Mark Scheifele vs Auston Matthews

Who would u rather add to ur team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
A 20 year old player that has a 40 goal season under their belt, following it up with a 45 goal pace in the next season while being ppg+ over a big sample size gets payed.
Cool, but as of right now he is a 60~ point player and a playoff flop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: flamesforcup

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Scheifele is the complete package so no issues if people pick him. I’m still taking Matthews because he’s only 20 and I think his ceiling is higher while also going ppg.

Ton of respect for Scheifele guy plays the game it was meant to be played.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
For next season Scheifele, for the their remaing career Matthews . Even if Matthews is insanely overrated on this board, he is talked about like he is a top 10, if not top 5 player already, which he isnt even close to be. But still he a elite player and even if he stop in his devolopment, you still have to value those about 5 extra years he probabaly have.

Reactions: Thenameless

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Scheifele is the better player right now, but I'd take the 5 years younger Matthews to re-build Montreal.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Would not be surprised if Matthews turned out the better player, but how much better exactly? That's a tough one.

The contract is what tips the scaled here. Scheifele's cap hit is 6m+ / year while Matthews could potentially make nearly twice as much. Considering that, the choice is rather obvious.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think Schiefele will have a Wheeler career.
Just gets stronger, smarter and better as he age
Thats 8 more years of strong play.
Not saying you are wrong but does any fan think there best players are going to stop being good younger? There is really no way to actually know how he will age as a player...until he does.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Scheifele still has another level as well. I said a couple seasons ago before his first 30 goal season that he will score 40 in this league... I think that'll happen next year. He suddenly discovered in the playoffs that when he shoots, good things happen. If he had one flaw the past couple of seasons, it was that he over-passed.

Winnipeg will have a 40-50 goal guy on the first line and a 40-50 goal guy (Laine on the second line). Lookin' good!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Would not be surprised if Matthews turned out the better player, but how much better exactly? That's a tough one.

The contract is what tips the scaled here. Scheifele's cap hit is 6m+ / year while Matthews could potentially make nearly twice as much. Considering that, the choice is rather obvious.

This is the key.

Scheifele at 6.1M per or Matthews at approximately 11+M per.

I don't see any scenario Matthews is better now or that much later if one wants to project, than to be paid 5M+ more per year than Scheifele will make.

With this in mind, given 5+M on a cap is a lot of money to improve a team. It is Scheifele by a good margin.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not saying you are wrong but does any fan think there best players are going to stop being good younger? There is really no way to actually know how he will age as a player...until he does.

Interestingly most forwards have played their bes (peak) season by 26. So ideally, for the Jets, Scheifele plateaus from here on out rather than regresses.

Matthews on the other hand hasn’t even entered his prime years, which tend to start around 22 for forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->