Mark Walter Group and Billy Jean King Enterprises purchases Premier Hockey Federation

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
So this sounds like a bit of a cluster but if the PHF was on the verge of bankruptcy I’m not sure what the better alternative that these people who covered the league think was going to be available

It sucks but sounds like a shitty situation all around in the short term

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Per THN's Ian Kennedy:

Nothing is official until it's been announced...but damn, this would suck in so many ways. How is Boston not part of the plan? Boston is a women's hockey hotbed.

And since I'm the Beauts PA & DJ . . . it looks like the writing's on the wall.

Oh, goodie, just like last time. Maybe they'll throw in a Chinese team and it'll flop like before.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, it's just I'm not happy with the buyout. Other than my regular complaints about a certain team in the league that I stopped doing, I was pretty pro-PHF.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Jeff has been following and has a lot of tweets. In the second hour of his radio show (available on podcast) he discusses situation

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
The more I read and listen about it, the more it looks like the PWHPA was about to start its league proper anyway. You don't write a 65-page CBA overnight.

The guys running felt they weren't going to be able to compete with it in terms of star power and finances and decided to cash in before it was too late. The fact that they kept teams and players in the complete dark is quite crazy.

Like I said before, players are getting something in the end. Not much but more than the absolute nothing they would have gotten if the league had folded on its own. For the ones who went out of their way to get a spot on a team, it will forever feel being spat in the face. That is undeniable.

But the PHF front office has as much, if not more in the end, responsibility for it.

I am not happy with all of this but it is the way it is now. Hopefully that new league will grow to bring a good few of the players back on the ice and grow the sport.

Reactions: cptjeff and Roadhog

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
I have mixed feelings about this news On one hand happy to have one league of the best of the best On the other hand sad that so many players will be out of work

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I wonder how interested in expansion they would be.

It's worthwhile to note that Mark Walter Group is also the big piece of Guggenheim Partners, who own the Los Angeles Dodgers; and Walter Group owns the WNBA LA Sparks.

So this is a group invested big in sports; and if he's in for a women's hockey league that could have other ramifications... Does he want an LA, Anaheim, San Diego division in the women's hockey league? Does he want to own a San Diego NHL team? Etc, etc.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Women's professional hockey is a constant disaster and gong show.

Hockey fans who don't loudly vocally support women's hockey are ridiculed, chastised, and sneered at. But it's just one fire after another and requires a a completely unreasonable amount of attention and patience to be a fan of. It's not getting better, it's only getting worse. I feel for these women. They don't deserve this crap. But neither do hockey fans who throw up their hands and move on from caring about it.

Reactions: Voight

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
I know. I guess I was expecting more some euro players to get back first than a NCAA second liner.

The euro stars of PHF is better than a NCAA second liner.

In other news:

The overloards of the PHWPA is cleaning out the remaining traces of the PHF!

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Hockey fans who don't loudly vocally support women's hockey are ridiculed, chastised, and sneered at.

Where does this come from? Like, I've heard posters saying this kind of thing in threads about women's hockey, and the WNBA, and any women's NCAA convos. But I've never actually seen it take place in reality.

(Well, Geno Auriemma does it. He's a PR master at inventing a perceived slight to rant against.... so he gets ESPN airtime and more people discussing a team).

Women's sports are going to get more and more media coverage because of what I said in the RSN and Iger threads: The sports media business is ripe for manipulating the value of properties. Instead of purchasing the rights to a league with medium popularity at half the ratings of a popular property... purchase the rights to a low-popularity league at tiny, bargain price... and promote the hell out of it. By doing so, you can get the "reward" of a big time league at small-time prices.

I don't understand people criticizing the fandom of women's sports with comments like the one I quoted as if it's any different than any other form of advertising.

Old Spice is on your TV, computer or phone in between your shows/games telling you that you don't smell manly enough if you're not buying their deodorant. You see right through THAT, but "you don't love hockey enough if you're not supporting women's hockey" is the exact same thing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad