Prospect Info: Mark Kastelic - Center - 125th

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Was curious to see what my first assessment on Kastelic was, I was comparing him with Derek Grant on Nov 22, 2019

I don't see why Kastelic couldn't become a similar player to Derek Grant. Actually I find them a bit similar. I haven't seen Kastelic as much but I see similarities, Kastelic seem like a better goal scorer though and just because he's "already" 20 y/o doesn't mean his development is over. They pretty much have an identical physique, both pretty good on face-offs, strong defensively and gritty in general

He was extremely lucky to get a 1-way contract. He must have had pictures on Dorion seriously :sarcasm:

He would still be taken much higher even in his draft year as there isn't that many NHL players coming out of each draft

Kastelic has played 19 NHL games so far

2017 : 67 players have played 20 games or more
2018 : 38 players have played 20 games or more

So in both these drafts he'd be a 2nd or 3rd rounder worst case?

I love Kastelic but 70% of Mark Stone is still a Top-6 forward... We can be happy if he's 30%
I “like” Kastelic and hope he becomes a major physical presence on this team and learns how to be a policeman and hit like Neil. My “like” will turn to “love” if that happens.

Reactions: Xspyrit

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
This guy needs a better linemate than Kelly. You could also potentially make the argument against Watson too but he plays his role relatively well. Kelly has been lost in the shuffle so far though and has mostly been a negative to a line that’s found a way to produce and contribute every game.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This guy needs a better linemate than Kelly. You could also potentially make the argument against Watson too but he plays his role relatively well. Kelly has been lost in the shuffle so far though and has mostly been a negative to a line that’s found a way to produce and contribute every game.
It's been Watson who has made some really good passes to Kastelic in front of the net where he scored. Watson has played his role really well since he's been here, someone has to block shots & play a defensive & energy game & he seems very good in that role so far. I hope Ostapchuk eventually replaces Kelly, he's probably a little better offensively but not sure when he will be ready for the NHL. He's having another good start to his season in junior.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This guy is turning into one of my favorites. What a beauty, absolutely love his style.
Kastelic's hit was OK, not a devastating one like Neil used to give out. The fight was a bit of a dance and not a real slugfest like Neil used to get into. So, it was rather uneventful IMO.

Ostapchuk along with Kastelic on that 4th line are going to be awesome some day, both can hit, both can fight, both can score goals & both can make life miserable for the opposition. Ottawa is becoming a team that can roll 4 lines & is very difficult to play against something I have wanted to see here for yrs. They are becoming what I would call a playoff team.
I want to add another big tough guy to the 4th line to create a line that the other team would fear to place its #1 or #2 lines on the ice with them. :)

Reactions: aragorn

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Kastelic's hit was OK, not a devastating one like Neil used to give out. The fight was a bit of a dance and not a real slugfest like Neil used to get into. So, it was rather uneventful IMO.

I want to add another big tough guy to the 4th line to create a line that the other team would fear to place its #1 or #2 lines on the ice with them. :)
It's the style of play though that I like, especially for a 4th liner. Big boy, wins faceoffs, he does throw the body a lot, wiling to fight people. He puts in a physical effort.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Crookshank should replace Kelly. Crooked has an excellent motor, forechecks hard, skates well, hits guys and buzzes around a lot. On top of that, I'm sure he'll bring more of a scoring threat to that line and will complement Mark's own scoring abilities. He's already a legit 3rd line option, but I think his style will translate well to the 4th line too.

With Crooked, Mark and Watson, you get three guys that can bang and shutdown top lines. But unlike Kelly they can also all score.

Put them together and I'm sure they'll pot their share of opportunistic goals driven by their heavy forecheck and aggressive offensive zone play.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Some of you lot were questioning why I had Kastelic at #5 on my Sens prospect list. Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.
I think we have a number of guys with higher upside that could slot ahead of him, he's 23 and will be 24 before the season ends so he should be one of the most NHL ready guys in the pool.

He's certainly solidified himself as a capable 4th liner, and is young enough the 3rd liner is still a possibility, but I'd still put someone like Ostapchuk ahead of him based on long term outlook. I can see the potential for a number of our defensive prospects passing him as well and I'm still a big fan of Sokolov, but can see why some have soured on him.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I guess I just like that we have a legit 4th line now that is tough to play against. So kudos to Kastelic for that. In additions that come in the future (i.e., replace Kelly with a prospect) will only enhance this a bit more. Its a lot better than having a 4th line comprised mostly of just roster fillers (thinking of the past).

Reactions: Berri UQAM

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I think we have a number of guys with higher upside that could slot ahead of him, he's 23 and will be 24 before the season ends so he should be one of the most NHL ready guys in the pool.

He's certainly solidified himself as a capable 4th liner, and is young enough the 3rd liner is still a possibility, but I'd still put someone like Ostapchuk ahead of him based on long term outlook. I can see the potential for a number of our defensive prospects passing him as well and I'm still a big fan of Sokolov, but can see why some have soured on him.
Great post - I can understand why some were hesitant with him and “potential” is a lot sexier than a guy that will be a bottom-6 staple, but you could see it in his short stint in Ottawa last year, that this kid could be a valuable player in that role - I find that these type of player are hard to find. He wasn’t given enough credit for that last year.

Reactions: GCK

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Great post - I can understand why some were hesitant with him and “potential” is a lot sexier than a guy that will be a bottom-6 staple, but you could see it in his short stint in Ottawa last year, that this kid could be a valuable player in that role - I find that these type of player are hard to find. He wasn’t given enough credit for that last year.
Yeah, I agree he flew under the radar for most. He'll be a valuable piece even if he tops out as a 4th liner thanks to the way he plays.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Dj wants that 4th line to have a certain role, to bring energy to the team & play great defensively. I agree with you that Ostapchuk is more likely the Kelly replacement in future, I see Crookshank as more of a 3rd line guy, maybe he replaces Motte or Joseph at some point.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Some of you lot were questioning why I had Kastelic at #5 on my Sens prospect list. Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.

Guys voted before Kastelic :

Sanderson, Pinto and Greig : no need to say anything

Sogaard : could be the future #1 goalie

Thomson : possible top-4 offensive D-man

JBD : should be a 2nd pairing D-man quite good defensively

Ostapchuk : if he keeps up on his breakout since last playoffs, he'll probably be the Sens 2nd best prospect after Greig in the next rankings

Boucher : I could see it, but younger and has draft pedigree, but also a potential good/great bottom-6 player

Kleven : a big intimidating D-man is something we clearly lack. The guy is pretty mobile too with a big shot, could be an impactful player.

Jarventie : clearly has Top-6 skillset and potential. Did pretty well in men's leagues as a teenager, dominated in the last WJC

Sokolov : I wouldn't mind if ranked behind Kastelic but has lead B-Sens scoring sine turning pro

Lodin : Late bloomer, 7 goals, 11 pts in 15 AHL games. Nice skillset. Could see a Kastelic argument over him because of "likeliness to make the NHL"

Crookshank : IMO the only reason why it isn't clear now is because of last season's injury

Hamara : looks like a homerun pick but could see Kastelic being ranked above for now

You could make an argument for voting Kastelic above Boucher, Sokolov, Lodin and Hamara but would be curious to hear the reasoning for the others

Crookshank should replace Kelly. Crooked has an excellent motor, forechecks hard, skates well, hits guys and buzzes around a lot. On top of that, I'm sure he'll bring more of a scoring threat to that line and will complement Mark's own scoring abilities. He's already a legit 3rd line option, but I think his style will translate well to the 4th line too.

With Crooked, Mark and Watson, you get three guys that can bang and shutdown top lines. But unlike Kelly they can also all score.

Put them together and I'm sure they'll pot their share of opportunistic goals driven by their heavy forecheck and aggressive offensive zone play.

Crookshank - Kastelic - Motte would be an incredible 4th line... Sucks about Formenton and Norris, it ruins what could probably be the best forward group in the NHL.

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Sanderson, Pinto and Greig were automatics

Others voted before Kastelic :

Sogaard : could be the future #1 goalie

Thomson : possible top-4 offesive D-man

JBD : should be a 2nd pairing D-man quite good defensively

Ostapchuk : if he keeps up on his breakout since last playoffs, he'll probably be the Sens 2nd best prospect after Greig in the next rankings

Boucher : I agree he should be closer to Kastelic but a bit higher since younger and has draft pedigree, but potential goodégreat bottom-6 player, like Kastelic

Kleven : a big intimidating D-man is something we clearly lack. The guy is pretty mobile too with a big shot, could be an impactful player.

Jarventie : clearly has Top-6 skillset and potential. Did pretty well in men's leagues as a teenager, dominated in the last WJC

Sokolov : I wouldn't mind if ranked behind Kastelic but has lead B-Sens scoring sine turning pro

Lodin : Late bloomer, 7 goals, 11 pts in 15 AHL games. Nice skillset. Could see a Kastelic argument over him

Crookshank : only reason why it isn't clear yet s because of last season's injury. Could be the perfect bot-6 player

Hamara : looks like a homerun pick but could see Kastelic being ranked above for now

You could make an argument for voting Kastelic before Boucher, Sokolov, Lodin and Hamara but the others? Would be curious to hear the reasoning.

Crookshank - Kastelic - Motte would be an incredible 4th line... Sucks about Formenton and Norris, it ruins what could probably be the best forward group in the NHL.
I’m a terrible evaluator of goaltending - I had Sogaard 8th - I usually don’t like to mix skaters and goalies, how do you compare a skater to a goalie? It’s something I haven’t been able to pin point yet, for most goalies, their success is in large part attributed to the team built in front of them. It‘s difficult to quantify in my opinion unless you’re a can’t miss goalie. Sogaard isn’t.

Ostapchuk I understand the argument. I had him 1 spot after Kastelic but with there were still question marks with him after his lack of regular season production in the WHL.

Lassi I had 4th - he impressed my in the NHL and I believe he is close to if not NHL ready right now.

Everyone else I don’t see an argument for whatsoever - a lot of “potential”, where as it has already been seen that Kastelic is and will continue to be an impact NHLer for a long time. been saying it, and I will keep saying it. Kastelic is Zack Smity 2.0.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I’m a terrible evaluator of goaltending - I had Sogaard 8th - I usually don’t like to mix skaters and goalies, how do you compare a skater to a goalie? It’s something I haven’t been able to pin point yet, for most goalies, their success is in large part attributed to the team built in front of them. It‘s difficult to quantify in my opinion unless you’re a can’t miss goalie. Sogaard isn’t.

Ostapchuk I understand the argument. I had him 1 spot after Kastelic but with there were still question marks with him after his lack of regular season production in the WHL.

Lassi I had 4th - he impressed my in the NHL and I believe he is close to if not NHL ready right now.

Well, good first point as I also think skaters and goalies should be voted separatly, it's amost as if they were part of different sports lol. And yeah, there's very rarely a "can't miss goalie" (like Price I guess) so you're absolved for that one.

Ostapchuk : his regular season was really worrisome but he did break out in a significant way in the playoffs as he was still 18 y/o. And it looks like he's picking where left off. And after making TC, no doubt he's the better prospect than Kastelic was

Everyone else I don’t see an argument for whatsoever - a lot of “potential”, where as it has already been seen that Kastelic is and will continue to be an impact NHLer for a long time. been saying it, and I will keep saying it. Kastelic is Zack Smity 2.0.

I don't like this argument because it implies that "making the NHL" or "likeliness to make the NHL" is the biggest factor by far and trumps everything else.

So Parker Kelly should be a better prospect than pretty much everyone else above him then? I mean, he's in the NHL and even has a 1-way next season

JBD, Kleven, Jarventie and Crookshank all have very strong arguments to be considered better prospects than Kastelic was prior to the season. Even Boucher, Sokolov, Lodin and Hamara have arguments. We still have a pretty strong pool (which could go downhill fast when the rest of 2019/2020 graduates and if 2021/2022 doesn't pay dividends)

Also, Kastelic is a 4th line Center and shouldn't be played anything above that if you have competitive aspirations. You're not the only one who believed in him. Aragorn was the biggest believer. Even I said 3 years ago that he could be a Derek Grant

Kastelic is doing what me and some other people expected him to do. I still voted several guys above him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sokolov seems to have the drive & determination to be an NHL player, if he can spend next summer in Ottawa with the skating coaches to improve his leg strength & first step he could be a guy they look at to play RW on their 4th line & replace Watson if he is not re-signed. Sokolov has experience playing with Kastelic in Belleville & might give that line a little more offence. I expect that Kastelic will take over Watson's role as the team's heavyweight enforcer & along with Soko would give that 4th line more size.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Well, good first point as I also think skaters and goalies should be voted separatly, it's amost as if they were part of different sports lol. And yeah, there's very rarely a "can't miss goalie" (like Price I guess) so you're absolved for that one.

Ostapchuk : his regular season was really worrisome but he did break out in a significant way in the playoffs as he was still 18 y/o. And it looks like he's picking where left off. And after making TC, no doubt he's the better prospect than Kastelic was

I don't like this argument because it implies that "making the NHL" or "likeliness to make the NHL" is the biggest factor by far and trumps everything else.

So Parker Kelly should be a better prospect than pretty much everyone else above him then? I mean, he's in the NHL and even has a 1-way next season

JBD, Kleven, Jarventie and Crookshank all have very strong arguments to be considered better prospects than Kastelic was prior to the season. Even Boucher, Sokolov, Lodin and Hamara have arguments. We still have a pretty strong pool (who could go downhill fast when the rest of 2019/2020 graduates and if 2021/2022 doesn't pay dividends)

Also, Kastelic is a 4th line Center and shouldn't be played anything above that if you have competitive aspirations. You're not the only one who believed in him. Aragorn was the biggest believer. Even I said 3 years ago that he could be a Derek Grant

Kastelic is doing what me and some other people expected him to do. I still voted several guys above him.
Re: Parker Kelly: Yes! He is going to be a valuable piece in the bottom-6, he doesn’t Have the upside of Kasto. but he for sure should have been thought of more highly by the fan base. Getting NHL games played, even if it’s down the lineup is worth a hell of a lot more than “potential“.

JBD I have never been a fan of - replacement level player In my view. If he didn’t have first round pedigree I doubt this fan base would regard him so highly.

Kleven Is a guy I want to see how he handles professional hockey before coming to any conclusions - love how this kid plays.

I’m not a big Jarventie guy in Ottawa - I don’t see a path to success for him here - Ottawa is just too deep on the wing. He is a top-6, one dimensional player, or he‘s not an NHLer at all. I think he is far more likley to bust.

Crookshank was a difficult one to quantify - have always been a fan of his game, but missing a full year due to injury in his most important development season had me write him off. Still need to see some consistent games to draw any conclusions.

And I actually believe that Kasto will play his best hockey in a third line role - he has it in him, he just needs to be given the opportunity - that will come with time.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't see either Sokolov or Jarventie having a career in the NHL with the Senators.

They are both top six guys without the speed to be top six in the NHL.

Put them on a line with Stephane Da Costa and you have a really good trio in Europe.

Nevertheless, spot duty for injury and making Belleville a better team? Sure.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think these are the top 7 prospects who have a shot at playing in Ottawa in future:

JBD - IMO could be the best partner for Sanderson, he's a defensive defenceman who would stay at home more & allow Sanderson to roam. They know each other from UND days & IMO JBD plays more like Hamonic & would complement Sanderson's style.

Kleven - I think Kleven has the ability to replace Holden as this team's 3rd pairing LD. He brings good size which is needed on this defence, he hits like a truck, he is big enough & strong enough to clear the front of the net, he blocks shots & will likely have to drop the gloves occasionally. He could be Ottawa's best shutdown defensive defenceman.

Thomson - to help Kleven clear the puck from their own zone Thomson seems like a good partner for Kleven in future. Kleven plays the heavy minutes & Thomson brings some offence to that 3rd pair & can move the puck out. These three D could fix our D problems in future if they also re-sign Zub to play with Chabot.

Sokolov - given that Watson is a UFA & likely gone his role will be replaced by Kastelic but that still leaves the RW spot open. Sokolov has experience playing with Kastelic in Belleville & would fill a hole on the 4th line bringing some offence & much needed size to that line without Watson.

Jarventie - while he has good size & a very good skillset & shot I'm not sure he has the determination or drive that DJ wants to see in his players. If he were to replace anyone it would have to be in the top six where DeBrincat plays & I'm not sure that is going to happen. There are two other guys I see ahead of him on LW, 3 if Formenton is still around.

Ostapchuk - IMO Ostapchuk will be a perfect fit on the 4th line with Kastelic & Sokolov. He's big, he's tough, he plays a hard nosed style that DJ loves & he can also bring some offence. He will need to beat out Kelly, but I think it's inevitable.

Boucher - another guy who plays a style that DJ loves, while I doubt he will ever be the goal scorer & pt producer fans want to see from this guy he is going to do other things that will bring fans out of their seats. IMO he will play a support role on one of the two middle six lines probably after Giroux retires & help make the team that much more difficult to play against that teams will fear given all the hitters that could be on this team.

Greig - if it comes down to Jarventie or Greig for a LW spot my money is on Greig who plays a nasty style that DJ likes from his players. Greig also has the skillset & scoring potential that could place him on the 2nd or 3rd line. Given that he also plays centre he could be a backup should the team lose another centre in future. People are already calling for him to be on this team & after a yr in Belleville he should be that much more prepared to play in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad