Value of: Mark Stone to Anaheim

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Why not both?

I'm not trying to stir anything up as a rival team, but if Ottawa and Anaheim trade, I feel like if I were Anaheim trying to rob Ottawa... sorry... help Ottawa not lose as much assets to free agency, I'd set up a trade with the following attributes:

To Anaheim: Stone + Duchene
Why: To replace Perry and because I seem to recall the Ducks often have centre depth issues due to Getzlaff's age and random injuries to the centres each year? Serious assets to compete with the crazy arms race in the West. And... I don't think Anaheim will be upset about moving on from Perry due to his decline if the right assets go back.

To Ottawa: Perry (cap) + Above assets for Stone? + ???? + conditional assets to make sure Duchene and Stone stay out of East?
Why: Real dollars of Perry's contract vs "favorable cap hit for cap floor purposes" and random assets in general. Add on the possibility of LTIR Perry and not having to pay that as well... Melnyk should be happy. Oh, and Ottawa's assets go to Western conference... even though it seems like a really stupid thing to insist on.

Issues:

Perry has to sign off on trade I believe. I don't think he has an NTC as I see NMC only on his contract (I could be wrong), but I think he and league have to sign off due to him being on LTIR.

Trading Perry could piss off Getzlaff.

Thoughts?
Feel free to destroy my post if you'd like.

No way do I see Senators accepting Perry contract and I don't see Perry wanting to leave Anaheim for Ottawa either.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Why not both?

I'm not trying to stir anything up as a rival team, but if Ottawa and Anaheim trade, I feel like if I were Anaheim trying to rob Ottawa... sorry... help Ottawa not lose as much assets to free agency, I'd set up a trade with the following attributes:

To Anaheim: Stone + Duchene
Why: To replace Perry and because I seem to recall the Ducks often have centre depth issues due to Getzlaff's age and random injuries to the centres each year? Serious assets to compete with the crazy arms race in the West. And... I don't think Anaheim will be upset about moving on from Perry due to his decline if the right assets go back.

To Ottawa: Perry (cap) + Above assets for Stone? + ???? + conditional assets to make sure Duchene and Stone stay out of East?
Why: Real dollars of Perry's contract vs "favorable cap hit for cap floor purposes" and random assets in general. Add on the possibility of LTIR Perry and not having to pay that as well... Melnyk should be happy. Oh, and Ottawa's assets go to Western conference... even though it seems like a really stupid thing to insist on.

Issues:

Perry has to sign off on trade I believe. I don't think he has an NTC as I see NMC only on his contract (I could be wrong), but I think he and league have to sign off due to him being on LTIR.

Trading Perry could piss off Getzlaff.

Thoughts?
Feel free to destroy my post if you'd like.
Would be a very hard trade to make happen... im not against the idea but im guessing to ensure they are out west... theyd have to be signed... which means the cost would be pretty rough.

Like someone else said, perry has a NTC also... and doubtful hed want to go there... unless there was a 3rd team taking perry in the move.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
No way do I see Senators accepting Perry contract and I don't see Perry wanting to leave Anaheim for Ottawa either.

I don't disagree and your points are valid and I get where you're coming from as a Ducks fan. I'm just saying if the Ducks are targeting Stone, it seems like it makes more sense to go big and involve Duchene in the process plus involving Perry to make it happen.

Perry obviously wouldn't want to leave. But if Perry doesn't have an NTC to protect him, it might not be a bad move to make a swap like that the first chance to get to try and extend your cup window.

As a Flames fan, I know I would hate it if the Ducks bolstered their roster with both Duchene and Stone and only giving up roster pieces like Perry and maybe some bottom 6 guys.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Would be a very hard trade to make happen... im not against the idea but im guessing to ensure they are out west... theyd have to be signed... which means the cost would be pretty rough.

Like someone else said, perry has a NTC also... and doubtful hed want to go there... unless there was a 3rd team taking perry in the move.

Does he have an NTC? Cap friendly lists an NMC only. Perry wouldn't be able to choose if that's the case, though shipping him to Ottawa is like peeing on his cake at a birthday party after all that Perry has done for your franchise.

I think maybe you'd be able to get Ottawa to drop the conditions of allowing players to the East, or lower the compensation to something low. But I feel like a trade like this almost guarantees all 3 guys that Ottawa would be trading to extend in Cali. That would suck as a rival in the Pacific.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I would guess(and hope) that the Ducks would much prefer to trade one of their young defensemen who probably could play opening night if they had to but there’s currently a log jam in Pettersson, Wellinski, Larsson, Mahura, etc.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Perry being out is more reason to make this a transition year. Let the young talent get their feet wet, definitely don't go moving key pieces for a rental.

I’m leaning this direction now as well. And everyone on these boards knows I wanted to give playoffs a solid college try. And I also have wanted to give Perry another shot at bouncing back.

But with Perry out most of the season, and we don’t have promising bottom 6 wingers we should go this route. We may get a top 5 pick this season as this teams gonna be an extremely low scoring unit.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Terry plus one of Larsson/Pettersson plus our first (lottery protected) for Stone on the condition we can get an extension in place.

Would that be enough for Sens fans?

Last edited:

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I figured there would have to be another piece of that ilk. Ducks would most likely not trade their first so it would probably have to be a prospect. I could see Max Jones as an easy add on by the Ducks. Ottawa would probably be more interested in Steel/Terry/Comtois

In my super-humble opinion, Ducks should be looking toward the future, not trying to bolster a current team that is going nowhere this season. I can't see why they should trade any prospect or future for a 1-season rental that should last through Round 1 at best.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
In my super-humble opinion, Ducks should be looking toward the future, not trying to bolster a current team that is going nowhere this season. I can't see why they should trade any prospect or future for a 1-season rental that should last through Round 1 at best.

Agreed me and a couple others said the same thing Anaheim fan wise. Mark Stone isn’t going to get us a Stanley cup, so to trade assets for a rental isn’t the smartest move for Anaheim at the moment.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Perry being out is more reason to make this a transition year. Let the young talent get their feet wet, definitely don't go moving key pieces for a rental.

These are my thoughts as well. Also, our strength isn't really Getz, Perry and Kesler anymore. It's our young D and Goalie. That's what we should be building around.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
These are my thoughts as well. Also, our strength isn't really Getz, Perry and Kesler anymore. It's our young D and Goalie. That's what we should be building around.

True that. This team wouldn’t be going anywhere if it wasn’t for our young D and Gibby. And mark Stone isn’t going to be a game changer putting Anaheim at the top for a cup.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
You would think after the returns for Karlsson and Hoffman, Sens fans wouldn't be demanding such a high price for one year of Stone.

No point in spending anything for Stone for a one year, we gotta just deal with the roster we have now and see where it goes.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Ottawa would want a 1st rounder or 2nd going back and maybe Ritchie or Silfverberg which in the ducks perspective is a ton for one player who is a free agent in the off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad