Mark Fayne- the forgotten Oiler

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Fayne is not as bad as his scratches indicate, but he's not as good as his contract indicates either (not a top 4). He's in the conversation with Benning and Gryba for that 3rd line spot. The only problem is Gryba brings physicality that might be needed on some nights, and Benning brings huge hits, a bit of offense, and is young enough where he can still develop to be better. Fayne is an expensive depth option but still a good depth option.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Fayne brings responsible defensive play. I'll take someone who can do that over Gryba's "gritensity" while paired with his laughably horrendous defending 10 times out of 10. Much like Henderson, Gryba actively hurts the Oilers at 5v5. He's a decent PKer and will stand up for his teammates, but at 5v5 he's frighteningly bad.

I mean we're talking about a #7 d-man here, so it doesn't matter all that much. But if we're in a position where we need to play one of them, Fayne is a far better hockey player than Gryba.

Interesting that the 3.5 million dollar player is in the minors, but the minimum wage grunt is here. Says something about what they bring at this level.

P.S. Who is Henderson?

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Interesting that the 3.5 million dollar player is in the minors, but the minimum wage grunt is here. Says something about what they bring at this level.

P.S. Who is Henderson?

Gryba plays the physical style that Chiarelli prefers and Gryba was his guy that he acquired and Fayne the guy he inherited.

I would say those are the important reasons why Gryba is in the NHL and Fayne is not.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

P.S. Who is Henderson?

I'm going to assume its Matt Henderson aka one of Oilernation's bloggers. He has a big dislike for Kris Russell because of his corsi stats.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

P.S. Who is Henderson?

Justin Schultz wasn't good enough to play here under this coaching staff either. He's now playing 20+ minutes a night, is on pace for nearly 60 points and is top 5 in league +/- and top 5 in scoring by d-men.

Gryba playing over Fayne here says more about the coaching staff than it does about either player.

I don't mean to be overly critical, all things being taken into consideration I think the coaching staff has done a great job on the team. I just think on a couple cases McLellan is playing favourites and has at times put players in the lineup ahead of other better, more deserving players.

I'm going to assume its Matt Henderson aka one of Oilernation's bloggers. He has a big dislike for Kris Russell because of his corsi stats.

Hendricks* Must have had something else on my mind. My mistake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad