Waived: Markstrom on Waivers (UPD: Clears)

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Please clear... but this is good news, as it opens up a roster spot and hopefully a spot for 1-2 of Horvat/Shinkaruk/Jensen to make the team out of camp.

arsmaster*

I seriously doubt anyone will pick him up.

He's not very good, so I agree. I just hope they don't give him games he doesn't earn in Utica, because Jokie earned his starters role there and to this point looks the better prospect (although south paw goalies are mind ****s for me).

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Not unexpected. With Miller being signed to term and Lack being lights out so far, there was no room for a 3rd goalie, and Markstrom's value in a trade wasn't exactly high.

Hopefully he clears waivers, although that would create another goalie crunch in Utica; both Eriksson and Cannata were solid down there last year.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I guess this means it's guaranteed that one of the young forwards will start the season with the Canucks (since they now have room for one more player on the 23 man roster).

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Smart move to waive him now. With all the preseason injuries, it is only a matter of time before some team loses a starter and needs a goalie.
He might get claimed, anyway...but there is a better chance of getting him through now than later.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Probably the best time to try to sneak Marky through. Damn thought that said Tom Sestito. :P

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hope he's claimed. Would be nice to get that $1.4 million off the books. Expect he'll clear, though.

There is nothing at this point to indicate he's a quality NHL goalie.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Not unexpected. With Miller being signed to term and Lack being lights out so far, there was no room for a 3rd goalie, and Markstrom's value in a trade wasn't exactly high.

Hopefully he clears waivers, although that would create another goalie crunch in Utica; both Eriksson and Cannata were solid down there last year.

Pretty much, Lack has been unreal so far.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
If he clears, is he still subject to recall waivers or did that change in the last CBA? (I seem to recall it did change but not sure).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad