Rumor: Markstrom is asking for Connor Hellebuyck $$$$$

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
In your opinion, do you foresee any potential issues with Marky over the next couple years?

His size forestalls a lot of potential issues, and he has the positional play to take advantage of that size. He's also extremely quick laterally for that size. And his last two goalie coaches have done a good job simplifying/calming his game and keeping it that way.

One ting he has been doing the last two years is unworldly puck tracking. I'm very impressed but usually it is difficult to maintain that for such a long period. But that is totally unpredictable no matter how old the goalie is.

I believe he has 2-3 seasons of this level of play left, after that I can't say.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
His size forestalls a lot of potential issues, and he has the positional play to take advantage of that size. He's also extremely quick laterally for that size. And his last two goalie coaches have done a good job simplifying/calming his game and keeping it that way.

One ting he has been doing the last two years is unworldly puck tracking. I'm very impressed but usually it is difficult to maintain that for such a long period. But that is totally unpredictable no matter how old the goalie is.

I believe he has 2-3 seasons of this level of play left, after that I can't say.
To a guy like myself who has little goaltending knowledge it seems as if he’s no longer trying to make saves on the puck but is instead allowing his technique to move let him allow the puck to come to him. Way less goals go through him now than a few years back as well.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for this. It sounds like, in terms of technique, he's got it down pat. Any chance his size will affect him more than the average goalie e.g his knees? With how athletes tend to drop off as they hit their 30's I'm wondering if his body will physically hold up as well as a smaller goalie for instance.

Also, out of curiosity where would you rate current Markstrom compared to prime Luongo?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
*Look at Columbus and Florida

o_O

Markstrom only has 1 Vezina vote his entire nhl career. I highly doubt he gets more than a few Vezina votes this year. I can accept we might lose a top 10 goalie but can't accept Vezina calibre

There's no rumour about Markstrom asking for a Price or Bobrovsky contract (7/8 years, $10MM+ AAVs). We're talking about something that is probably 4-5 years and $6MM, which given his play, comparables, and his sheer importance to the success of how this team is currently constructed and coached, is completely fair. If we were to get the AAV under 6MM, that would be a very solid deal for at least the next 3 seasons.

Vancouver does not play a system where you could drop any goalie in and have success—and this will likely continue as long as we have a mickey mouse coach in Travis Green running the show. This is not the Columbus Blue Jackets, who play a very tight defensive system, but also had two quality young goaltending options with professional experience in Merzlikins (6 years in Swiss-A league) and Korpisalo (90 NHL starts + full season in Finnish league + 3 AHL stints). I think we're fooling ourselves if we think we can adopt a CBJ model of losing Bobrovsky and going with their backup plan of sub $3MM spent on goaltending and expect to get as good or nearly as good goaltending.

We have a goalie with 29 NHL starts under his belt (career 3GAA .905 right now) and a rookie pro on the farm who will have to overcome his size disadvantage. There's a reason why many posters have been frustrated that we haven't been giving Demko more NHL starts over the past 2.5 seasons just to see what we have in Demko and give us more confidence that he would be able to step in and provide us with goaltending similar to what we might eventually lose in Markstrom. We've done a poor job creating options and leverage for these important long term decisions that need to be made.

--------

Now, think about this from a PR and expectations perspective. After missing the playoffs for 4 straight years (and telling us for the bulk of those that this was a playoff team, a "100 point team", or "better than the 14-15 team"), the Canucks are on the verge of slipping into the playoffs and showing that all the GM's "hard work and patience" is finally paying off. Jacob Markstrom is one of the absolute biggest reasons why we're even sniffing at a playoff spot right now—the underlying numbers scream that this team is playing way above it's weight class.

Do you think that management/ownership can afford to go into next season without one of the biggest reasons why they took a step forward as a club?

Do you think that management/ownership want to take the risk that patching the situation with Demko/Veteran 1B might be a far cry from the level of goaltending the team was getting when Markstrom was in net? Do you think they can risk letting Markstrom walk, for no compensation, have him go to another club and continue with lights out goaltending for a few seasons while we regress at the very time when this club is supposed to be on the up and up?

I see a group that is looking for short term success at all costs to save their jobs personally.

--------

Lost in all of this is the straight up cap situation which is warping many poster's attitudes towards the situation because they refuse to answer the question of "Why can't we easily pay Markstrom and Tanev, two critical veteran players, this offseason?"

Tied up in this are two related questions:

1) What is Markstrom worth to us?
2) Can we fit it under the cap?

We should be mad that #2 is even a question right now given our roster.

------

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
6 by 6 is too much, if he wants that much, the term needs to be shorter.

I do lean more at the Varlamov contract at most, we'll need that flexibility if we want to retain Petey and Hughes.

If only Luongo just stayed on LTIRement....

There are a ton of ifs that this thread brings up salary cap wise.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Again - resign at a 3 year deal / 6M aav maximum, 4 years if he comes down in terms of AAV. Anything else and all the best.

6 million for the next 3 years is going to make for some tough decisions on other players coming up for new contracts.

Of course some of that can be mitigated if some prospects are NHL ready sooner than expected but........in most cases this seems unlikely at this point.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
6 million for the next 3 years is going to make for some tough decisions on other players coming up for new contracts.

Of course some of that can be mitigated if some prospects are NHL ready sooner than expected but........in most cases this seems unlikely at this point.

Sure, we can agree on that. Difficult decisions will undoubtedly have to be made, and I feel that this will be a critical offseason for management.

Reactions: wetcoast

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
Markstrom is able to win games by himself.

Could you say the same about Luo? I'm not sure.

If Ryan Miller can easily get a 3x6 contract then Markstrom getting a 6x6 contract should be a slam dunk.

Of course management is not interested because they've already spent all of the cap on bottom 6 age gappers.

Is that Marky's problem?

Nope.
Luongo can't win games by himself? Jesus. An unbelievable stretch by Marky and all of the sudden people forget how many games Lu stole for us.

Reactions: nihlify

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Thanks for this. It sounds like, in terms of technique, he's got it down pat. Any chance his size will affect him more than the average goalie e.g his knees? With how athletes tend to drop off as they hit their 30's I'm wondering if his body will physically hold up as well as a smaller goalie for instance.

Also, out of curiosity where would you rate current Markstrom compared to prime Luongo?

I'm biased. I loved Luongo since Val d'Or.

In terms of prime Luongo somehow stopping the puck any way any how, Marky can't touch him. Lu had a knack for stopping the puck. His glove is also an order of magnitude better than Marky's. But Lu's talent was built on a base that would become outdated, so he didn't have the mobility or edgework to keep his career going until Melanson got here. But to me that made him even more special! Lu was excellent on both bottom feeders (NYI, FLA) and with the Canucks as a bubble and championship team. I think that his longevity and success on several different franchise and types of teams really distinguishes him as well.

Marky is also tall and lanky and his athleticism was similar but in his early career Marky couldn't harness that wildness in his game. This season especially, Marky is much more consistent than Lu because he has a very strong technical base. We also don't know what Marky will be like in the playoffs.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Sure, we can agree on that. Difficult decisions will undoubtedly have to be made, and I feel that this will be a critical offseason for management.

There have been a number of critical offseasons now for this management.

The reprecautions of the decisions made then include the fact that we are now questioning if we can or cant afford resign our no.1 goalie.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
To a guy like myself who has little goaltending knowledge it seems as if he’s no longer trying to make saves on the puck but is instead allowing his technique to move let him allow the puck to come to him. Way less goals go through him now than a few years back as well.

Agreed. I always found like this was one of his worst flaws. He would be square to the puck and in the right position and a normal shot would just go right through him. He looks great the last couple years though.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There have been a number of critical offseasons now for this management.

The reprecautions of the decisions made then include the fact that we are now questioning if we can or cant afford resign our no.1 goalie.
It’s nuts we have to choose between signing guys who are good players, and giving up our future assets (top prospects and picks) to use as sweetener to dump bad contracts. Our owner must be pulling his hair out.

Reactions: timw33 and MarkMM

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Also played fewer games behind Miller than otherwise, so you hope his risk of hip problems is reduced/delayed, given his age.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
A lot of people are forgetting the equipment size rules affected Marky more than most if not all goalies (4" in the pants alone). He had become very solid (but still committing before the shooter) then the equipment got reduced and pucks again began to slip through. He fixed that and by November 2018 also fixed waiting for the shooter to commit. At which point he's been Vezina level since.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Dhaliwal on 1040 just now saying the Canucks can’t afford Marky or Tanev. If both those guys walk July first we are in even more trouble than I thought. This mess in our cap is 110% on JB.

Reactions: dps

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Dhaliwal on 1040 just now saying the Canucks can’t afford Marky or Tanev. If both those guys walk July first we are in even more trouble than I thought. This mess in our cap is 110% on JB.
I would rather lose Marky than Tanev
If that is what has come to, Tanev’s injury frequency has massively improved this season thanks to Quinn

Reactions: mossey3535

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

20/21 is by far the worst year for the cap issues:

Schaller will go (saving about $1M net between him and a minimum salary guy), Virtanen (+$1-1.5M), Markstrom (+$2.5M), Stecher (+$500K), Gaudette (+$500K), Tanev (+$500K) will all get raises if they stay for a total increase of around $5-6M. And that's before the bonus overages for Hughes and Petterson. It basically means that two of Tanev, Stecher, or Markstrom cannot be here next year. They wouldn't be saving enough money by getting rid of other moveable contracts.

(Caveat of course, though unlikely, is that they jettison one or more of Eriksson, Baertschi, Beagle, or Luongo recapture)

After 20/21 Sutter/Pearson/Benn/Edler/Baertschi/Spooner=$20M all coming off.
and after 21/22 Eriksson/Rousel/Beagle/Luongo recapture=$15M

That's plenty of flexibility for the signed players, the must keeps (Hughes and Pettersson), the nice to keeps (Virtanen and Gaudette)

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
So you are more willing to bet on a flukey 9 months of health then 18-24 months of insane goaltending? Interesting.

I would assume the reasoning on that is that Marky is going to cost us A LOT more than Tanev - including term. We can probably get Tanev to sign for 3 years or less. Unless Marky REALLY wants to be here that just isn't going to happen. We are looking at 4 or more likely 5 years......which makes his contract riskier.

Couple that with the fact that we have a young back up that appears poised to take over the #1 job and you have your answer. We don't have anyone in the system that looks poised to take over Tanev's job.

Tough choice but if I had to take 3 years of Tanev at 4 mill per or 5 years of Marky at 6 mill per I would def. choose Tanev.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I would rather lose Marky than Tanev
If that is what has come to, Tanev’s injury frequency has massively improved this season thanks to Quinn

Tanev walking is eh. If he's asking for more than 5.5 x 3 years I'd rather let him walk.

Markstrom not re-signing is a death blow to the next three years of playoff aspirations. That 2021 1st now owned by NJ could be a top-10 pick...

Reactions: dps and y2kcanucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad