Injury Report: Mark Letestu 2-4 weeks Groin

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
There are 14 games between now and the end of November. We will almost assuredly be in 7th place in the Metro at that time. You remember how tough it was to climb out of the basement in 2013 and even after last year's start?

I agree with you here. The season is in the balance. Let's say in those 14 games, they go 4-10. 8-15 on the season would be a huge hole to dig out of. There would have to be another 8 game winning streak or the like to even get back into contention.

Another big concern I would have is the injured rushing to get back in the lineup and then this becomes a chronic issue all season. If Jarmo does nothing, this will be the first time I have issue with him. This is the time that calls for a move beyond flying to Springfield and bringing back 2-3 backups. It doesn't have to be a blockbuster deals, just something to stop the bleeding, allow the injured to heal properly and possibly offer replacement for Horton.

A lot of you are saying don't panic, it's early, but I would love to be a fly on the wall at Nationwide right now, because I bet they are on Def-Con 5 right now. Panic might not even be the right word.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
ItCrowdDenholmWindow.gif

Total absurdity. Unbelievable.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I agree with you here. The season is in the balance. Let's say in those 14 games, they go 4-10. 8-15 on the season would be a huge hole to dig out of. There would have to be another 8 game winning streak or the like to even get back into contention.

Another big concern I would have is the injured rushing to get back in the lineup and then this becomes a chronic issue all season. If Jarmo does nothing, this will be the first time I have issue with him. This is the time that calls for a move beyond flying to Springfield and bringing back 2-3 backups. It doesn't have to be a blockbuster deals, just something to stop the bleeding, allow the injured to heal properly and possibly offer replacement for Horton.

A lot of you are saying don't panic, it's early, but I would love to be a fly on the wall at Nationwide right now, because I bet they are on Def-Con 5 right now. Panic might not even be the right word.

I don't know if I'm at Def-Con 5 quite yet but I agree that we are in for some potential deep stuff. After the next 4 games, the next 10 are in no way gimmes, even on paper and even with a 100% healthy roster. If we come out of November at .500 that would be 23 points with 59 games to go. We would need 70-73 points in those games to have a shot at the playoffs. Something like 31-19-9 would probably do it. But those games have a lot of St Louis, Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh's in them. It will not be an easy task. Even though its early its time to be concerned.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

With how injured the team is, Jarmo has no leverage. He can't deal (if you're taking trades) from a position of weakness. He has to ride it out a few weeks so as not to overpay. You don't think teams are licking the chops trying to fleece the Jackets? They know we need help in the worst possible way. Their demands will be crazy.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
With how injured the team is, Jarmo has no leverage. He can't deal (if you're taking trades) from a position of weakness. He has to ride it out a few weeks so as not to overpay. You don't think teams are licking the chops trying to fleece the Jackets? They know we need help in the worst possible way. Their demands will be crazy.

There are deals to be made only involving picks. If not, then you're right, play it out and see what happens. I just don't think we're as deep as everyone seems to think we are.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Other than Horton, no one is projected to be out for more than a few more weeks.

While I agree that the hole that the Jackets have been thrown into could be difficult to overcome and make the path to the playoffs very difficult, the short term nature of these injuries puts me in the "grin and bear it" camp. I wouldn't be inclined to severely overpay for a player who only has use as a short term fill in.

Instead, I'd try to sign some accomplished AHL veterans who are not on NHL deals to plug the offensive holes as best I could. There are plenty of guys in the AHL or in Europe who have NHL experience but are no longer prospects and would be able fill ins. One can only have so many Cory Tropps and Adam Cracknells in his line up before winning a game in the NHL becomes almost impossible. The AHL/European free agent route seems the best way to go to plug the numerous short term holes that the CBJ now have. I'd sign 2 or 3 Keith Aucoin type players to fill in for the next month.

Derek MacKenzie is probably having a very nice chuckle these days.

Last edited:

JKG08

Oct 6, 2014
Southern, OH
Making panic trades at this point would be the worst possible move. I really like the group of guys on this team. I still think CBJs long term future is bright with the guys we have. There is no need to get rid of draft picks and prospects just to try and salvage a single season. A single season is nothing in the long run. If we were to make a trade, it would have to be for a legit top 6 winger and it would be the type of trade that we'd make regardless of injuries. It would also likely involve trading away one of our current top 6 guys (Atkinson or foligno most likely) which would do nothing for us to help with the current injuries. Because the only way we trade for a top 6 guy, is either going to be one of our top 6 + a pick/prospect, or it's going to be a slew of our picks and prospects going away. The latter is less ideal IMO.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Other than Horton, no one is projected to be out for more than a few more weeks.

While I agree that the hole that the Jackets have been thrown into could be difficult to overcome and make the path to the playoffs very difficult, the short term nature of these injuries puts me in the "grin and bear it" camp. I wouldn't be inclined to severely overpay for a player who only has use as a short term fill in.

Instead, I'd try to sign some accomplished AHL veterans who are not on NHL deals to plug the offensive holes as best I could. There are plenty of guys in the AHL or in Europe who have NHL experience but are no longer prospects and would be able fill ins. One can only have so many Cory Tropps and Adam Cracknells in his line up before winning a game in the NHL becomes almost impossible. The AHL/European free agent route seems the best way to go to plug the numerous short term holes that the CBJ now have. I'd sign 2 or 3 Keith Aucoin type players to fill in for the next month.

Adam Cracknell and Corey Tropp are AHL veterans, who are better than Keith Aucoin. Go out and sign the best AHL stars you can get and you'll have more of the Cracknell/Tropp variety.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

Given his style of play Mac would probably be part of the walking wounded.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

I don't agree in the slightest. The top of the 2015 draft class is one hell of a consolation prize, and I think that most of the fan base (even the newer ones) are able to look at the injury situation and not demand some type of rash action to be able to salvage something.

Right now, the team is at 46 contracts (sliders pending). There's room to add a player or two from the UFA pool on a one-year deal. It would cost nothing except salary, and who knows...maybe they show they have something left and have trade value once the current roster players start coming back from IR.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
for the time being I'd rather add one or two UFAs on a low risk potentially medium reward for low salary on 1 year deals.. otherwise, let the season play out as it will and if we miss the playoffs due to injuries then we're in a prime spot at the draft

obviously I want to make the playoffs and think we should everything we can, within reason, to get there.. but making rash moves this early on, in hopes of making the playoffs, when there's such a strong draft class as a consolation prize if everything goes awry is silly

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Guys....we will still make the playoffs. Deep breaths here. Remember, last year's team didn't even break through the .500 barrier until January 11.

It's a lot of injuries, yes, and this will be a painful 2 weeks, but we should have most of the key guys back by Mid-November.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Guys....we will still make the playoffs. Deep breaths here. Remember, last year's team didn't even break through the .500 barrier until January 11.

It's a lot of injuries, yes, and this will be a painful 2 weeks, but we should have most of the key guys back by Mid-November.

Oh I've had enough... We were talking about competing for the division title, not just making the playoffs... Get with the program.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Oh I've had enough... We were talking about competing for the division title, not just making the playoffs... Get with the program.

Yes we WERE....now if you read this thread you've got people talking about the 2015 draft. I'd say I'm more with the program than some...

I'm as pissed off about what's gone down as anyone, but with this big of a potential setback looming division title is going to be extremely difficult to attain. We had to fight tooth and nail just to get back in the race last year. I'm not saying it can't be done, but in the Metro whoever wins the division is going to have an outstanding season from beginning to end, and that isn't going to be happening for us obviously.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think this year will be similar to the lockout year. We'll start off in a hole, then guys will get healthy and we'll have a strong 2nd half. We miss the playoffs but have a late pick.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This website already has ebola, only it's officially known as the "trade rumors/discussion forum".;)

And most of the worst of all involve Columbus, so...

Johansen+Murray +2015 1st +2016 1st
for
Kessel + Kadri

:rolleyes: :laugh:

Last edited:

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
I'm going to the game Friday, unless of course I pull a groin between now & then!

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Adam Cracknell and Corey Tropp are AHL veterans, who are better than Keith Aucoin. Go out and sign the best AHL stars you can get and you'll have more of the Cracknell/Tropp variety.

Aucoin is a much more accomplished scorer than these two. He's getting a little long in the tooth, but he put up 70 points in 43 games with Hershey just a few years ago, numbers Tropp and Cracknell can only dream about.

I'm not as familiar with AHL rosters as I was years ago as Cincinnati hasn't had an AHL team in almost 10 years. But, unless things have changed, there usually are plenty of AHL free agent vets with more scoring pop than a Cracknell and a Tropp.

I just don't know how the Jackets can even hope to win a game with only 3 forwards (Joey, Cam, and Hartnell) who are capable of scoring in the NHL. I'll throw in Skille and make it 4. The rest are rookies who can't be counted on for anything or the Tropps/Cracknells/Bolls who just can't score in the NHL. I think the Jackets have to look outside of their system for short term help if they want to stand anything more than a very slight chance of winning any of their upcoming games.

I'll respectfully disagree with your assessment that the Jackets can't do better with some AHL vet free agents than they will with Tropp, Cracknell and the gang.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad