Confirmed with Link: Mark Lewis (PA Announcer) to Retire

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
One of the best PA announcers for a long time.. the last two seasons it was pretty obvious he was falling off a bit. I really hope the guy who's split games this season is not his replacement.. he is absolutely brutal.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
If I was Lewis I'd prefer to hang on one more season so I could announce in the new arena.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Too bad. He was sick or something for a few games this season and at least twice, whoever was covering for him didn't announce that there was 1 minute left in the period. Hopefully his replacement can at least manage this. All the best to him.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
That sucks. He's got an awesome voice

Sounds like Kevin Quinn's dad. No thanks.

But the Oilers will pick someone even worse.

Too bad. He was sick or something for a few games this season and at least twice, whoever was covering for him didn't announce that there was 1 minute left in the period. Hopefully his replacement can at least manage this. All the best to him.

Really I mean how would you ever know how much time is left? :)

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That's too bad.

One constant with this team over all the years is his voice calling goals. It's pretty cool when you watch an old game and you hear the same familiar voice say "The Oilers goal, scored by number 99 Wayne Gretzky," and then hear the same thing except with "Connor McDavid" today.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
One of the best PA announcers for a long time.. the last two seasons it was pretty obvious he was falling off a bit. I really hope the guy who's split games this season is not his replacement.. he is absolutely brutal.

That would be Al Stafford who's been the Esks' PA announcer at Commonwealth for years. I can't say I notice him much at the football games but that's probably because gameday host Chris Scheetz is so annoying.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I think it is virtually guaranteed that whoever replaces him will be way worse. I'm guessing Jack Michaels nephew or something.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Can't say I envy the guy stepping into his shoes.

No matter what the call is like it'll likely sound off to most people just because they've been listening to Lewis call the goals for so long.

Please don't pick someone annoying like Calgary's.

(Well I guess I do envy the next guy a little bit. I'd take that job even though I'd suck at it.)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That's too bad.

One constant with this team over all the years is his voice calling goals. It's pretty cool when you watch an old game and you hear the same familiar voice say "The Oilers goal, scored by number 99 Wayne Gretzky," and then hear the same thing except with "Connor McDavid" today.

Yeah, he was a nice bridge from the 80s Oilers to today. I didn't even know he was the PA announcer for that long until I heard his voice during some of those old highlights and thought it sounded familiar.

He was really starting to sound old though so I'm not surprised that he moved on and going into the new building, it makes sense to start fresh.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Legendary voice in the Edmonton community.

I heard a rumor that he would pull out and look at a picture of his childhood dog, who suffered an untimely death, right before announcing the oppositions goals, which is why he sounds so sad. That, ladies and gentlemen, is a true professional!:sarcasm:

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Really hope the Oilers find a way to honour him in some sort of way. The man cried during Gretzky's retirement ceremony...

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
so who's a good PA announcer to you?

I don't know the first thing about hiring a PA announcer, but I'll tell you when they hire someone and I hear them, if I like it or not :)

Just don't like the cartoony sound of Lewis. It's not that he does anything else bad. He seems to do his job just fine.

So hire the next person to do the job just fine and not sound weird and we're gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad