Mark Scheifele vs Auston Matthews

Who would u rather add to ur team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Objectively there is no argument to be made for Matthews. He is no where near being the player Scheifele is and doesn't put up points like Scheifele, especially in the playoffs. All the while Matthews will be getting paid 5 or 6 mil more for inferior play.

I'm a Jet fan and Scheifele is my favorite player in the league. I believe that he has to potential to be a Art Ross Trophy winner in the future. That said I believe that Matthews has the potential to be even better then Scheifele. He has everything it take to be a top C in the league. As Leafs fans have mentioned Scheifele did not do much in his first PO's even though he was a older player then Matthews. Schiefele is now showing he can dominate in the PO's and I expect Matthews to match or exceed him in the future. All this said to leaf fans you may find out that if Matthews matches Scheifele's current play then you have a great centre. If he doesn't end up better he will still be a great player that the Leafs can build on to take them to be a cup contender.
If he does end up better then Scheifele then you guys are going to have a lot of fun watching this guy and success in the PO's is coming.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Objectively speaking you liked the post below, which claims to be objective but falls far from it on so many levels.
Of course it’s an easy choice for the winter soldier, the biggest homer on HF (also a prestigious individual award)

I'll take the guy who is a proven PPG 82 point scorer, that is letting his play in the playoffs do all the talking right now. 14 goals in 15 games. A player who is a student of the game, that has risen his game in the playoffs to be a proven playoff warrior. Given those things, add on his contract and age. It is an easy choice.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Scheifele for sure, awesome contract, smarter, much better character. Never ducked the media after a poor showing and Maurice has never had to chase him down at home to smooth his ego.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
It's so weird to see people vehemently argue about two players that are 4 years apart.

Scheif is better now, most 24 year old stars are better than 20 year old kids.

With that being said, Scheif and Matty are close, and will probably always be pretty close.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I voted Scheiffle because hes better at ice hockey, esp when it counts in the playoffs

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I'll take the guy who is a proven PPG 82 point scorer, that is letting his play in the playoffs do all the talking right now. 14 goals in 15 games. A player who is a student of the game, that has risen his game in the playoffs to be a proven playoff warrior. Given those things, add on his contract and age. It is an easy choice.

You can pick Scheifele, that is valid. But dont go around claiming objectivity when you liked the least objective post I have ever seen.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
but the previous post was talking about playoff performance, and schiefele being proven there.

Matthews has only played 2 seasons, but has helped a 69pt team get 95 then 105pts.
calder, NHL record in 1st game, 40g as a teenage C, 2nd in NHL goals and 1st in ES goals as a rookie!
ppg+ 2nd season, 44g/84pt/+34 pace. I think Matthews has more than proven himself to be one of the best players in the league.

ok so you bring up the contract of schiefele and mcdavid but ignore the fact AM34 is still on an ELC?
can you honestly say you would take Schiefele at 6+ next year over Matthews at less than a mil?
curious to see how rouge those shades are

Yes, I’m very familiar with Matthews’ achievements, as he’s probably my favourite player in the league right now. Thanks for the refresher.

And Matthews may be on an ELC until end of next season, but the season after, his cap hit is gonna be huge, and rightfully so (my guess is $10.5m/season for 8 years). As great as I think he’s going to be, there’s just no way anyone can compete with what Scheifele is doing right now at an insanely low $6.125m cap hit (14 goals/20 points in 15 playoff games? Dude might make history if Winnipeg gets past Vegas).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You can pick Scheifele, that is valid. But dont go around claiming objectivity when you liked the least objective post I have ever seen.
I am picking Scheifele because his contract will be better than Matthews. He is already a proven PPG player over 82 games(actually 79), a student of the game, so he is always working to improve. Just turned 25, so he has many years to go, is not only proving to be a terrific goal scorer in the playoffs but is a better playmaker than Matthews. 14 in 15 games. Not sure Matthews will ever score 14 in 15 games in the playoffs, and Scheifele has a proven playoff mentality unlike Matthews who basically shrunk when the games got tougher. So right now not on speculation but on fact. Scheifele is the easy choice. Not accepting factual preferences is silly. But if you want to choose potential maybes over proven then that's fine. I am not.

Reactions: Snowman

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Matthews is the best 60 point player in NHL history, pair that with his atrocious playoffs, this should be Scheifele by a landslide.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
Don’t know if your serious or not but does the name Bergeron ring a bell(and I’m just strictly talking recency here)..
I am obviously joking, he is the most over rated player in history. Has not gotten out of the 60's in points yet talked about like he is a top 5 player.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews is the best 60 point player in NHL history, pair that with his atrocious playoffs, this should be Scheifele by a landslide.

talk about selling a 40g rookie C that finished 2nd in goals short
oh and he was a lot better this year...60pt player lol. matthews has played two seasons
69pts in 82 games and 63 in 62. Schiefele has gotten at least 63 pts once in the 7 years since being drafted, so what does that make him?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I am obviously joking, he is the most over rated player in history. Has not gotten out of the 60's in points yet talked about like he is a top 5 player.

schiefele has done it ONCE. 7 years after being drafted.
Matthews was drafted 2 years ago. schiefele was still a prospect and still 4 years away from beinfg a ppg player at the same age

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
talk about selling a 40g rookie C that finished 2nd in goals short
oh and he was a lot better this year...60pt player lol. matthews has played two seasons
69pts in 82 games and 63 in 62. Schiefele has gotten at least 63 pts once in the 7 years since being drafted, so what does that make him?
Has Matthews gotten out of the 60's in points? No. Sorry, games not played do not count. Right now he is a 60 point player until he proves otherwise. Schiefele has proven otherwise. That is not even bringing up Matthews horrid playoff performance.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I voted Scheiffle because hes better at ice hockey, esp when it counts in the playoffs

matthews after his draft +2, 34g+ and 63pts each time
schiefele after his draft +7, never hit 34g and topped 63pts once.

2017-2018

Matthews (20 year old) 34g/63pts/+25 in 62 games vs Schiefele (25 years old) 23g/60pts/+19 in 60 games

matthews at 20> schiefe at 25

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Yes, I’m very familiar with Matthews’ achievements, as he’s probably my favourite player in the league right now. Thanks for the refresher.

And Matthews may be on an ELC until end of next season, but the season after, his cap hit is gonna be huge, and rightfully so (my guess is $10.5m/season for 8 years). As great as I think he’s going to be, there’s just no way anyone can compete with what Scheifele is doing right now at an insanely low $6.125m cap hit (14 goals/20 points in 15 playoff games? Dude might make history if Winnipeg gets past Vegas).

kucherov, marchand, bergeron..there are a lot of guys that can compete. dont let the bias take over.
i mean kucherov had 100pts and got less than 5 mil. add 16pts in the playoffs unpaid

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Has Matthews gotten out of the 60's in points? No. Sorry, games not played do not count. Right now he is a 60 point player until he proves otherwise. Schiefele has proven otherwise. That is not even bringing up Matthews horrid playoff performance.

Matthews scored 69 points in his rookie season and his pace was better this season, so no, he is not a "60 point player until he proves otherwise". He's proven otherwise.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
Matthews scored 69 points in his rookie season and his pace was better this season, so no, he is not a "60 point player until he proves otherwise". He's proven otherwise.
Um no, he has not. He has not had a season where he had more then 69 points. Sorry for bringing reality into this argument.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015

You must realize how ridiculous a statement like this makes you sound no? Having any sort of meaningful debate with you is a non-starter if that's how you view things. This sort of nonsense logic allows you to put Matthews on par with a player like Eberle or Anders Lee because they also finished with 60ish points which we can all agree is nonsense. Of course ppg matters.....use some common sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad