Recalled/Assigned: Mark Scheifele sent back to Barrie Colts (OHL)

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
In a sense, Scheifele will move up the lineup one way or another. Simply with injuries.

If we think we can make it through the season with our top 6 unscathed, we're joking ourselves.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
If he's not at a point in the coaching staff's eyes where he can get some PP time, I'd send him back. He doesn't add much to the bottom 6. We don't have skilled players for him to play with and we need to focus more on forechecking and controlling the puck. Personally I think we could use Scheifele on the PP, we need that type of skilled passer to operate on the half-boards, we don't have anyone in the top 6 who is able to do that.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
one thing i notice isnt being discussed much that is a crucial factor imo... is the line combos

Scheifele will NOT be staying on this team on the 4th line all season. If he does stay with the big club it will be with one of the first three lines. and cause us to do some juggling

exactly why id love to see him get some minutes with the top two lines this next week. imo thats the only way we get a real sense of if he should stay in the nhl or not. cause hes not a 4th line grinder. if he can handle big important minutes on a scoring line and get some chances, then keep him. if he isnt quite there than send him down

id go with: (just to try)

kane - jokinen - scheifele
ladd - little - wheeler
poni - antropov - wellwood
(thor,wright,peluso) - slater/burmi - slater/burmi

burmi had a good game and is a strong checker and defender.. which is why i would put him on the 4th line instead of wellwood. i dont see kyle filling that role as effectively

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You make it sound like we have a say. :)

Yes truck I sense the coach's are tuned into HFBoards which could explain allot of the problems we are having after one game (edit: insert sarcasm)

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
In a sense, Scheifele will move up the lineup one way or another. Simply with injuries.

If we think we can make it through the season with our top 6 unscathed, we're joking ourselves.

Yup, i agree.

Though our depth at forward is a problem too. Let's hope any of the top 9 aren't out for an extended period of time.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
one thing i notice isnt being discussed much that is a crucial factor imo... is the line combos

Scheifele will NOT be staying on this team on the 4th line all season. If he does stay with the big club it will be with one of the first three lines. and cause us to do some juggling

exactly why id love to see him get some minutes with the top two lines this next week. imo thats the only way we get a real sense of if he should stay in the nhl or not. cause hes not a 4th line grinder. if he can handle big important minutes on a scoring line and get some chances, then keep him. if he isnt quite there than send him down

id go with: (just to try)

kane - jokinen - scheifele
ladd - little - wheeler
poni - antropov - wellwood
(thor,wright,peluso) - slater/burmi - slater/burmi

burmi had a good game and is a strong checker and defender.. which is why i would put him on the 4th line instead of wellwood. i dont see kyle filling that role as effectively

The 3rd line is the line that is matching up against the other teams top guns...
The 2nd line is the line that is sheltered...
That's why if I was doing what you're trying to do I'd do
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Scheifele-Jokinen
Poni-Burmi-Antro
Wright-Slater-Welly

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think we can all fondly recall how Fergie sent Hawerchuk back to Cornwall for a couple of years and then let him earn his ice time by sticking him on a line with Tim Trimper and Jimmy Mann. :sarcasm:

SiouxPride

Dec 26, 2006
WINNIPEG!
Theres no use putting Mark on a low line full of bangers and checkers when hes supposed to be a scoring player. Send him back to Barie. When we get rid of these bums like Antro and Poni and all that BS excuses. We can fit him in with circumstances that actually work. Hes not strong enough, and he will just get tarnished if he players on the 3rd and 4th lines. Whats so wrong with keeping him in the O anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Theres no use putting Mark on a low line full of bangers and checkers when hes supposed to be a scoring player. Send him back to Barie. When we get rid of these bums like Antro and Poni and all that BS excuses. We can fit him in with circumstances that actually work. Hes not strong enough, and he will just get tarnished if he players on the 3rd and 4th lines. Whats so wrong with keeping him in the O anyways.

I think I already commented on why some of this is false.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Oh, if you only knew how wrong I feel you are. :laugh:

SiouxPride

Dec 26, 2006
WINNIPEG!
I think I already commented on why some of this is false.

Our forwards are a mess. we are creating more and more of a problem with adding forwards all the time. We have guys like Cormier,Spencer, Wright, Peluso, Thorburn, and in some peoples minds even Burmi, all to fill out the 4th line. It's dumb and not really fair to keep guys like Cormier and Machacek out of spots they earned last year. There's just no real GOOD reason to keep him and no BAD reason to send him back to JR.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
You've got to be kidding me if you actually like having Antropov and Poni on our team.

You're right, guys like Maclean, Jaffray, Stapleton, Kilngberg, McCardle, and Maxwell were much better last year than Antro, Poni and Burmi. :shakehead But I do agree with you that Mark should be sent back and he will be. Next year he will be here full time.

Last edited:

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg

Absolutely. There will be injuries up front in this compressed schedule. There is nobody in St. Johns better than Mark right now.

He's gotta stay.

White Out 403*

There's really no reason to play Scheifele outside the 5 games. Let him get some NHL experience, go on another run with the Colts, and let him bulk up a little and mature. The Jets aren't going to win the cup this year or even contend to make the playoffs (it kills me to write that) so don't burn a year needlessly like Edmonton did with Nuge. Otherwise why the heck did we sign Olli??

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
I don't think Scheifele is ready for the NHL, but at the same time it's pretty clear he is too good for the OHL and will only develop more bad habits if he continues to play there.

Seriously, does anyone see Scheifele getting stronger on the puck playing against guys that he's already dominating?

In a perfect world, Scheifele would probably in the AHL this season learning how to play against men who paid to play the game. But that isn't an option and the Jets need to do what they can to keep him from stagnating.

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
Half of these posts are so irrelevent. Theres no use putting Mark on a low line full of bangers and checkers when hes supposed to be a scoring player. Send him back to Barie. When we get rid of these bums like Antro and Poni and all that BS excuses. We can fit him in with circumstances that actually work. Hes not strong enough, and he will just get tarnished if he players on the 3rd and 4th lines. Whats so wrong with keeping him in the O anyways.

I agree with this argument. I do not see how playing limited minutes in a grinder role is beneficial to his development into a 1C. If he is kept up then why not on 2nd line with Kane and Jokinen? But what is he supposed to produce with linemates like Slater and Thorburn? They have completely different roles from the top 6. In some ways, Scheif may be a liability for Slats and Thor if they get assigned some shutdown minutes.

Seeing it from the other side, I like the points made about Scheif being closer to resources he needs to physically develop if he stays up with the Jets. Also guys like Hartnell and Legwand had low-production rookie years where they often played on the bottom 6 (usually sheltered) and each has long since progressed up their respective depth charts as better players so I see the merit in that. I'm just not sure it outweighs potential negatives.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The play of Kane/Burmistrov and Bogosian needs to show great improvement which should be the focus for 2013. In 2014 they need to put Scheiffle on the 1st or 2nd line. The offense yesterday was lacking with the exception of the 1st 10 minutes.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I see nothing wrong with Schieflie staying up and playing the equivalent of 3rd line minutes (as he did last night) and as many others have pointed out that he will most likely be playing in a bigger role due to inevitable injuries. I do find it interesting that people want to send him back if he is not playing top 6 since all last year we had to hear how Coutourier was better because he was playing 3rd line center with the flyers

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I see nothing wrong with Schieflie staying up and playing the equivalent of 3rd line minutes (as he did last night) and as many others have pointed out that he will most likely be playing in a bigger role due to inevitable injuries. I do find it interesting that people want to send him back if he is not playing top 6 since all last year we had to hear how Coutourier was better because he was playing 3rd line center with the flyers

I agree with you as well. Its not like Scheif is just going to slot into a top center role right away...with injuries for sure but he isnt a Crosby who is going to come in and dominate as a center on the 1st or 2nd line. he is a player which will grow year by year with experience. IMO

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele was one of the stronger performances in yesterdays game. Granted, thats not saying too much. The best thing about Scheifeles game is that he tends to get in front of the oppositions net. When you do that good things will happen.
Say what you will about Scheifele falling down, I respect that he always gets back up.
My concern for Scheifele has more to do with whether playing now is good for his long term health as a player than whether we burn a contract year this year. If he is getting bullied and mauled, send him back down. If he can make things happen, by all means, the more goals the merrier.
Near the end of the game he was playing with Burmi. I think that has the potential to help both of them improve as players.
Looking forward to the next game.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Other than spending a lot of time flat on the ice Scheifele had a pretty good game yesterday and had some of the best scoring chances. He is around the puck and makes things happen. I would really like to see him have a chance on the 2nd line with Kane and Jokinen over the next 4 games. If he earns it he earns it.

The argument about blowing one of his ELC years on a shortened season is BS. Right now we are one game out of 1st in mid January...you play your best team. Come playoffs what does it matter how long the season is...once you are in?

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I'm really torn on this subject. I don't think playing out of position on a grinder line is benificial for his development. But there isn't a spot for him in the top 6. I saw the potential in him and the ability to grow in the NHL this year, but again, no room for him on the scoring lines (until injuries start).

I say keep him up for the sake of fan interest.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00