Value of: Mark Jankowski

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I was wondering what the cost to trade for Jankowski would be? He’s still unsigned and Calgary has plenty of center depth with signing Derek Ryan. Also what kind of contract would he command?

its an interesting question... he hasn't really done anything to establish a ton of value... reminds me a bit of joe colburn early on when boston was trying to figure out what to do with him or maybe what was happening with shawn mathias early on when florida thought they poached something special away from detroit

these project type players are tough because you always want to hold out hope.. but he turns 24 this fall

I think even to this day there are still fans of mathias and colburn who feel the guys might become top 6 big talented centers

if jankowski did fall out of calgarys plans someone would take a flyer on him. but I seriously doubt flame fans would be impressed by the return.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
its an interesting question... he hasn't really done anything to establish a ton of value... reminds me a bit of joe colburn early on when boston was trying to figure out what to do with him or maybe what was happening with shawn mathias early on when florida thought they poached something special away from detroit

these project type players are tough because you always want to hold out hope.. but he turns 24 this fall

I think even to this day there are still fans of mathias and colburn who feel the guys might become top 6 big talented centers

if jankowski did fall out of calgarys plans someone would take a flyer on him. but I seriously doubt flame fans would be impressed by the return.

I would agree except Jankowski only had one year in the NHL Give him at least another year lol

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Much more willing to move Janko over Benny. Dunno, Flames worked hard to get the kid here, no need to move onto him. I personally don’t see much top 6 upside to him, but you never know; he’s young.

Umm, dunno. Not many deals make sense. Jankowski makes sense if he’s a part of a larger deal that brings some more star power to Calgary.

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Most of us think that there are two scenarios involving Janko and Ryan, either they play together, or we kind of run with 2 third lines (Bennett/Janko/Czarnik and Frolik/Ryan/Brouwer) or Ryan flanks Janko and Bennett ande takes draws on his strong side.

I suspect he will sign for 2 or 3 years at 1-2 million

We're not in a hurry to move on from him.

You can't, he filed for arbitration
Who wants to WALK WITH ELIAS?!

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think we will keep Mark to try and lure his brother David to the farm. I think we won't have any issues re-signing him

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
he is definitely the best player that has a name that rhymes with bankowski

not sure this kid would even be a 1st rd pick in a redraft

You cant name 30 guys better than him in his draft year.

The Flames baby sat him so long, most people assumed he is a bust before he started his first season in the NHL.

Is he a top line center like some Flames fans (OKG) claim? f*** no...but the guy got 17 goal in his rookie year. He is as solid as anybody on the later half of the first.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The reality is there’s no reason or incentive for Calgary to deal Janks.

The Flames are a cap team this season and Janks is a young, cost controlled asset at low dollars that can contribute to the roster, so that’s highly valuable to a team like us. The Flames just went out and added Lindholm and Neal to their top 6, so we aren’t really looking to add anymore pieces for upgrades. Prior to this years offseason I would have said moving Janks for an upgrade might have made some sense, but that’s not a need now nor is it possible because we have no more cap room. Selling for futures also makes no sense as he’s needed on the roster and as mentioned, his contract is of huge importance to us. Our blue line is full all the way to the number 8 position, so unless he was being dealt for a can’t miss future netminder, I don’t see any deal that makes sense.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
I think the devils would be a good fit for him. The devils need secondary scoring and Jankowski has the potential. And with 5 years of rebuild the devils have the assets.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well the flames look dangerous with Gaudreau, Monahan, Ryan, Lindholm so they look pretty set so they could give up Jankowski for someone close to being in the NHL like Blake Speers or 2nd rounder
I would rather just hold onto Janko. Many of us (myself included), think he has 2nd line potential and could be a long term replacement for Backlund when the time comes.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Well the flames look dangerous with Gaudreau, Monahan, Ryan, Lindholm so they look pretty set so they could give up Jankowski for someone close to being in the NHL like Blake Speers or 2nd rounder

There is no reason for the Flames to trade him for a 2nd. As for Speers, why would they trade a young 17 goal NHLer for a 12 goal AHLer? The only thing Speers has is age but his upside is even less than Jankowski

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Calgary spent a lot of development cycles and got rewarded with a 17 goal center from the third line. I doubt there's much interest in trading him from the Flames.

A 2nd and Blake Speers from New Jersey doesn't get the conversation started.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Flames will keep Jankowski thanks. The only reason the Flames have not signed Jankowski is because they just traded for two big name RFAs they had to negotiate with first.

The Flames had a woefully terrible bottom 6 last season. Derek Ryan will bump one of the other scrubs with single digit goal totals out of the line-up, not Jankowski.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad