Recalled/Assigned: Mark Scheifele sent back to Barrie Colts (OHL)

km204

Oct 20, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
After reading through some threads on here it has come to my attention that a lot of people on here think Scheifele should make the team this year. I really don't understand this for a number of reasons:

- Why would we burn the first year of his contract on a 48 game season?

- Why would we keep him here if he wouldn't be one of our top 6 forwards?

- It's also very clear that he is still not very strong. I've never seen a player fall down as much as he does. Let him get stronger and dominate in the OHL for the rest of the year.

Basically, I just want to understand why some people on here think he should be in the NHL this year. I'd love to see your arguments for this. My opinion on him is that he needs at least half a year in the AHL, maybe even a full year before he's ready for a full time roll with the Jets. There is no point in rushing prospects before they are completely ready.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I say give him his 5 games then send him back.

His skating still isn't ready and he needs to put on a serious amount of muscle. He's certainly made strides, but also still has a ways to go before being ready.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
He is not strong enough for the NHL game....kids spends a lot of time on his back side during the game.......Another year or two of weight training should help a bunch....

thed00d

Sep 29, 2010
Though I don't disagree with sending him down, given that he abovementioned reasons are all valid. But I have one question, regarding the reasoning around 48 game season. Say he was the best skater on our team, being in mid-season form, would it make sense to send him down because it is a shortened season? I mean, a season is a season, and winning the cup, is still winning the cup, is it not?

km204

Oct 20, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
You honestly think this team has the talent to win the cup? Or were you just talking hypothetically? If this team was in a position to go on a cup run, and Scheifele helped with that I wouldn't have a problem with it. However, at this point he wouldn't help.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There have been plenty of other young players who have had problems staying on their feet the first couple of years in the league. Hall and Tavaras come to mind and does anyone remember how skinny and weak Stamkos was as a rookie? Not saying Mark is in any of these players class but none of them were hindered for not being strong enough right out of the gate. In the case of Stamkos Tampa put him on a training program to help his game and monitored him closely. Would he have gotten the same caliber of training back in the OHL? I think the same could apply to Scheifele, is he going to get the same caliber of strength training by going back to the OHL, or is staying up here working with the training staff going to expedite his development in that regard. I think those are questions that Jets management need to ask.

I am going to reserve judgement until game 5 because I think a case could be made to keeping him or sending him back at this point and I would personally like to see where is game is at that point. I personally didn't think he was that weak on the puck yesterday, especially after he shook off the jitters, I also thought he was able to keep up with the play just fine.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
all of the above are totally valid reasons.

essentially, i don't think he "should" stay up, but I think we most agree he should be given the opportunity to "earn" a stay up (given his 5 games).

based off his first game, i wouldn't say it looks like "keep him up" but i'd say it doesn't look like send him down, he helped make some offense happened and if not for being robbed by Anderson would have had a goal.

He's dominated the OHL, can he actually learn anymore down there? Keep in mind he won't get any stronger being sent down, that's pretty much done exclusively int he off season.

also, 48 games is likely more then he'll get if he goes down.

I can see the argument both ways. If he plays better at all over the next 4 games he may stay, but it's really hard to say. I guess my main thing is that most of his deficiencys can't really be addressed until the off season anyway.

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
I anticipate the Jets send Scheifele back to Barrie after one more week. Give him some exposure to the pros up here then go take a run at the Mem Cup with Barrie. I sure as hell hope the first year of his contract isn't burned up on Mark battling on the 4th line.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
He is not strong enough for the NHL game....kids spends a lot of time on his back side during the game.......Another year or two of weight training should help a bunch....

I seem to recall Wheeler down a lot in a similar fashion as Scheff, guy has played 1 game back in the NHL in over a year....:shakehead

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
After reading through some threads on here it has come to my attention that a lot of people on here think Scheifele should make the team this year.

Don't know where you're getting this from. A lot of people hope he makes the team and a great many seem to think he isn't ready. It seems all the falling down talk sure has escalated since the WJC.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I say give him his 5 games then send him back.

His skating still isn't ready and he needs to put on a serious amount of muscle. He's certainly made strides, but also still has a ways to go before being ready.

But Burmistrov doesn't need to put on muscle?

So if a player isn't good enough to play top 6 they shouldn't be here? What does that say for the bottom six on the Jets aside from Slater's face off ability and Thorburns toughness everyone else should go to the AHL? or what?

In most sports and on most teams the best players make the team regardless of age or experience, if Scheff honestly beat out guys like Mach or Mac'r so be it.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
But Burmistrov doesn't need to put on muscle?

Burmi's not the one falling on his ass after every little touch.

Yes he's got many areas he needs to improve, but he also was a part of the only line that controlled some offensive pressure last night.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Burmi's not the one falling on his ass after every little touch.

Yes he's got many areas he needs to improve, but he also was a part of the only line that controlled some offensive pressure last night.

You watched Wheeler on his ass a lot last year right, some guys balance is just a little different.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You watched Wheeler on his ass a lot last year right, some guys balance is just a little different.

Yup and anyone who has watched Hall knows he's on his ass a lot too, some players have to really work on their balance and others don't. Plus I really didn't think Mark was on his ass that much after the first period, he seemed to settle down and mostly hold his own the rest of the game.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

Scott hartnell anyone? i dare say there's probably very few players on our team that are actually stronger then hartnell and he trips over the blueline every game

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I don't see why we would send Mark back down. He played pretty well last night, and I don't think another year of jr. Will help that. He can work on his skatin and strength while playing with the Jets. In fact it probably puts him closer to the resources that he needs to make that happen. In the off season put him with Gary Roberts and/or Barb Underhill and put him into full beast mode.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I don't see why we would send Mark back down. He played pretty well last night, and I don't think another year of jr. Will help that. He can work on his skatin and strength while playing with the Jets. In fact it probably puts him closer to the resources that he needs to make that happen. In the off season put him with Gary Roberts and/or Barb Underhill and put him into full beast mode.

Yup, don't get the hate on Scheff, sure he was down a couple of times, but he was in position, had two shots on net, not bad for a guys first game in the NHL in 15 months.

Some the guys are raving about the USSR line who managed 1 shot between the 3 of them.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

This is my opinion as well.

The "should we burn a year of his contract." arguement always irritates me.

If a kid wants to play professionally and is capable of doing do I hate the fact that a team can keep them from earning a NHL salary.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
- Why would we burn the first year of his contract on a 48 game season?

This is a Gary Lawless style non-argument. A shortened season does nothing but favor Scheifele. First, he's more game ready than any of his team mates. Second he'll actually play more games in the NHL.

It doesn't matter if it's a 1 game or an 82 game season, if he's ready we should play him.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I originally thought before the season started that we should give him 5 games and send him down. But after watching him play we might as well keep him up and toughen him up. He can only improve physically and the only way he can do that is playing in the NHL. Let him stay and harden the **** up

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I think Scheifele's early spaghetti legs were just a case of bad nerves; as the game wore on his confidence grew and so did his balance. I'd understand the need to rip him if he wasn't one of our few number of forwards to generate any legitimate scoring opportunities yesterday.

Of course he looks shaky out there; the Jets are playing him out of position FFS. It is unfortunate that they've chosen to do this as his game is playing down the middle... which is diametrically opposed to playing wing. The reads and defensive responsibilities are completely different at wing. Some people are seemingly just way too eager to rip this kid. The fact remains that he was one of the few forwards yesterday that played fairly well and created some chances, despite playing out of position; that doesn't speak poorly to him but rather speaks poorly to the majority of the balance of the forwards. They should either move Slater or Burmi to wing and give the kid a chance to play his position; then judge him.

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
I will disagree with most of you when I say that Schiefele needs to stay in the lineup. He is learning nothing in junior at this point. He may be gaining some confidence but the NHL game is faster and he needs to find that out sooner rather than later. He is playing down to some of his competition out there. I wouldn't send him to the AHL because he's better than all of the forwards they have there. He needs to remain with the team.

Keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad