Confirmed with Link: Markov Re-signs 5.75m/3 years

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
That's a great article, though I am waiting for W7 to skewer Stubbs for another puff piece.

The greatest player during a losing era, I hope the team finds success during his remaining time here.

I really hope the detractors just keep their thoughts to themselves, this guy is one of the gems found by this organization. He breaks all the moulds and stereotypes about players and especially Russian players. Fast forward 20 years and I guarantee there will be a fan movement to have his jersey retired.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Type of veteran you want to keep here. As good as it would be to grab a great return from Plekanec, I hope he can retire here as well. Too bad we screwed up with Koivu.

It was funny when he apologized for not showing up at the end of season scrums, that he wasn't there because he didn't know how to answer questions about his next contract.

Also, what jumped at me was how he genuinely seemed to not have considered leaving at all. Even when faced with the prospect of a 2 year contract, you can see he didn't want to answer that but you just know that Markov is a conservative guy who is more scared of what he could lose than excited about what he could gain if he had to change teams. I think we could have forced a 2 year deal, but I'm convinced that he'll be quality player for the next 3 years still so might as well have a happy Markov.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
The fact he signed before the June 25th deadline that other teams could contact UFA's to "discuss" their interest is a good indication he really wanted to stay in Montreal... and I'm pretty sure we got a discount.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The fact he signed before the June 25th deadline that other teams could contact UFA's to "discuss" their interest is a good indication he really wanted to stay in Montreal... and I'm pretty sure we got a discount.

If Niskanen is worth anything close to 7 years at 5.5+ AAV, then Markov could have gotten 3-4 years at 6-6.5 mil AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad