Player Discussion Mark Stone | "Insanely Controversial" Edition

beaniewong

Oct 6, 2013
I know its almost impossible, but do you think there's a way Stone can teach others to steal the puck like him?

Like even the prospects over the summer where they work on hand-eye, reading the play, active stick, etc???

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
The late, great Roger Maris foretold Stone's arrival decades before he was even born. Spooky.

Hopefully Mark Stone also gets the great HBO movie directed by Billy Crystal treatment as well. Not sure who to cast as Stone though...I say Chris Pratt dips back into the tv game to have the honor of playing Marky Mark.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I honestly think Stone is going to go down as the best forward that has ever played for this team.

Yes, better than Alfie, Spezza, Yashin, Heatley, Hossa.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I honestly think Stone is going to go down as the best forward that has ever played for this team.

If he puts down one/two Alfie-esque playoff run and wins a cup then ya I can see it. That's the only way he beats out Alfie. Right now they are not even in same solar system. Alfredsson was like Stone but a 40 goal 100 point scorer

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If he puts down one/two Alfie-esque playoff run and wins a cup then ya I can see it. That's the only way he beats out Alfie. Right now they are not even in same solar system. Alfredsson was like Stone but a 40 goal 100 point scorer

Alfie had one 100 point season. For most of his career he was a PPG winger. However, scoring around the league was higher for most of his career as well. Alfie is probably a 70ish point guy in this NHL. That's not significantly higher than the 66 points Stone has averaged through his first 3 seasons in the league. And those numbers look more favourable for Stone when you consider that he's played most of his career beside 2nd/3rd liners, not guys like Spezza and Heatley.

And Stone has a better all-around game than Alfie. Haven't seen any Sens forward have the kind of possession impact as Stone. Alfie may have gotten Selke consideration in his career, but Stone should actively be in the conversation for it every year, which I expect to happen when he builds up his rep around the league (Selke is a reputation award first and foremost).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
While he lacks speed, he makes up for it with his high hockey iq.

The guy makes plays out of nothing.

My only worry with Stone, is the skating. I'm really nervous to see where he'll be at 30 or 32 when he loses a step.

Thankfully, that i a long, long ways down the road.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Alfie had one 100 point season. For most of his career he was a PPG winger. However, scoring around the league was higher for most of his career as well. Alfie is probably a 70ish point guy in this NHL. That's not significantly higher than the 66 points Stone has averaged through his first 3 seasons in the league. And those numbers look more favourable for Stone when you consider that he's played most of his career beside 2nd/3rd liners, not guys like Spezza and Heatley.

And Stone has a better all-around game than Alfie. Haven't seen any Sens forward have the kind of possession impact as Stone. Alfie may have gotten Selke consideration in his career, but Stone should actively be in the conversation for it every year, which I expect to happen when he builds up his rep around the league (Selke is a reputation award first and foremost).

Nevertheless, for Stone to even be in any consideration he`ll have to put up 1 conn smythe level playoff run to tie Alfie and then another to be the clear winner.

he hit 100 points once...

Was on pace for 95ish points the year after and 104 points the year after that

In his peak Alfredsson was considered arguably best all-around player in the NHL

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nevertheless, for Stone to even be in any consideration he`ll have to put up 1 conn smythe level playoff run to tie Alfie and then another to be the clear winner.

Was on pace for 95ish points the year after and 104 points the year after that

In his peak Alfredsson was considered arguably best all-around player in the NHL

Who do you think is/was better Zetterburg or Alfredsson?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Recency bias, RKL.

It's a disease all over HF and in HFsens also, obviously and sadly.

Forgetting how good the best player in franchise history was, lol. Can't really do worse than that.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

He's in that tier IMO, but I see Alfie and Yashin ahead of him. He'd post video game numbers if paired with a true #1 C, like, say, Tavares.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Better than Alfie? You can't be serious. Stone reminds me of Alfie in some ways. High hockey IQ, scores big goals, but in no way is he better.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Alfie's career literally span the heart of the dead puck era, i believe youd be hard pressed to find another 15 year or so span where scoring was lower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad