Confirmed with Link: Markov Re-signs 5.75m/3 years

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Sometimes people here seem to think that this is an EA Sports video game they're playing, where you trade players back and forth nonchalantly. Markov is devoted to the team, the city and puts in an extraordinary effort, not to mention having recovered and fought his way back from two devastating injuries. If you DON'T resign a guy like that on decent terms, you're sending a message to the entire team that loyalty is strictly a one-way street, and that nothing matters but the money. This is one of the smarter contracts MB has made, if only because it says clearly that first-class players who play in a first class manner can expect to spend their entire careers with the Montreal Canadiens. Teams need cohesion and unity and a sense that effort made will be rewarded. This helps.

Plus to replace Markov adequately would have cost around 6.5 mil and the trading away of valuable assets.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Maybe we already have cap space set aside for Subban? I just don't understand the logic behind bashing Markov for taking his third hometown discount in a row. Markov guaranteed would have gotten more than 5.75 on the open market the last three contracts his signed with us. The guy loves playing here and does what he's told. The new GM/coach came in and said we needed to get tougher and more physical and Markov became the meanest guy our blue line. Only a Pejorative Slur would think one year at 38 years old and 5.75 cap hit is going to cripple us. Not flaming it's the truth.

With the new CBA, 35+ contracts are not as crippling...you can retain salary and trade a guy, plus as we saw with Thomas, if he retires early we can trade him to a cap floor team. Not ideal but not a big deal either.

He takes up 8% of the cap and that number will surely decline to 7% or maybe less in the next 2-3 years.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
The whole defense would have looked a lot better with Price back there instead of Tokarski, mostly due to his puckhandling, which helps neutralize the forecheck.

Keep believing that. I really hope bergy doesn't think that way. The D needs to be improved upon with or without price.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Like most, I would have much preferred a 2 year deal, but I guess we'll worry about that 2 years from now. I'm sure he would have gotten 3 years on the open market. For now, we need him. We have nobody that's ready to step in at the moment, but Beaulieu and Tinordi should be gradually playing more games.

I'm sure they'll adjust his playing time and keep him closer to 18-20 minutes a game.

Happy Markov will retire as a hab..Who was the last Canadiens player to play his whole career in Montreal?

Matteus

May 11, 2009
Sometimes people here seem to think that this is an EA Sports video game they're playing, where you trade players back and forth nonchalantly. Markov is devoted to the team, the city and puts in an extraordinary effort, not to mention having recovered and fought his way back from two devastating injuries. If you DON'T resign a guy like that on decent terms, you're sending a message to the entire team that loyalty is strictly a one-way street, and that nothing matters but the money. This is one of the smarter contracts MB has made, if only because it says clearly that first-class players who play in a first class manner can expect to spend their entire careers with the Montreal Canadiens. Teams need cohesion and unity and a sense that effort made will be rewarded. This helps.

This is so true! A lot of people here seem to think a GM has nothing more to factor in than if he were trading hockey cards.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Like most, I would have much preferred a 2 year deal, but I guess we'll worry about that 2 years from now. I'm sure he would have gotten 3 years on the open market. For now, we need him. We have nobody that's ready to step in at the moment, but Beaulieu and Tinordi should be gradually playing more games.

I'm sure they'll adjust his playing time and keep him closer to 18-20 minutes a game.

Happy Markov will retire as a hab..Who was the last Canadiens player to play his whole career in Montreal?

Mario Tremblay.

habscup*

Keep believing that. I really hope bergy doesn't think that way. The D needs to be improved upon with or without price.

It's not a belief, its fact. Note how much better we were defensively vs Tampa and Boston. Hint: Price was in net.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

Why can't it be both?

The defense is much better with Price in net handling the puck, but at the same time it needs to be improved.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
the only way we lose markov is through injury. his play is fine and if we lose him to injury we've got the players to step up, this time around.

this is a great deal....don't be silly, because of his past injuries. it will not hurt as much this time, if at all

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Why can't it be both?

The defense is much better with Price in net handling the puck, but at the same time it needs to be improved.

The best way to improve the defense is to keep developing Tinordi and Beaulieu, not investing #2 money into another #4 d-man in Niskanen(or whoever else gets a bloated UFA contract). Teams that have stud d-men are not going to give them away.

I think the defense is fine for now, it's depth up front that needs upgrading. I think that's a possibility in the UFA market as wing is the deepest position with Iginla Gaborik Vanek Jokinen Vrbata Moulson Hemsky Raymond Cammalleri Michalek Alfredsson and Callahan all potential top 6 wingers. Kulemin could be a 2nd/3rd line option.

At center it's just Stastny Richards and Legwand. So not very strong or deep.

Ideally a UFA winger would be shorter term like Iginla Jokinen or Vrbata 2-4 years.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
the only way we lose markov is through injury. his play is fine and if we lose him to injury we've got the players to step up, this time around.

this is a great deal....don't be silly, because of his past injuries. it will not hurt as much this time, if at all

Plus if he gets hurt you can use LTIR so that's not a huge risk even for a 35+.

Retirement is a risk, but as we saw with Thomas, cap floor teams may want a player to get to the floor.

GaineysRightHandMan

Jul 28, 2005
Why does everyone think Markov will be slower at age 39? I really don't get it. Speaking about general athletics, well past 40 is when people start to slow down and a lot of people still get faster until 45. I don't know why it would be any different with skating. I am 40 years old - I play hockey and am a competitive runner and know from experience that you don't slow down in your late 30s. Maybe if you slack in your training, you can slow down in late 30s. Can't we just send him to Gary Roberts summer camp next year, haha??? Didn't Chelios do quite well right until age 44?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Why does everyone think Markov will be slower at age 39? I really don't get it. Speaking about general athletics, well past 40 is when people start to slow down and a lot of people still get faster until 45. I don't know why it would be any different with skating. I am 40 years old - I play hockey and am a competitive runner and know from experience that you don't slow down in your late 30s. Maybe if you slack in your training, you can slow down in late 30s. Can't we just send him to Gary Roberts summer camp next year, haha??? Didn't Chelios do quite well right until age 44?

Markov lost a step due to all the ACL surgeries, but I found he was moving better this year than last year. He definitely doesn't have GREAT mobility, but plenty to get by.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

I honestly think the decline that tends to hit players in their mid-30's is more mental than physical. I think playing 10-15 years of hockey in this league will wear on you and your willingness to make the same sacrifices you may have in your mid-20's starts to decline. At that point you have already made your money and your reputation. Not only that but you've played so many games that it might not seem like a big deal to take a shift or a game off here or there. I think this is what is happening to Lecavalier for example.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke · 5m
Dreger on TSN Radio (last night) "I think the Markov deal for Mon is a worthwhile gamble"

Dreger "I watched Markov very closely through the 3 rounds of the playoffs this year. He still has a lot of game left"

Dreger "you're looking at a term that doesn't buckle you & you're looking at a financial statement that's less than Markov was looking for"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke · 4m
Dreger "the reality is, that's the going rate. Dan Boyle may be the happiest guy next to Markov bc Markov is no longer a potential UFA"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke · 4m
Dreger "some of the interest that was going towards Markov will now shift to Dan Boyle"

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Markov's deal makes it a lot easier to move him if he no longer fits in 1-2 years...

Christopher ‏@HabsTalk11 · 41s
Andrei Markov's contract breakdown: $7M with full NTC in 2014-15.
$6M with limited NTC in 2015-16.
$4.25M with limited NTC in 2016-17.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Markov's deal makes it a lot easier to move him if he no longer fits in 1-2 years...

Christopher ‏@HabsTalk11 · 41s
Andrei Markov's contract breakdown: $7M with full NTC in 2014-15.
$6M with limited NTC in 2015-16.
$4.25M with limited NTC in 2016-17.

A team like Ottawa or Florida may be interested in Markov in year 3. 5.75 cap hit to help them get to the floor, but only actually spending 4.25 on him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad