Markstrom Sent Back to SA

p9ers

May 11, 2011
Toronto
It just makes no sense to me to call him up temporarily to face, arguably, the two best teams in the conference. They put him in position to fail, and, for what it's worth, he didn't.

I assume the management wanted to shake up the team. If Markstrom had won us the game against Boston and Pittsburgh, we could have made a push for a playoff spot and keep the hopes alive. However, since the team got two loss and are out of it, there's no reason to keep him here.

I think it was a move worth trying, a bit late in my opinion, but nonetheless, not a screw up. Also, Markstrom is such a confident goalie, that a shaky start wouldn't have made a dent.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
I assume the management wanted to shake up the team. If Markstrom had won us the game against Boston and Pittsburgh, we could have made a push for a playoff spot and keep the hopes alive. However, since the team got two loss and are out of it, there's no reason to keep him here.

I think it was a move worth trying, a bit late in my opinion, but nonetheless, not a screw up. Also, Markstrom is such a confident goalie, that a shaky start wouldn't have made a dent.
To me, that's more of a reason to keep him here. The only logical explanation for sending him down is that we're trying to trade a goalie, probably Theo. If a Theo deal isn't done before the deadline, there's no reason why we should have sent him back down.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
To me, that's more of a reason to keep him here. The only logical explanation for sending him down is that we're trying to trade a goalie, probably Theo. If a Theo deal isn't done before the deadline, there's no reason why we should have sent him back down.

Do you realize that pretty much no team keeps 3 goalies on hand? Do you understand that it wasn't Marks fault that we lost the games that he played? Theo and Clem can hold the fort down this season and I would rather see Marks get big minutes in SA for the rest of the year. We need more offense, plain and simple. Versteeg should be off IR and back in the line-up soon, so we need that roster spot for him.
You guys have some interesting ideas, that's for sure. Not well thought out, but interesting...

Madhatter73

Apr 20, 2004
Do you realize that pretty much no team keeps 3 goalies on hand? Do you understand that it wasn't Marks fault that we lost the games that he played? Theo and Clem can hold the fort down this season and I would rather see Marks get big minutes in SA for the rest of the year. We need more offense, plain and simple. Versteeg should be off IR and back in the line-up soon, so we need that roster spot for him.
You guys have some interesting ideas, that's for sure. Not well thought out, but interesting...

More offense won't necessarily help a team that still loses when it scores 5 goals.

I think the thought was to move a tender and keep Marky up... He showed he can play at this level now... I'd rather him see 20+ games of NHL shots than spend more time in the AHL. He will grow more on the big team at this point.

The "not well thought out" part is a bit unnecessary. Differing opinions are what a forum is for.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
More offense won't necessarily help a team that still loses when it scores 5 goals.

I think the thought was to move a tender and keep Marky up... He showed he can play at this level now... I'd rather him see 20+ games of NHL shots than spend more time in the AHL. He will grow more on the big team at this point.

The "not well thought out" part is a bit unnecessary. Differing opinions are what a forum is for.

I'm pretty sure we win more often than we lose after scoring 5 goals.

If we don't have the offense to consistently win than I don't see a reason to keep Marks up here.

1- Theo can do a good job in net as long as we generate offense, which we haven't on a regular basis.

2-Marks was playing well and meshing well with teammates in SA before he got the promotion.

3-Jacob's experience in the AHL is a lot more important than some of you may realize. He is gaining confidence and becoming a team leader in the locker room.

4-Theo is not getting traded right now (has a no move clause) and Clem is signed through next year.

5- Rampage! I think some of you forget that we have a farm team in SA that we are trying to build a winner in, and will be important to our success. Every time we lose a player to a trade or injury means we have to weaken the Rampage team and also the Cyclones with call-ups. If DGM gets injured, then god help the Rampage with only Foster in net.

6- Enough of this "firesale" stuff on the main boards. If we lost Weiss, Flash, Kuli, Weaver, Goc, and for whatever crazy reason Mueller... and Kopecky?? Really??? God help us next season.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm pretty sure we win more often than we lose after scoring 5 goals.

If we don't have the offense to consistently win than I don't see a reason to keep Marks up here.

1- Theo can do a good job in net as long as we generate offense, which we haven't on a regular basis.

2-Marks was playing well and meshing well with teammates in SA before he got the promotion.

3-Jacob's experience in the AHL is a lot more important than some of you may realize. He is gaining confidence and becoming a team leader in the locker room.

4-Theo is not getting traded right now (has a no move clause) and Clem is signed through next year.

5- Rampage! I think some of you forget that we have a farm team in SA that we are trying to build a winner in, and will be important to our success. Every time we lose a player to a trade or injury means we have to weaken the Rampage team and also the Cyclones with call-ups. If DGM gets injured, then god help the Rampage with only Foster in net.

6- Enough of this "firesale" stuff on the main boards. If we lost Weiss, Flash, Kuli, Weaver, Goc, and for whatever crazy reason Mueller... and Kopecky?? Really??? God help us next season.

Well obviously they would be replaced. And not all of them will be traded. This is coming from Bob McKenzie, that's why it's being talked about. He did say Kuli and Mueller won't be traded.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Well obviously they would be replaced. And not all of them will be traded. This is coming from Bob McKenzie, that's why it's being talked about. He did say Kuli and Mueller won't be traded.

I would expect a player or two to be traded, but our fans starting a "firesale" thread on the mains is a little disappointing. It just invites trolls.

Jacob Roberts

Jan 27, 2011
Jinju, S Korea
Your spot on JP Mick, we have 3 keepers and guys coming back from injury, of course a keeper will have to make way. Easiest one to move is Jake, back down to the AHL.

Theories about a trade that has been vetoed by Theo, or other similar nonesense are just that, nonesense. Its a numbers move pure and simple.

Im sure one of our keepers will be gone before the end of the year and Jake will be bought back up. Hes clearly the man for the future. Couldnt be more obvious. But for now he was the easiest to move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad