Injury Report: Markstrom injured in practice. UPDATE: Jan 2024 - left practice, lower body DTD

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
It was written in the books. Personally, I don't think Markstrom has been stellar. Has he been decent? Sure. Has he been amazing? No way.

So... If Wolf is this upcoming, potentially amazing guy- show us.

PS: Marky, get well soon lad.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I know everyone wants to see Wolf recalled but if Markstrom is injured for an extended period of time I'm just afraid of throwing a 22 year old rookie goalie into the deep end of the pool with Vladar as his only swimming buddy. Something like that can completely ruin his confidence and with goaltending confidence in yourself is everything.

Reactions: Felidae

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I know everyone wants to see Wolf recalled but if Markstrom is injured for an extended period of time I'm just afraid of throwing a 22 year old rookie goalie into the deep end of the pool with Vladar as his only swimming buddy. Something like that can completely ruin his confidence and with goaltending confidence in yourself is everything.

Wolf doesn't seem like the type to get ruined by something like that. I'm sure he'll be fine if that happens.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
There's always Dusty Nickel :D

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Wolf doesn't seem like the type to get ruined by something like that. I'm sure he'll be fine if that happens.
My beautiful prince should have been up with the big club all this time so he could watch Markstrom's stretching routine at least.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Nice to see Valji graduated with top honours from the Kevin Weekes' School of Tweeting.

I'm just afraid of throwing a 22 year old rookie goalie into the deep end of the pool with Vladar as his only swimming buddy.

Wolf:

giphy.gif

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Terrible for Markstrom, excellent for the Flames, Vladar, and Wolf.

This always seems to be a hard to understand concept but injuries are a critical part of talent development. And the easiest and best way for prospects to get playing time comes from established players getting injured. Why the best? Because injured players will usually come back while trades are a little more final. Trading one of Vladar or Markstrom is a scenario where Wolf would have had to sink or swim; but in this case, regardless of how he does, he'll be sent down when Markstrom's healthy. Assuming of course that Markstrom's actually going to be out for any length of time.

For some totally "mysterious" and I'm sure entirely unrelated reason, the Flames tend to have less injuries when there's a Sutter around. But with that wart cleared up, the organization's back to being like any other organization, which is to say, players getting injured and prospects getting much needed opportunities to actually develop in the NHL. And an opportunity for Vladar to showcase himself as a potential starter for not only other teams around the league, but the Flames as well.

Hope it's nothing too serious with Markstrom but this really is exactly what Wolf, Vladar, and the Flames needed.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Would be a perfect time to scrounge up some shlub somewhere rather than bring up Wolf who've been dying to see get a chance over a long stretch because . . . Of reasons . . . And to frustrate the f*** out of the Flam fanbase.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Markstrom should take this time off to really reflect, and come to the conclusion on his own that he doesn't want to block Wolf's ascendance any longer. Take a step away to spend time with family, and perhaps contract terminate, or ask for a trade. My sweet, precious boy will be the number 1.

Reactions: Anglesmith

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Markstrom should take this time off to really reflect, and come to the conclusion on his own that he doesn't want to block Wolf's ascendance any longer. Take a step away to spend time with family, and perhaps contract terminate, or ask for a trade. My sweet, precious boy will be the number 1.
Agreed. No spaghettification of people's words here at all either.

Anyways, this is a good opportunity to give him some damn needed NHL playing time.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Agreed. No spaghettification of people's words here at all either.

Anyways, this is a good opportunity to give him some damn needed NHL playing time.
Not sure what spaghettiification means. These are my words. Ever since I found the babe, skin white as snow, hair, danger orange, in the woods, and had him raised in a goalie academy, I've waited for this day.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Not sure what spaghettiification means. These are my words. Ever since I found the babe, skin white as snow, hair, danger orange, in the woods, and had him raised in a goalie academy, I've waited for this day.
Didn’t know Plato had goalies in his academy.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Well this stretch should be the deciding factor for if Wolf deserves time in the NHL this season. Vladar has been bad this year save for one game, if Wolf can’t steal atleast a split time role while outplaying Vladar, it’s laid out for everyone. Good news is he shouldn’t have to wait long to get his first game. Calgary has 3 games in 6 nights then a back to back. Guarantees him a start in the next 5 while most likely getting 2 starts.

Vladar really shouldn’t be a hard guy to significantly out play, but Wolf is extremely young by NHL goalie standards.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Well this stretch should be the deciding factor for if Wolf deserves time in the NHL this season. Vladar has been bad this year save for one game, if Wolf can’t steal atleast a split time role while outplaying Vladar, it’s laid out for everyone. Good news is he shouldn’t have to wait long to get his first game. Calgary has 3 games in 6 nights then a back to back. Guarantees him a start in the next 5 while most likely getting 2 starts.

Vladar really shouldn’t be a hard guy to significantly out play, but Wolf is extremely young by NHL goalie standards.
I mean, if he can get over the grave insult of not starting tonight. I hope he doesn't ask for a trade.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I mean, if he can get over the grave insult of not starting tonight. I hope he doesn't ask for a trade.
You don’t understand what it is to be a professional athlete. These guys dedicate their whole lives to being NHL players.

Markstrom and Vladar were horrendous last year and Wolf never got a shot despite being the best goalie not in the NHL in back to back seasons.

We can hope they are all perfect humans who are okay with being shelved despite being ready. The reality is often not that case. He’s deserved a shot that has never came. That kind of thing pisses people off.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

Terrible logic. It's like all the folks who were saying that if Zary couldn't make the team or beat out Hunt/Schwindt in training camp, he's a bust.

If the Flames are approaching Wolf's development with that point of view, it would go a long, long, loooooooooooooong way in explaining why they've haven't been able to develop a single viable NHL starter in the last 30 or whatever years.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
You don’t understand what it is to be a professional athlete. These guys dedicate their whole lives to being NHL players.

Markstrom and Vladar were horrendous last year and Wolf never got a shot despite being the best goalie not in the NHL in back to back seasons.

We can hope they are all perfect humans who are okay with being shelved despite being ready. The reality is often not that case. He’s deserved a shot that has never came. That kind of thing pisses people off.
“You don’t understand what it’s like to be a professional athlete” -man, who is also not an NHLer. This right here is a peak Internet forum post.
Terrible logic. It's like all the folks who were saying that if Zary couldn't make the team or beat out Hunt/Schwindt in training camp, he's a bust.

If the Flames are approaching Wolf's development with that point of view, it would go a long, long, loooooooooooooong way in explaining why they've haven't been able to develop a single viable NHL starter in the last 30 or whatever years.
Who said bust? Terrible logic I know, saying if a guy isn’t better than our backup who is struggling, then he probably shouldn’t have played this year more than he has. It’s not like that means he’d by logic also struggle, and in a position that’s 80% mental that wouldn’t be a bad idea at all.

Wolf is the best goalie prospect in the NHL. He would also be the youngest goalie in the NHL, and pretty much every goalie within a year of him has been eviscerated this season. It’s ok for him to potentially not be ready. If he plays and outplays Vladar thats amazing, let him force the team’s hand to not be able to send him down. But yes, if he can’t outplay our backup who isn’t playing great, probably means he wasn’t ready this year yet. Believe it or not results in the AHL or in training camps only earn you the chance, it’s your play in the NHL that determines if you stay.

Regardless, we have the potential to see some of the best goaltending performances of the season in December, and it’s entirely based on a motivational standpoint. Vladar should know that this stretch will pretty much decide whether his tenure with the Flames (and having a guaranteed NHL job) continues, and for Wolf it means if he ever has to play an AHL game and earn an AHL salary again. Both should be highly motivated, and I wouldn’t hold a poor performance against Wolf as much but a poor showing by Vladar would speak volumes towards his career trajectory.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

I also hope he didn't see any of the blood on the ice after Markstrom got injured. That kind of thing could rattle him ahead of his ascension, and I don't want anything distracting him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad