Mark Walter Group and Billy Jean King Enterprises purchases Premier Hockey Federation

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
If you cant get your own league, cant win the negotiations, have nothing to bring to the table - lets buy your opponent and ruin everything they built, classy move!

Hillary Knight called the PHF a garage league she should never be allowed to take part in a merged league or come near anywhere PHF players or take part in anything the PHF have built. The primadonnas of the PWHPA shall be banned from the league first 5 years of its existence!

Long live the PHF, death to the tyrants of the PWHPA!

Last edited:
Reactions: joelef

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Theirs is a lot of bad feelings here, and rightfully so. First off, it is not good that nobody knew what was going on, and nobody ever seems to when it’s coming.

Both sides wanted someone with the money to show up. It was a war that one league was always going to win decisively, but a result both league insisted on happening, and these were always going to be part of the consequences.

That said, they couldn’t move forward with such confusion in the marketplace. This was always going to come, just wish it didn’t take this long before both sides had to be so dug in. It will be better to move forward though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The terms that are being uncovered are quite unscrupulous. I don’t know that it’s unexpected though, just very raw emotions about people who seem are poised to be left out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Some people just not gonna want to hear that right now.

Even though it’s true.

Like i know people are worried about some of these players not having spots, I just don’t believe they’re going to be left out in the cold when the dust settles.

Reactions: red devil

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Some people just not gonna want to hear that right now.

Even though it’s true.

Like i know people are worried about some of these players not having spots, I just don’t believe they’re going to be left out in the cold when the dust settles.

I believe in the long term it will help the women's game as the NHL can now align itself with one league instead of staying on the sidelines when the two sides where competing against each other. The 2 leagues were suppose to combine for 11 - 13 teams next year but now only 6 teams are confirmed. Will their be more teams that will enter the league by the time the league starts up is yet to be determined. At the moment about half of the women who thought they would be playing professionally won't be playing.

Does the PWHPA actually have a players union because their isn't any public records on US Dept of Labor.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I believe in the long term it will help the women's game as the NHL can now align itself with one league instead of staying on the sidelines when the two sides where competing against each other. The 2 leagues were suppose to combine for 11 - 13 teams next year but now only 6 teams are confirmed. Will their be more teams that will enter the league by the time the league starts up is yet to be determined. At the moment about half of the women who thought they would be playing professionally won't be playing.

Does the PHWPA actually have a players union because their isn't any public records on US Dept of Labor.

I guess someone will have to find it. Apparently the PHF players have to sign no competes even if their contracts are terminated? I guess so they don’t try to start another league from scratch?

As I type this, they’re getting a severance and benefits.

Reactions: red devil

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
I guess someone will have to find it. Apparently the PHF players have to sign no competes even if their contracts are terminated? I guess so they don’t try to start another league from scratch?

As I type this, they’re getting a severance and benefits.

Their contracts have non compete clauses where they can't even play hockey any where else.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
It’s very pro-wrestling of them. They can’t not let them play hockey forever though.
It is like pro-wrestling and my complete guess would be around 2 years with the tweet saying lengthy period of time.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Well i would assume most euro players that don't getting picked up will go back to Europe...

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
It was inevitable that eventually there would be a single league.

Finally can get things rolling in the same direction now.

What a utter shambolic turn of events!

Why would the PHF players welcome the PWHPA players with open arms?

Great way to go into the same direction when a gangster mob of spoiled primadonnas have bought and ruined everything you worked for, for so many years through blood and sweat. I could see there being an enormous divide.

This was the masterplan of the PWHPA? To come in and steal their peers job by buying their league and taking over it, forcing themselves in it after repeatedly calling it a garage league and things to that degree? This must be one of the most classless moves ever done by any org and its members.

I have lost much respect for the players in the PWHPA that green-lighted and carefully planned this coup when they failed for years to get their own league they bragged so much of getting.

I am definitely done supporting and watching this takeover elitist league by blood hungry, egoistic and entitled USA and Canada national team players.

I supported the PHF, but I will move on elsewhere now and stick to the SDHL and NCAA for womens hockey! Maybe in 10-15 years when most of this bunch of spoiled brat PWHPA players have retired I can enjoy it again!

Sorry for the rant, but I am just being real here!

Last edited:
Reactions: rsteen

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Per THN's Ian Kennedy:

Nothing is official until it's been announced...but damn, this would suck in so many ways. How is Boston not part of the plan? Boston is a women's hockey hotbed.

And since I'm the Beauts PA & DJ . . . it looks like the writing's on the wall.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
What a utter shambolic turn of events!

Why would the PHF players welcome the PWHPA players with open arms?

Great way to go into the same direction when a gangster mob of spoiled primadonnas have bought and ruined everything you worked for, for so many years through blood and sweat. I could see there being an enormous divide.

This was the masterplan of the PWHPA? To come in and steal their peers job by buying their league and taking over it, forcing themselves in it after repeatedly calling it a garage league and things to that degree? This must be one of the most classless moves ever done by any org and its members.

I have lost much respect for the players in the PWHPA that green-lighted and carefully planned this coup when they failed for years to get their own league they bragged so much of getting.

I am definitely done supporting and watching this takeover elitist league by blood hungry, egoistic and entitled USA and Canada national team players.

I supported the PHF, but I will move on elsewhere now and stick to the SDHL and NCAA for womens hockey! Maybe in 10-15 years when most of this bunch of spoiled brat PWHPA players have retired I can enjoy it again!

Sorry for the rant, but I am just being real here!
I understand your frustration but things could have been way worse.

Considering players' contracts were "at will", the PHF could have easily broken them right before declaring bankruptcy, if indeed it was the stage they were at, then the players would have been left with nothing and no league to potentially get back to. This way, they are getting a severance package and health benefits and there will be able to hopefully join in the future.

That the PWHPA prioritise its own players is only logical. An 11-team pro league is just fantasy at the moment. The NWHL/PHF was the third attempt after the old NWHL the CWHL. It did add a few bricks to the wall but, like the others, it was held back by the usual lack of interest from the wider public and, consequently, the lack of funds. And without the star players, it just couldn't grow much more.

I wish too things would have turned out differently but it is not. I just know that boycotting the new league won't help. And if fans of the women's game turn against it, it will only contribute to its failure and keep the sport in the realm of amateurism and only a handful of players receiving subsidies from Hockey Canada and USA Hockey as NT members.

Reactions: Voight and Roadhog

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Per THN's Ian Kennedy:

Nothing is official until it's been announced...but damn, this would suck in so many ways. How is Boston not part of the plan? Boston is a women's hockey hotbed.

No Boston? That's a surprise. But considering all the NCAA teams in the area, maybe not so much.

But with that logic, Minnesota should be at risk as well so what options would left?

If Toronto and Montréal are staying around, where would the third Canadian team? Calgary? But that would be possible only if Minnesota is still around. Still, it would keep travel costs pretty high for a 6-team league...

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Per THN's Ian Kennedy:

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they change their mind, or come back to Buffalo soon.

I'll be honest, I would have thought Boston would have been the 4th team in, behind Toronto, Montreal, and New York. It just makes so much sense. I've not been following the women's game, because I don't have a rooting interest in any of the teams, but was hoping for a team in Philadelphia sooner rather than later. This may, in the extreme long term, be good for the game, but right now, it feels like yet another case of the major players whipping out pistols and taking deliberate aim at their feet. I hope I'm wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad