Prospect Info: Mark Kastelic - Center - 125th

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What I like about Kleven, Ostapchuk, Grieg, Boucher, JBD is that they can play in the bottom six / bottom pairing with ease in complementary roles, while also maybe earning a spot higher up based on opportunities from injury or a good run of play.

I’m less certain about Jarventie, Sokolov and Thomson to some extent in terms of their versatility through the lineup.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What I like about Kleven, Ostapchuk, Grieg, Boucher, JBD is that they can play in the bottom six / bottom pairing with ease in complementary roles, while also maybe earning a spot higher up based on opportunities from injury or a good run of play.

I’m less certain about Jarventie, Sokolov and Thomson to some extent in terms of their versatility through the lineup.
I agree with all that however, if Sokolov is in a 4th line role the team is not as dependent on his scoring & whatever pts he or the line puts up is a bonus. He could also move up a line as an injury replacement, Ottawa doesn't have many RW replacements in their org, Latimer is the only one that comes to mind. While Sokolov's skillset should have him on the top six I think his skating will always hold him back, but it shouldn't be that big a problem on the 4th line & he has experience playing with Kastelic in Belleville. And IMO the 4th line will need some size after Watson is gone & he brings it in spades.

Jarventie I completely agree about, but I think Thomson could have a chance, but he would be fighting with Brannstrom for that last spot. Thomson can also move the puck out of his own end, I think he is considered a PMD. He has a bomb from the point & has proven in Belleville that he can produce pts from the backend. If Brannstrom struggles to produce pts they could look to Thomson to see if he could be an upgrade at the NHL level. He did play with Chabot for a while last yr & it seemed to work okay, which is why I think he would be okay on a 3rd pairing.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I like Thomson but he’s got a lot of competition in front of him and Brannstrom is only a year older.

Finances could give him a shot on that 3rd pairing which is why I think he has better odds of making the team than Sokolov or Jarventie.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think these are the top 7 prospects who have a shot at playing in Ottawa in future:

JBD - IMO could be the best partner for Sanderson, he's a defensive defenceman who would stay at home more & allow Sanderson to roam. They know each other from UND days & IMO JBD plays more like Hamonic & would complement Sanderson's style.

Kleven - I think Kleven has the ability to replace Holden as this team's 3rd pairing LD. He brings good size which is needed on this defence, he hits like a truck, he is big enough & strong enough to clear the front of the net, he blocks shots & will likely have to drop the gloves occasionally. He could be Ottawa's best shutdown defensive defenceman.

Thomson - to help Kleven clear the puck from their own zone Thomson seems like a good partner for Kleven in future. Kleven plays the heavy minutes & Thomson brings some offence to that 3rd pair & can move the puck out. These three D could fix our D problems in future if they also re-sign Zub to play with Chabot.

Sokolov - given that Watson is a UFA & likely gone his role will be replaced by Kastelic but that still leaves the RW spot open. Sokolov has experience playing with Kastelic in Belleville & would fill a hole on the 4th line bringing some offence & much needed size to that line without Watson.

Jarventie - while he has good size & a very good skillset & shot I'm not sure he has the determination or drive that DJ wants to see in his players. If he were to replace anyone it would have to be in the top six where DeBrincat plays & I'm not sure that is going to happen. There are two other guys I see ahead of him on LW, 3 if Formenton is still around.

Ostapchuk - IMO Ostapchuk will be a perfect fit on the 4th line with Kastelic & Sokolov. He's big, he's tough, he plays a hard nosed style that DJ loves & he can also bring some offence. He will need to beat out Kelly, but I think it's inevitable.

Boucher - another guy who plays a style that DJ loves, while I doubt he will ever be the goal scorer & pt producer fans want to see from this guy he is going to do other things that will bring fans out of their seats. IMO he will play a support role on one of the two middle six lines probably after Giroux retires & help make the team that much more difficult to play against that teams will fear given all the hitters that could be on this team.

Greig - if it comes down to Jarventie or Greig for a LW spot my money is on Greig who plays a nasty style that DJ likes from his players. Greig also has the skillset & scoring potential that could place him on the 2nd or 3rd line. Given that he also plays centre he could be a backup should the team lose another centre in future. People are already calling for him to be on this team & after a yr in Belleville he should be that much more prepared to play in the NHL.
JBD - I do not see him as a top pair D. Maybe 2nd pair, but most likely 3rd pair.

Kleven - 3rd pair D, agreed.

Thomson - has potential to be a 2nd pair D; I like his offensive skills.

Sokolov - too slow so far; needs to show more hustle and physical play to make it.

Jarventie - too passive; needs to develop more to make it. I doubt he will.

Ostapchuk - if he continues to develop at the same pace as last year or so, he could become a force and perhaps on the 2nd line someday.

Boucher - not certain what he will be; needs more time to develop and show what he brings.

Greig - Could become a 3rd line C; maybe more.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Re: Parker Kelly: Yes! He is going to be a valuable piece in the bottom-6, he doesn’t Have the upside of Kasto. but he for sure should have been thought of more highly by the fan base. Getting NHL games played, even if it’s down the lineup is worth a hell of a lot more than “potential“.

JBD I have never been a fan of - replacement level player In my view. If he didn’t have first round pedigree I doubt this fan base would regard him so highly.

Kleven Is a guy I want to see how he handles professional hockey before coming to any conclusions - love how this kid plays.

I’m not a big Jarventie guy in Ottawa - I don’t see a path to success for him here - Ottawa is just too deep on the wing. He is a top-6, one dimensional player, or he‘s not an NHLer at all. I think he is far more likley to bust.

Crookshank was a difficult one to quantify - have always been a fan of his game, but missing a full year due to injury in his most important development season had me write him off. Still need to see some consistent games to draw any conclusions.

And I actually believe that Kasto will play his best hockey in a third line role - he has it in him, he just needs to be given the opportunity - that will come with time.

ok I understand your whole point. Of course potential if not realized is not worth much in the end. The challenge is to project and scout the right guys who you think will end up realizing that potential or at least some of it.

By voting Kastelic 5th, you basically only believe in Thomson, which is NOT A LOT based on the Sens success at the draft table since 2008

Even if none of the other guys reach some of their potential and just play a support role, you're saying that Kastelic will play more NHL games than JBD, Crookshank, Ostapchuk, Boucher, Kleven, etc

I guess you're a big Kastelic believer and at the same time a bit down on all the other guys outside of the "big 4"

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
ok I understand your whole point. Of course potential if not realized is not worth much in the end. The challenge is to project and scout the right guys who you think ill end up realizing that potential or at least some of it.

By voting Kastelic 5th, you basically only believe in Thomson, which is NOT A LOT based on Sens success at the draft table since 2008

Even if none of the other guys reach some of their potential and just play a support role, you're saying that Kastelic will play more NHL games than JBD, Crookshank, Ostapchuk, Boucher, Kleven, etc

I guess you're a big Kastelic believer and at the same time you're kinda down on all prospects outside of the "big 4"
I am a big Kasto believer - and I also believe that the Sens now have one of the weaker prospect pools in the league now that Sanderson, Pinto, and Kastelic are going to graduate. The 2021 Draft was terrible, and 2022, the top picks were dealt for Cat - leaving us with not much quality.

Reactions: Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
JBD - I do not see him as a top pair D. Maybe 2nd pair, but most likely 3rd pair.

Kleven - 3rd pair D, agreed.

Thomson - has potential to be a 2nd pair D; I like his offensive skills.

Sokolov - too slow so far; needs to show more hustle and physical play to make it.

Jarventie - too passive; needs to develop more to make it. I doubt he will.

Ostapchuk - if he continues to develop at the same pace as last year or so, he could become a force and perhaps on the 2nd line someday.

Boucher - not certain what he will be; needs more time to develop and show what he brings.

Greig - Could become a 3rd line C; maybe more.
- I have JBD with Sanderson who plays on the 2nd pair, Sanderson is the OMD & JBD plays Hamonic's role of being the defensive conceince for that tandem.
- Thomson we disagree on only if we consider where he should play based on what the coaches want from each pairing. Do they want a defensive D with an offensive D, do we want to PMD together or two defensive D together? Right now he has an offensive D with a defensive D, Chabot - Zub, Sanderson - Hamonic & Holden - Brannstrom. I would eventually replace Hamonic with JBD, Holden with Kleven & Brannstrom with Thomson at some point.
- I also disagree that Sokolov is too slow, Stone wasn't a speedster either. Everytime I watch Soko he gets where he needs to go, I don't think he's slow. He could be more physical & if he starts on the 4th line will need to be.
- Jarventie agree.
- Ostapchuk, I doubt he has enough offence to be more than a bottom six player but in this case I hope you are right. I see Boucher as a similar player that needs to increase his intensity.
- If Ott is happy with Norris, Stutzle & Pinto as their top 3 centres than I don't see Greig playing there unless as an injury replacement. My guess is he starts at LW in the top 9, I don't see him as a 4th line player, I think he is too good for that but could be more like DeBrincat on the top two lines. It's why I don't want to give DeBrincat too much money & term, I think Greig could be a top 6/9 player. It is fun to imagine what this team will look like in future, I appreciate your opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad