Prospect Info: Mark Stone

source

Jul 13, 2008
I agree about the outside help. I don't mean trade a good prospect or a top pick.

It's just every year i see a decent 2nd/3rd line player traded for like a 4th-5th rounder because there isn't much demand. I wouldn't mind making a deal like that to get a proven 40 point player(you know, those tweener not good enough to be in the top 6, but not physical enough to be in the bottom 6...but older and proven)...Kind of like a smolinski when he came here. But on the last year of his contract.

Just someone who's proven to get 0.5ppg, that goes for a late pick because the team he's on is missing the playoffs and they don't want to lose him for nothing.

Another example, is we got rid of 0.5ppg kovalev for a conditional 7th.

Obviously i don't want kovalev...but we could use some 30 year old 40 point guy to just ease pressure off having to play with half our roster being rookies and being overwhelmed which may stunt their growth.

Name one who could be had for a 5th rounder.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Well I'm done here. Show me where I said stone is going to make an instant impact. I said its not going to hurt to try.

Have fun

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I agree thing is we have to try something..If Murray wont pull the trigger on a deal then we have to try other options like Stone.

I for one dont think scoring a goal a game is good for the kids developement...If we go in a funk it makes it worse.

Its a rebuilding team i get that but i rather pick up scabs from the waiver wire and let our kids develope properly in a winning enviroment in Bingo and get a top 5 pick.

I appreciate your opinion on what may or may not be a healthy development environment.

However this team isn't losing more than it wins.They have one of the best home records and are generally competitive every night.

Scoring goals and their road record are the concerns.

IMO adding scabs won't fix these issues and may cause more frustration amongst the prospects than the lack of goal scoring.

The Sens have 12 players 24 or younger on the roster and a few other that are 26 but still have 2 years or less NHL experience.

This is a very young team and inexperienced team, I'm not convinced 22 games is enough to suggest these young guys aren't developing nor will they get better individually and as a team going forward.

Regarding a top five pick, isn't going to happen unless Murray gets rid of his goaltending and fills the team with scabs.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I agree with this...So what your saying its all on Murray.

Stone should be in the A so should Zibby hell even Silf they dont have the support of a Spezza or Karlsson..

Before the season started we needed a top 6 forward and a top 4 d-man..Whats changed? Injuries maybe..But if your Murray you still need to do something to help and support the future..

Murray probably would have tried to add a top six guy had Spezza not gone down.

It seems people just can't accept replacing Spezza was impossible, so he did the only smart thing, call up the kids and see how they perform. So far it hasn't been the disaster some are suggesting.

The difference between Zib, Silf and Stone will be obvious when you see Stone with the Sens. He is a very smart player, however his weaknesses are going to make it very difficult for him right now.

Murray doesn't need to add anything now. He has the balance of this season to evaluate the team and prospects, then see what he can add via free agency or trade.

I know I am repeating myself, but there is just no way for Murray to replace what the team has lost through injury.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I don't think Stone is going to have too much of an impact in the NHL with all the injuries. He isn't fast enough to create separation in the NHL, much like Silfverberg. He needs skill around him to be effective.

Berserker*

I don't think Stone is going to have too much of an impact in the NHL with all the injuries. He isn't fast enough to create separation in the NHL, much like Silfverberg. He needs skill around him to be effective.

He's a better play maker than pretty much everybody on the current roster not named Alfredsson. He would still likely go through an adjustment period but he would definitely be creating scoring chances.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The difference between Zib, Silf and Stone will be obvious when you see Stone with the Sens. He is a very smart player, however his weaknesses are going to make it very difficult for him right now.

Personally I don't think Stone will look out of place, at least no more than Silf or Zib, especially once he has 10-15 games under his belt.

I think he has a much better hockey IQ and better hands than either of those guys plus he is used to the smaller ice and more physical play.

Give him a few games in the A to get his legs back and then see if he can do anything with Turris and Alfie and/or on the power play.

I am looking forward to seeing him play in the NHL and I think it is very disappointing that both Petersson and Hoffman won't be given an opportunity due to injury.

Also wouldn't mind seeing Jessiman called up just to see how he used his frame in the NHL.

R2010

May 23, 2011
I would call him up just to put him on our powerplay (Stone). Just use him heavily in offensive zone starts where his IQ is useful. Mark Stone is a Gamer he'll be fine.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I actually would think Stone would be ok up.

I don't think he's going to create a tonne of offense though. But he could be someone to just get those dirty goals. He gets in the face of other teams, and gets into those dirty areas. He's quite good along the boards, and quite good at screening the goalies.

But at the same time, I'm not opposed to him getting a bit back into shape in the AHL and going from there. Either way, he will be playing. I don't think calling him up and seeing would be a mistake though -- as he can always be sent back down. And you always have a chance that he clicks with someone.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I actually would think Stone would be ok up.

I don't think he's going to create a tonne of offense though. But he could be someone to just get those dirty goals. He gets in the face of other teams, and gets into those dirty areas. He's quite good along the boards, and quite good at screening the goalies.

But at the same time, I'm not opposed to him getting a bit back into shape in the AHL and going from there. Either way, he will be playing. I don't think calling him up and seeing would be a mistake though -- as he can always be sent back down. And you always have a chance that he clicks with someone.

He's a fantastic passer, too. Not that it would do much good when nobody else on the team can score these days. He makes quick, smart decisions with and without the puck to keep offensive pressure on.

I would hope he's been working on his top-end speed while letting his thumb heal.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
^ agreed I just hope that if he gets goal opportunities he can finish. There's a lot of wasted chances lately and I'm not a negative one here on rhis team reallt happy actually, but it would be nice to have a guy like him( and I know juniors way different) that has experience scoring goals making the most of those chances.. If he gets any.

Bazel5

Apr 4, 2011
He was good enough for Game 6 of the playoffs against Rangers on a relatively healthy lineup.

He is good enough now.

SNAPshot

Jul 18, 2006
OTTAWA
I still think he will get his 5 games down in the AHL to catch up, and then will replace Grant with Ottawa.

I agree, although I'm not sure he gets all 5 games in. If we're struggling for offense in Toronto, I think he's probably called up for the weekend.

As mentionned by some, we need this type of player right now. We can even offer him PP minutes and some time in the top 6. He jumped on the opportunity in his game last year, he might do the same here. We need to generate. I don't expect him to come in and be a PPG player, but this would be good for his development and we've seen within our system that "slower" guys like Daugavins can do well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad