Injury Report: Markstrom injured in practice. UPDATE: Jan 2024 - left practice, lower body DTD

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
“You don’t understand what it’s like to be a professional athlete” -man, who is also not an NHLer. This right here is a peak Internet forum post.

Who said bust? Terrible logic I know, saying if a guy isn’t better than our backup who is struggling, then he probably shouldn’t have played this year more than he has. It’s not like that means he’d by logic also struggle, and in a position that’s 80% mental that wouldn’t be a bad idea at all.

Wolf is the best goalie prospect in the NHL. He would also be the youngest goalie in the NHL, and pretty much every goalie within a year of him has been eviscerated this season. It’s ok for him to potentially not be ready. If he plays and outplays Vladar thats amazing, let him force the team’s hand to not be able to send him down. But yes, if he can’t outplay our backup who isn’t playing great, probably means he wasn’t ready this year yet. Believe it or not results in the AHL or in training camps only earn you the chance, it’s your play in the NHL that determines if you stay.

Regardless, we have the potential to see some of the best goaltending performances of the season in December, and it’s entirely based on a motivational standpoint. Vladar should know that this stretch will pretty much decide whether his tenure with the Flames (and having a guaranteed NHL job) continues, and for Wolf it means if he ever has to play an AHL game and earn an AHL salary again. Both should be highly motivated, and I wouldn’t hold a poor performance against Wolf as much but a poor showing by Vladar would speak volumes towards his career trajectory.
lol so are you saying that professional athletes aren’t proud people who are easily upset. And I did play a high level of hockey and know many people who played in the NHL. And they would be pissed if they were in Dustin’s position. Not to mention he already said he was frustrated by the decision.
This right here is a peak Internet forum post.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Gg1J8F.gif

https://imgpile.com/i/Gg1J8F

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
lol so are you saying that professional athletes aren’t proud people who are easily upset. And I did play a high level of hockey and know many people who played in the NHL. And they would be pissed if they were in Dustin’s position. Not to mention he already said he was frustrated by the decision.
I would wager atleast 20-30% people here played high end hockey considering we care about it enough to go to an online forum, and anyone who did in a metropolitan area probably knows and/or played with an NHLer or two. Yet we don’t go about pretending we have a psych degree on them. A prospect said he would’ve liked to make the team, this isn’t the news article you made it out to be, or else it’d literally be a news article instead of something mentioned in passing in a broadcast. NHLers are proud people, but they’re also rationale. By your logic there’d be 70 trade request a year by prospects.

Like seriously, “Chinakhov is unhappy” has multitude of articles and a main board thread in a Columbus market. You’re making mountains out of mole hills because you don’t get to see your favorite player.

Also I know we haven’t always seen eye to eye, but a friendly request to keep this topic to the Calgary boards? I REALLY don’t want to have to deal with incessant Oiler and Canuck fans trolling about Wolf or how Flames fans value him.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Unfortunate for Markstrom, but it’s nice to see the Flames being forced to confront several storylines head-on this season.

Playoffs are probably off the table at this point, so there won’t be much pressure on Wolf because he knows he’ll be up next year anyway.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Unfortunate for Markstrom, but it’s nice to see the Flames being forced to confront several storylines head-on this season.

Playoffs are probably off the table at this point, so there won’t be much pressure on Wolf because he knows he’ll be up next year anyway.
Wtf are you talking about the Flames are not " out by Christmas" at this point , they are climbing in fact .

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Wtf are you talking about the Flames are not " out by Christmas" at this point , they are climbing in fact .
Flames are officially done and should sell everything while they still have a shred of value after every loss, been this way since about 2018. Over the last year or so it’s after some wins as well.

It’s right there in the sites name, Hockeys’ Future. About 1/3 of the posters on this site think there’s a cup winner, 5-10 teams who are good and young, and 20-25 teams that are either rebuilding or dumb not to be rebuilding.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Sad to see Wolf go down, but he had to outplay Vladar to stay up and frankly he didn’t. Vladar definitely had the worst game, but he also had the 2 best games by far as well. Wolf will probably get some spot action for the rest of the season, but this will give him some things to work on in the hope of being a full timer next year by stealing the job from Vladar.

Just for Wolf to play as well as he did at his age shows he’s something special for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sad to see Wolf go down, but he had to outplay Vladar to stay up and frankly he didn’t. Vladar definitely had the worst game, but he also had the 2 best games by far as well. Wolf will probably get some spot action for the rest of the season, but this will give him some things to work on in the hope of being a full timer next year by stealing the job from Vladar.

Just for Wolf to play as well as he did at his age shows he’s something special for sure.
Even if he had outplayed Vladar Wolf was still going back down. The Flames aren't going to keep 3 goalies on the roster and they aren't going to waive Vladar.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Even if he had outplayed Vladar Wolf was still going back down. The Flames aren't going to keep 3 goalies on the roster and they aren't going to waive Vladar.
Pretty much. Either way hope they sort it out sooner or later, wolf has nothing left to prove in the ahl

Reactions: Fig

joescores

Mar 21, 2011

Unfortunately I am yet to see Wolf's brilliance at the NHL level. Has he been brilliant in the A? Sure. Has he been brilliant in the Show? No.

When his chance arose, he did not snatch it and you need to do it in order to stick and be given further opportunities.

I am not surprised they are moving him back to A.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Pretty much. Either way hope they sort it out sooner or later, wolf has nothing left to prove in the ahl

Yeah, that's why he's not proving anything there. He's prepping and working on small things to get ready to be full time in the NHL. If he's not full time by the TDL as the back up, he better be full time by the start of next season.

As I mentioned before, I think Flames fans are basically divided only by about half a season to about a full season as to when Wolf will be full time in the NHL (ie: Now vs TDL vs by game 80 of this season). It's not a huge difference across the board.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Wolf doesn't have anything left to prove at the NHL level. Who cares
Thats the dumbest thing I've heard about Wolf.Wolf has only played 6 games in the NHL. 6 games and you have nothing to prove? Wow.

Reactions: OILLIO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad