Rumor: Markstrom is asking for Connor Hellebuyck $$$$$

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Micheal Ferland's camp apparently started their negotiation with Carolina at $7mil X 6-7 years. He settled for half that.

Markstrom can ask for whatever he wants. The question is, what will he be offered?

More than 3 years, quite obviously.

Ferland had 1 goal in his last 30 games last year and his body is falling apart, and everyone knew his production was a product of elite linemates. Kinda not the same thing as an All-Star hugely trending up.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Micheal Ferland's camp apparently started their negotiation with Carolina at $7mil X 6-7 years. He settled for half that.

Markstrom can ask for whatever he wants. The question is, what will he be offered?

Ferland has a fairly significant injury history that includes concussions, plays a style that will not age well, and plays a less significant role/position. His career high is 41 points. Markstrom is arguably a top 10 starter in the league with no injury concerns. This is a terrible analogy.

Last edited:

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I don't want the term to bury Demko's future with us. To keep Markstrom requires a lot of "having the cake and eating it too" it seems.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
If Markstrom's camp starts at $6mil X 6 years and you end up signing the guy to $6mil X 5 years, you've just undergone the worst negotiation imaginable. And you think 'at least'? Especially if the rumour is true the Canucks started the negotiation at 2 years.

Markstrom can ask for whatever he wants. No way they should be locking a goaltender on the wrong side of 30 up for 5 years IMO, especially considering where Demko's game is at.

You do not move off 3 years until you're within hours of the opening of free agency. If Markstrom doesn't bend, you look at giving him the 4th year. No way you cave and give up a 5th year.

Why do you hate the Canucks MVP?

And the worst negotiation imaginable eh? Do you think Jim Benning should be fired if he gives Markstrom a 6X5?

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
More than 3 years, quite obviously.

Ferland had 1 goal in his last 30 games last year and his body is falling apart, and everyone knew his production was a product of elite linemates. Kinda not the same thing as an All-Star hugely trending up.

It's irrelevant the quality of these players. It's just one example of how little it matters what the players ask for. The question is what will they get. Free agents across the board this summer had dollars signs in their eyes, then the reality of July 1st hit and a bunch of them settled for significantly less. It appears GM's have wised up a bit, and the crazy, lucrative offers aren't coming in as frequently as years past. The cap being flat has left budgets tighter than we are used to seeing.

And like I said all along, if Markstrom can get that money, good for him. You move on with your terrific young goaltender, develop him into Ian Clark's next big protégé and re-invest that money into your defense.

The best right side dman on the market, Tyler Myers, will get $49mil! Signs for $20mil less... You get the point.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
If Markstrom won't settle for a cheaper and shorter contract, Demko will be starting next season. I don't believe the Canucks will give a starting goaltender anything close to 6x6 right now. 5x5 I could see. Maybe $5.5mm.

Reactions: MarkMM

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
It's irrelevant the quality of these players. It's just one example of how little it matters what the players ask for. The question is what will they get. Free agents across the board this summer had dollars signs in their eyes, then the reality of July 1st hit and a bunch of them settled for significantly less. It appears GM's have wised up a bit, and the crazy, lucrative offers aren't coming in as frequently as years past. The cap being flat has left budgets tighter than we are used to seeing.

And like I said all along, if Markstrom can get that money, good for him. You move on with your terrific young goaltender, develop him into Ian Clark's next big protégé and re-invest that money into your defense.

The best right side dman on the market, Tyler Myers, will get $49mil! Signs for $20mil less... You get the point.
There's no way Myers will get less than than 7x7. Why are you claiming he will? What are you basing it on?

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

And the worst negotiation imaginable eh? Do you think Jim Benning should be fired if he gives Markstrom a 6X5?

Not wanting to lock in a goaltender into the age of 35+ is 'hating'? I didn't want to give our best defensemen a 4+ year offer last offseason either. Before you ask, no, I don't hate Edler.

If the Canucks win the Stanley cup this season and Jim Benning signs Markstrom for 5 years, I wouldn't fire him.

Reactions: Breakers

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Not wanting to lock in a goaltender into the age of 35+ is 'hating'? I didn't want to give our best defensemen a 4+ year offer last offseason either. Before you ask, no, I don't hate Edler.

If the Canucks win the Stanley cup this season and Jim Benning signs Markstrom for 5 years, I wouldn't fire him.
Which reminds me, Edler won't get any less than 4 years either.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

If you're Markstrom, how do you not point to other contracts that Benning has given out (Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, etc.) to show how much more valuable you are to the team? Benning has made some terrible precedent in his UFA signings, and I see no reason why other players won't use them as examples to demand more. Although, at least Markstrom wants to say here so maybe he takes a discount.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There's no way Myers will get less than than 7x7. Why are you claiming he will? What are you basing it on?

Yes, the UFA market corrected unexpectedly and 2019 contracts weren't in line at all with the trend from the previous decade. Nobody is denying this.

It remains hilarious that I'm somehow taking heat for calling the exact two bad UFA contracts the Canucks would sign, 4-6 months ahead of time.

It also remains hilarious how much Hoghandler knows about everyone's posting history for someone who apparently wasn't a member here at the time.

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
His play makes him worth 7
Other goalies being available makes it 6
Hes comfortable here, knows we cant afford 6, settles for a small discount at 5.5

Other goalies are signing for 5+ years
We're apparently offering only 2 years
Settles for 4 years knowing we have leverage of two young goalies in pipeline

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Yes, the UFA market corrected unexpectedly and 2019 contracts weren't in line at all with the trend from the previous decade. Nobody is denying this.
This isn't what happened. Three players including Karlsson got contracts in excess of $10mm per season, Wayne Simmonds got $5mm after a 30 point season. Kevin Hayes got $49mm. You claimed a 2nd pairing defenceman and a middle 6 forward were about to get contracts of unprecedented value, very few people agreed with you, you ridiculed everyone who didn't, and you were wrong.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The top of the goalie market next year will have 4 goalies earning north of $8.5m/year.

Yet people are acting like $5.5m is the market.

Schneider is on $6m ffs. Signed in a much lower cap era. Percentage wise $6m is probably on the low end and I bet you the opening number from Marky’s camp starts with a 7 or 8.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Markstrom is able to win games by himself.

Could you say the same about Luo? I'm not sure.

If Ryan Miller can easily get a 3x6 contract then Markstrom getting a 6x6 contract should be a slam dunk.

Of course management is not interested because they've already spent all of the cap on bottom 6 age gappers.

Is that Marky's problem?

Nope.

Lol Marky’s a good goalie but c’mon man. Luongo was the best in the world for a while earlier in his career, he looked unbeatable at times. Luo was so good he basically carried the Canucks to the 2nd round of the 2007 playoffs with an incredible performance and gave a stacked Ducks team a scare in a hard fought series eventually losing to the Champs.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
The top of the goalie market next year will have 4 goalies earning north of $8.5m/year.

Schneider is on $6m ffs. Signed in a much lower cap era. Percentage wise $6m is probably on the low end and I bet you the opening number from Marky’s camp starts with a 7 or 8.

So if Benning signs Markstrom to a 5 year, $30mil contract, you will think it's a solid negotiation?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
4 x 5.5M or let him walk.

A cheaper NHL starter and Demko can split starts. We’d probably be a better overall team letting Markstrom walk allowing us to retain Tanev, Leivo & Stecher.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
4 x 5.5M or let him walk.

A cheaper NHL starter and Demko can split starts. We’d probably be a better overall team letting Markstrom walk allowing us to retain Tanev, Leivo & Stecher.

Yeah, wouldn't go higher than that either. Would offer $5.5mil x 3 until within hours of the deadline, then put 1 additional year on the table in the final hour. Markstrom takes it, or leaves it.

There is a very good chance Markstrom is better than Demko next season, and possibly the following one as well. Beyond that, it starts to look like a crap-shoot. Don't think you need to blow your brains out here, having Demko in the fold.

Had we not drafted Demko, it could be a different story.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
There are probably at least half a dozen other teams (Carolina, Detroit, San Jose, Chicago, Minnesota, Ottawa, New Jersey) who would sign Markstrom and pay him at least 5.5 million for 4 years. Seattle is coming soon too and the Canucks will only be able to protect 1 goalie. Who will that be? If I was Marky I would also demand a no trade clause. Great chance Seattle scoops whichever Canuck goalie is not protected as there is little else on this roster worth picking after players protected. This is a big consideration that management needs to figure out now.

You really think the Canucks can afford to lose their most important player this season? If not for Markstrom the Canucks would be well out of a playoff spot IMO. Why should the player give a discount when the Canucks arguably need him more than he needs them??

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

This whole thread was made based on a rumor that Markstrom is looking for 6 a year. Where do you get 7 or 8?

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Sign him but don’t give him trade or movement protection and the. Expose him to Seattle, if demko has stepped up next year.

If Seattle doesn’t take him trade him for what you can get

if demko doesn’t step up then you have him locked in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad