Markus Naslund

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I momentarily forgot about the fact the infamous Bertuzzi/Steve Moore incident was retaliatory for a Moore hit on Naslund. This initial hit I don't remember very well. Did Naslund sustain any type of serious injury and miss significant playing time after this? Was Moore suspended?

Naslund was concussed, also later on, we found out there were bone ships in his wrist, from the result of the Steve Moore hit. since then we was never the same deadly player, he was still an effecitve 1st line winger, but no longer a dangerous 40 goal scorer we see. very sad.
went from Superstar...

to

1st line winger.

like a like 95 point guy to 75 point guy.

Moore was not suspended Naslund missed 4 games, (took him right out of the Art Ross race also)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim MacDonald

Admiral Awesome

Jun 8, 2015
I momentarily forgot about the fact the infamous Bertuzzi/Steve Moore incident was retaliatory for a Moore hit on Naslund. This initial hit I don't remember very well. Did Naslund sustain any type of serious injury and miss significant playing time after this? Was Moore suspended?
I worked at Denver International Airport at the time, and I actually checked Naslund in for a flight to Vancouver the day after that injury (he didn't fly back with the team after the game), and he didn't look great. Had some stitches and gauze across his nose/forehead, if memory serves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelonius

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I know it’s such a minor thing, but he missed a 2nd Team selection in 2000-01 by 2 voting points and I think that would have been huge in retrospect.

but in no way shape or form did he deserve the 2004 first team over elias, or probably also the second team over kovy either. so it evens out.

but as i always say, no one who actually followed those seasons closely doesn’t know that the real great three season naslund run was 01, 02, 03, not 02, 03, 04. long before steve moore saw and took a freebie 2004 was a giant piece of half-gassed dog crap, with shiny numbers to cover the smell.

QUOTE="Jim MacDonald, post: 146630927, member: 291917"]Thanks for this Vadim! I love to listen/read twice as much as I talk/type so feel free to vent away if ya like[/QUOTE]

everything i could possibly say is all in that thread. including the answer to...

enjoy

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
As a poster mentioned earlier, though, he would really have benefited from a better center than Brendan Morrison...

Morrison centering Näslund & Bertuzzi probably helped them more because he could sit back a bit and they could roam free in the offensive zone. Morrison was no slouch.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
I worked at Denver International Airport at the time, and I actually checked Naslund in for a flight to Vancouver the day after that injury (he didn't fly back with the team after the game), and he didn't look great. Had some stitches and gauze across his nose/forehead, if memory serves.

That's so crazy Admiral! Wow, talk about a first-hand perspective!

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
This is the thing with Naslund -- he's just missing that extra evidence of 'greatness' needed to push him over the top.

To Canucks' fans, I'm curious: Who do you consider the greatest Canuck ever? Where does Naslund rank in this?

I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this (it's certainly not how outsiders see it), but I grew up in Vancouver, so I've got my finger on the local pulse:

Linden/Bure
Naslund
H. Sedin
D. Sedin
Smyl

Some die-hards might even have Smyl higher.

For goalies, Luongo is clearly the best, though again most people have a big soft spot for the other two Cup-losing goalies King Richard Brodeur and Kirk McLean.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
1. Henrik Sedin
2. Daniel Sedin
3. Pavel Bure
4. Trevor Linden
5. Roberto Luongo/Markus Naslund
6. Markus Naslund/Roberto Luongo
7. Smyl

I have a tough time ordering the 4-5-6 but 5 & 6 especially.

Naslund obviously at his peak was one of the best players in the league. Bertuzzi had an insane peak and Morrison had his place but Naslund was the top guy of the 3 and the 2 wingers kinda carried Morrison along.

The lockout came at a bad time for the Canucks. Previously, the road to the final looked to be there in 2003 then the collapse against Minnesota. Then the Bertuzzi suspension before the 2004 playoffs sunk them going in & Cloutier got hurt in the first round. Then you have the lockout after that.

Coming out of the lockout there was hope the team would pick back up & contend. Cloutier went down very early in the year with a season-ending injury, Auld performed well as the defacto starter but the Canucks were left looking for a goalie. Jovanoski also missed alot of that season which was a big blow, the WCE wasn't as good that year and as it went along the Sedins clearly became the top guys on the team that season. It was a tough year for the Canucks and that was really it for Naslund as a premier player afterward.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Morrison centering Näslund & Bertuzzi probably helped them more because he could sit back a bit and they could roam free in the offensive zone. Morrison was no slouch.

I don’t remember that but I do remember Brian Burke referring to Morrison as the mouse playing between Two Elephants,if you Check the box scores from that time you will see an inordinate amount of games where Näslund and Bertuzzi we’re finishing with 3-4 points each some nights while Morrison was held off the scoresheet.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I don’t remember that but I do remember Brian Burke referring to Morrison as the mouse playing between Two Elephants,if you Check the box scores from that time you will see an inordinate amount of games where Näslund and Bertuzzi we’re finishing with 3-4 points each some nights while Morrison was held off the scoresheet.

Morrison during Näslund's two most productive seasons had 67 and 71 points, that's not that bad. Morrison had a kinda quiet demeanor on the ice, perhaps that's where the "mouse" thing comes into the picture, because it seems a bit strange to call one of your own players, effectively your 1C, more or less an insignificant player.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Morrison during Näslund's two most productive seasons had 67 and 71 points, that's not that bad. Morrison had a kinda quiet demeanor on the ice, perhaps that's where the "mouse" thing comes into the picture, because it seems a bit strange to call one of your own players, effectively your 1C, more or less an insignificant player.

Morrison was a 2nd line centre at best I thought that Bert and Nazzy were much more effective with Andrew Cassels

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Morrison was a 2nd line centre at best

That's why I said effectively. Of course Morrison is not a 1C you win a Cup with. He was still a good player. Centered the Huselius–Morrison–Knuble line during the lockout here in Sweden. That line was dynamite.

Reactions: McCoy

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
I just got done watching a recap of the 2003 Quarterfinals between the Canucks and Wild....I don't mean to cause pain to Canucks fans, but I can't get over how that series got turned on its head so much after they went up 3-1! It was almost like the 7 goals given up in game 5....I don't know...did some like weird permanent psychological damage the rest of the way. In one of the media snippets after game 6 Naslund was raked over the goals....saying stuff like how he's been a defensive liability against the Gaborik line....it was said Naslund-Bert-Morrison all vanished into thin air after Game 5. Even in Game 7 though Canucks are up 2-0 and wow just some of the weirdest goals started going in for Minnesota...ugh...

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
This is the thing with Naslund -- he's just missing that extra evidence of 'greatness' needed to push him over the top.

To Canucks' fans, I'm curious: Who do you consider the greatest Canuck ever? Where does Naslund rank in this?

My rankings as a Canucks fan:

1)Henrik Sedin
2)Daniel Sedin
3)Pavel Bure
4)Trevor Linden/Markus Naslund
5)Markus Naslund/Trevor Linden

The rest are Hm: Roberto Luongo, Kirk McLean, Matthias Ohlund, Stan Smyl, Ryan Kesler, Todd Bertuzzi, Jyrki Lumme, etc.

Sooner or later, Linden and Naslund will continue to be brought down by future gens of Canucks.

Last edited:

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
That's why I said effectively. Of course Morrison is not a 1C you win a Cup with. He was still a good player. Centered the Huselius–Morrison–Knuble line during the lockout here in Sweden. That line was dynamite.

Morrison was like a Krejci level player in 2011.

flipp

Jan 11, 2010
Näslund was extremly talented. Scored 40 points in 39 games in SHL as a 18 year old (almost unheard of). Also 8 goals in 7 games in World Juniors at age 18 and then 13 goals in 7 games in World Juniors at age 19. He was very strong and athletic as a junior. Quite a bit stronger and faster than Forsberg at that time.

It is actually a bit strange that he ended up as a late bloomer. Snipers like Naslund usually peak around 25 if not earlier. I think it was due to bad luck or his lack of emotional stability . He could have been a 40 goal scorer from age 21-22 if he would have gotten the same role in Pittsburgh as he got in Vancouver.

Last edited:

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Näslund was extremly talented. Scored 40 points in 39 games in SHL as a 18 year old (almost unheard of). Also 8 goals in 7 games in World Juniors at age 18 and then 13 goals in 7 games in World Juniors at age 19. He was very strong and athletic as a junior. Quite a bit stronger and faster than Forsberg at that time.

It is actually a bit strange that he ended up as a late bloomer. Snipers like Naslund usually peak around 25 if not earlier. I think it was due to bad luck or his lack of emotional stability . He could have been a 40 goal scorer from age 21-22 if he would have gotten the same role in Pittsburgh as he got in Vancouver.

He was emotionally stable - it was just the opposite of Forsberg. Which is funny considering they were childhood friends and player together through juniors.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
If PIT had traded Näslund for a good defenseman instead of for a player with one season of glorified OHL numbers they may have competed better in the mid 90s. But Näslund's value wasn't exactly sky high at the time. Even when he first came to Vancouver he had 3 goals (a hattrick) and 9 pointless games. He wasn't an instant hit in VAN but grew slowly into a legit first liner.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He was emotionally stable - it was just the opposite of Forsberg. Which is funny considering they were childhood friends and player together through juniors.

They did become good friends during their common time with MoDo, but that was just at the end of their junior careers. Näslund played originally for Järved (like the Sedins later would) and then with men (himself aged 15) for the team of his father in Örnsköldsvik.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Näslund was extremly talented. Scored 40 points in 39 games in SHL as a 18 year old (almost unheard of).

daniel sedin at 18: 42 pts

elias pettersson at 18: 41 pts

so you’re saying my boy will peak as the mvp runner up? i’ll take it

Reactions: flipp

flipp

Jan 11, 2010
Sure? I always felt that Naslund was a worried soul. My impression was that Forsberg was more mentally tough and much more relaxed. This is pure speculation tough

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Sure? I always felt that Naslund was a worried soul. My impression was that Forsberg was more mentally tough and much more relaxed. This is pure speculation tough

maybe it was missing a "not"?

mike sillinger recently talked about naslund on a podcast. they carpooled to the rink together during that insane 1998 season where bure, mogilny, linden, messier, kirk mclean, arturs irbe, gino, brashear, ohlund, naslund, and yes dave babych all overlapped for the first half of the year.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...or-12-teams-was-an-honour-privilege-1.1247393

he said basically that, naslund was a worried soul.

Reactions: flipp

flipp

Jan 11, 2010
maybe it was missing a "not"?

mike sillinger recently talked about naslund on a podcast. they carpooled to the rink together during that insane 1998 season where bure, mogilny, linden, messier, kirk mclean, arturs irbe, gino, brashear, ohlund, naslund, and yes dave babych all overlapped for the first half of the year.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...or-12-teams-was-an-honour-privilege-1.1247393

he said basically that, naslund was a worried soul.
Forsberg and Naslund recently played table tennis on the Swedish television. You could almost feel how nervous Naslund was whereas Forsberg was more relaxed and of course won.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad