7. End to end rush that led to Cooke goal.

Naslund team didn't have much playoff success. Only won one playoff round. Naslund is probably last player you can blame. His team didn't have the depth or the goaltending.

If there was a poll people probably think Linden and H Sedin were better captains. Mainly because they had more playoff success. Which is little unfair don't think if we replace Prime H Sedin or Linden with Naslund on those teams will change the results. Naslund had to carry the team on his back more than Linden and H sedin

Reactions: Melrose Munch

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
To Canucks' fans, I'm curious: Who do you consider the greatest Canuck ever? Where does Naslund rank in this?

To me personally, Bure is, despite what happened in his last few seasons there. His peak years in 92–94 he was simply magic, both effectively and aesthetically. Almost cryptozoological. Then I guess Henrik Sedin, because 83 even strength points and leading the league in assists three years in a row. Then I would go with Linden, because of his playoffs alone. 80 points in 79 playoff games in his first stint in Vancouver to go along with grit, leadership and game 7 heroics. Then probably Daniel Sedin, then Näslund, then Luongo I guess, and then Kirk McLean.

0. A. Edler
1. P. Bure
2. H. Sedin
3. T. Linden
4. D. Sedin
5. M. Näslund
5. R. Luongo
6. K. McLean
7. R. Kesler
8. T. Bertuzzi
9. T. Gradin
10. M. Öhlund

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
He was pretty anonymous for large parts of his career. I think the start playing in Vancouver have been very underrated as well the exception is Bure.

Like Lidstrom early on in the national team, he lacks that memorable performance. He never gets the chance to do that either since after 04 he didn't dress a single game. Naslund never joins that golden generation and gets that golden ticket to the HOF that Alfredsson and Sundin get in 06.

That lockout took away another great year for him. Another season with a good solid Top 10 finish, another all-star selection and some Hart votes.

Had he just been more consistent and lucky i think he makes the HOF.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Markus Naslund exceeded expectations. When the Canucks brought him in, it was more of a reclamation project for him, he was on a stacked Penguins team, and his ice time was quite limited, hopefully a change in scenery can boost his ice time, it's unfortunate he brought out in 1999, rather then when hes at a younger age. It's just his luck, he played on the Canucks, a humble quiet leader, played his best before Moore took him out. Went from an all star player to a 1st line winger, quickly to a 2nd line Winger.

He really treated his team 1st, Canucks came first everything was 2nd. 2006 made the olympics for Sweden but declined to stay healthy and ready for the Canucks.

2003 was his best chance, (and the team) to win the cup back then, held back by below average goaltending. One of the greatest in Canuck history.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
0. A. Edler
1. P. Bure
2. H. Sedin
3. T. Linden
4. D. Sedin
5. M. Näslund
5. R. Luongo
6. K. McLean
7. R. Kesler
8. T. Bertuzzi
9. T. Gradin
10. M. Öhlund

no steamer? ouch

i’m almost completely sure i don’t have naslund in my top 5, and reasonably sure i can’t have smyl, mclean, ohlund, gradin, kesler (or 16 unbelievable months of bert, or anyone else) ahead of him at #6.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i just don't see how one could have naslund ahead of luongo, for instance. that 2nd in hart voting in '07 > the '03 season imo, luongo won more playoff rounds in one season than naslund did in his entire twelve years in vancouver, and the difference between twelve seasons and eight isn't really that much when you consider that the substance of each guy's greatness as a canuck is really a 4-6 season stretch.

Admiral Awesome

Jun 8, 2015
The unique thing about his career is that he was a 1st-team All Star three seasons in a row (won the Pearson and would have won the Hart/Art Ross if not for a late-season injury), and yet there's little movement afoot to enshrine him in the Hall of Fame. He's probably the only player in history we can say that of.

I think a few aspects play into this. One, he was somewhat a late bloomer, having been down the pecking order in Mario-Pittsburgh. Alongside the Messier-era Canucks, he hit his stride (with more ice-time) in 1998-99 when he was 25.

Then, when he was at his peak from 2001 to 2004, his center was Brendan Morrison (and Bertuzzi his winger). Now, I really like Morrison, a great guy who was a fabulous 2nd-line type of center, but if you've got an Art Ross/Hart candidate, do you really want a Brendan Morrison to be that guy's center? In other words, Naslund was not gifted the kind of 1st-line center that might have swung yet more points/awards his way. (I also think Bertuzzi might have looked a lot better in his two peaks seasons than he actually was, as his numbers aside from Naslund suggest.)

Third, he was somewhat a victim of the Lock-out. He was 31 when the Lock-out started, and 32 when he got back to the ice. While he still had one more productive season in (the slightly power-play inflated) 2005-06, he also was a team-worst -19 and never again approached those scoring numbers.

Fourth, by the time he left Van -- to die with the Rangers, as all former stars do -- he had been supplanted as King Swede of Van by the Sedins. In the memory of the mass-herd, it seems like two Swedish twins make a better (and more recent) story than one soft-spoken Swedish guy.

So, anyway, at his peak he was really, really good -- certainly the best LW in the League for three years -- but to me he never quite put over that extra factor that would make a clear-cut Hall of Famer.
Huh?

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I know it’s such a minor thing, but he missed a 2nd Team selection in 2000-01 by 2 voting points and I think that would have been huge in retrospect.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017

Panther good info, but I wanted to write because I'm dying over the "die with the Rangers" comment! ha ha ha!! so accurate! omg I just thought off the top of my head I think it was Valeri Kamensky's last team, Mike Keane's last team, lol...Shanahan was there before he went back to the Devils I think....it's like if your agent pushes you to sign with the Rangers, you know it's your last team!

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Markus Naslund exceeded expectations. When the Canucks brought him in, it was more of a reclamation project for him, he was on a stacked Penguins team, and his ice time was quite limited, hopefully a change in scenery can boost his ice time, it's unfortunate he brought out in 1999, rather then when hes at a younger age. It's just his luck, he played on the Canucks, a humble quiet leader, played his best before Moore took him out. Went from an all star player to a 1st line winger, quickly to a 2nd line Winger.

He really treated his team 1st, Canucks came first everything was 2nd. 2006 made the olympics for Sweden but declined to stay healthy and ready for the Canucks.

2003 was his best chance, (and the team) to win the cup back then, held back by below average goaltending. One of the greatest in Canuck history.

I momentarily forgot about the fact the infamous Bertuzzi/Steve Moore incident was retaliatory for a Moore hit on Naslund. This initial hit I don't remember very well. Did Naslund sustain any type of serious injury and miss significant playing time after this? Was Moore suspended?

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I momentarily forgot about the fact the infamous Bertuzzi/Steve Moore incident was retaliatory for a Moore hit on Naslund. This initial hit I don't remember very well. Did Naslund sustain any type of serious injury and miss significant playing time after this? Was Moore suspended?

No suspension.

Naslund was concussed and left with bone chips in his elbow. He was not the same player after that.

My Top 5 All-Time Canucks...

1. H. Sedin
2. D. Sedin
3. Bure
4. Linden
5. McLean

Naslund is somewhere in the next 5 with Smyl, Ohlund, Luongo and Kesler.

Without the Moore hit, he was trending to be a very good player, perhaps borderline HOF. As a poster mentioned earlier, though, he would really have benefited from a better center than Brendan Morrison... and the lockout hurt him too. After that hit, though, he seemed to lose some of his passion for the game and became much more of a perimeter player.

In fact, that whole Moore series of incidents pretty much ruined or greatly diminished 3 careers, Naslund's, Moore's and Bertuzzi's.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
No suspension.

Naslund was concussed and left with bone chips in his elbow. He was not the same player after that.

My Top 5 All-Time Canucks...

1. H. Sedin
2. D. Sedin
3. Bure
4. Linden
5. McLean

Naslund is somewhere in the next 5 with Smyl, Ohlund, Luongo and Kesler.

Without the Moore hit, he was trending to be a very good player, perhaps borderline HOF. As a poster mentioned earlier, though, he would really have benefited from a better center than Brendan Morrison... and the lockout hurt him too. After that hit, though, he seemed to lose some of his passion for the game and became much more of a perimeter player.

In fact, that whole Moore series of incidents pretty much ruined or greatly diminished 3 careers, Naslund's, Moore's and Bertuzzi's.

I just hopped on youtube here to see the Moore hit on Naslund….Naslund was a bit prone....and Moore for sure didn't seem to have an interest in playing the puck and wanted to waste him.....they have Marc Crawford talking to the media too..ohhhh he was pissed....Naslund was the league's leading scorer at the time he said!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad