McKenzie: Markstrom and Canucks don't seem like they're close

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Because as some of their fans would say, they have a great improved GM now. In reality he should've been fired 3 years ago.

He has improved, and he should still be fired. We do have a new AGM specializing in the financial side of the game, so that might help here. Even his draft successes came because of Judd and Gradin, and the fact Hughes freefell (freefalled?) at the draft.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
It's not that I don't mind a team paying their goaltender, but moreso that the teams that pay them a lot and/or for a long time almost always regret it.
Goaltending is just too inconsistent. I think the Canucks are right to sign Markstrom short-term, once they have a clearer perspective of their salary situation.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
How did the Nucks amass so many bad contracts?

Ericksson
Sutter
Beagle
Baertschi
Roussel
Myers
Luongo recapture

Sutter isnt good but isn't all that terrible, Baertschi was fine until he had a ton of injuries and concussions that put his career into question and made any team hesitant to pick him up, Roussel is good. Myers would be okay for now if they weren't already in such a rough spot. Beagle and Eriksson are the two horrible f*** ups that they're really suffering from. That and the Luongo recapture which there isn't much they can do about.

They honestly really shouldn't have signed Myers. It's not even close to their worst contract but it comes at such a huge cost given their already poor situation in pushing them against the cap that I don't understand how they thought it was a good idea.

Last edited:

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
We should. But not on a long term deal. That ALWAYS backfires with goaltending. Eg: Luongo, Price, Jones Etc etc
Ya, it's not so much that Markstrom himself shouldnt be paid that much, its that no goalie should. I mean, we literally just saw Bob sign that albatross contract and immediately fall out of form. It's not that they dont deserve it, as their importance and play definitely beget that money, it's just that there is literally zero certainty when it comes to goalies from season to season, and handcuffing yourself to one to the tune of term and cap just isn't smart. The only goalie I would pay the kind of money goalies like Price and Bob are getting nowadays are the all-time greats like Roy and Hasek that you could count on to dominate every year that they were between the pipes

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Ya, it's not so much that Markstrom himself shouldnt be paid that much, its that no goalie should. I mean, we literally just saw Bob sign that albatross contract and immediately fall out of form. It's not that they dont deserve it, as their importance and play definitely beget that money, it's just that there is literally zero certainty when it comes to goalies from season to season, and handcuffing yourself to one to the tune of term and cap just isn't smart. The only goalie I would pay the kind of money goalies like Price and Bob are getting nowadays are the all-time greats like Roy and Hasek that you could count on to dominate every year that they were between the pipes
Exactly. Very well written!

Reactions: Svencouver

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
This is what happens when you pay 4 players 40 million in cap space! You can't fill out the rest of the roster with depth players making 700 K and expect to win a round in the playoffs!
Opps sorry wrong Canadian team with a touchy fan base.
Markstrom will get paid. 6yr for 6 mil. either in Vancouver or elsewhere. A team like Carolina has to be watching how this all unfolds. They have 6 million in cap space freeing up this year after purchasing a first round draft pick.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
This is what happens when you pay 4 players 40 million in cap space! You can't fill out the rest of the roster with depth players making 700 K and expect to win a round in the playoffs!
Opps sorry wrong Canadian team with a touchy fan base.
Markstrom will get paid. 6yr for 6 mil. either in Vancouver or elsewhere. A team like Carolina has to be watching how this all unfolds. They have 6 million in cap space freeing up this year after purchasing a first round draft pick.
Worse comes to worse he walks and we run Demko-Random veteran and then Demko-Dipietro the year after. We’re set in net for awhile. Of course we want Marky locked up long term, but if the contract doesn’t make sense, move on. Just like we should have moved on when Eriksson, Beagle, Sbisa Etc wanted their contracts.

Reactions: Canucks5551

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver
He has improved, and he should still be fired. We do have a new AGM specializing in the financial side of the game, so that might help here. Even his draft successes came because of Judd and Gradin, and the fact Hughes freefell (freefalled?) at the draft.

I never understood why people have it both ways; they call Benning an idiot for drafting Juolevi and Virtanen (who now is starting to do well, so is that no longer 'his pick'?) but then praise everyone else for picks that pan out. We have zero evidence of Judd, or Jim, or anyone for that matter going onto the draft floor slamming their fist down and screaming "YOU WILL PICK MY PLAYER". The truth is MOST picks are done by committee, so everyone should share in success and blame of prospects.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Sutter isnt good but isn't all that terrible, Baertschi was fine until he had a ton of injuries and concussions that put his career into question and made any team hesitant to pick him up, Roussel is good. Myers would be okay for now if they weren't already in such a rough spot. Beagle and Eriksson are the two horrible **** ups that they're really suffering from. That and the Luongo recapture which there isn't much they can do about.

They honestly really shouldn't have signed Myers. It's not even close to their worst contract but it comes at such a huge cost given their already poor situation in pushing them against the cap that I don't understand how they thought it was a good idea.

No the biggest screw up last summer who's missing from that list was signing Michael Ferland to a 4 year deal. At least we needed a dman and Myers has played, but Ferland was completely redundant and injury risk waiting to happen and is likely going to cost the Canucks this summer.

Benning has a guy in place negotiating better contract but he still shows no ability to plan ahead.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
Heh, all the Nucks fans claiming he is elite and top 5, well then pay up! :laugh:
If he was a bit younger I think nobody would argue paying him the sums mentioned. But just being elite and/or top 5 right now means nothing regarding his play when he's 35 or whatever.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'd be good with the Canes offering Markstrom $6 million x 4-5 years. Replace Marleau's dead cap with a functioning #1 goalie.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
How did the Nucks amass so many bad contracts?

Ericksson
Sutter
Beagle
Baertschi
Roussel
Myers
Luongo recapture

Take out Roussel and replace him with Ferland. It really is insane how people will still defend Benning after the mess he's made with our cap situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad