Mark Fayne- the forgotten Oiler

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Fayne has 9 points in 12 games in the AHL. Fayne is a vet and probably in his last stint in the nhl this year. Anyone think Fayne could be plenty useful down the road this season as the year wears on. Hell be well rested and be able to provide a big vet presence

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Fayne has 9 points in 12 games in the AHL. Fayne is a vet and probably in his last stint in the nhl this year. Anyone think Fayne could be plenty useful down the road this season as the year wears on. Hell be well rested and be able to provide a big vet presence

Lander looks like an all-star in the AHL also.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
He's the kind of guy you don't mind having on hand if you wind up still playing in May.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think he still gets waived next year, but he could have some value in the "Gryba role", so I don't see him getting brought out.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Davidson/Russell/Other
Nurse-Benning
Oesterle, Reinhart, Fayne

9 names that you can trust at the NHL level, a nice pool of depth.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He should be here as the #7 guy instead of Gryba at the very least. He hasn't been given a fair shake this year to be honest. In the 4 games he's actually gotten into he looked completely fine, even good at times (unlike Gryba who looks like hot garbage at least once or twice a game when he actually gets in).

But he's just not a Chia/McLellan guy. They clearly have no time for him. That's their prerogative, they've earned the right to make this kind of decision at this point. My guess is that when we eventually buy him out he'll end up a bit like Nick Schultz and find a job on some other teams bottom pairing and play some decent responsible defense for a couple years.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Yup. Not overly impressive but a reliable vet who could still have some gas left

A vet who hasn't played in a "the season is on the line tonight and we need this" style NHL game in a while. I think it's easy to forget, but he does have a 24 game playoff run on his resume. Not only does he know what it means to play in those games, he knows how hard it is to get there and how fleeting success can be. I would not hesitate to give him the first shot if a replacement is needed.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
A vet who hasn't played in a "the season is on the line tonight and we need this" style NHL game in a while. I think it's easy to forget, but he does have a 24 game playoff run on his resume. Not only does he know what it means to play in those games, he knows how hard it is to get there and how fleeting success can be. I would not hesitate to give him the first shot if a replacement is needed.

Plus hes on his last shot in nhl, maybe forever. Hell have a ton of urgency and you get some shocking stuff out of desperate players. I'd give him a call up of Benning starts to slow down, or to give some D a slight rest. Also a really solid injury call up option

Oilers cavalry for playoffs will be a pissed off, hungry nurse and a desperate vet in Fayne. Not amazing but still solid

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Would rather have him on roster then Gryba and it makes no sense since 2+million is having an affect on cap here where Gryba sent down would not . And he is a better dman then Gryba

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Yep, can't underestimate the importance of experience in a playoff run especially on a blueline like this that is woefully inexperienced in big games. Has Sekera even played any playoff games? Russell is pretty much the only big game experienced blueliner.

I'm not suggesting that Fayne should play in place of Benning for instance but I think he should be the first call up in case of injury. I'd trust Fayne in a playoff type game more than Gryba although Gryba does have his moments of solid play but Fayne is a more consistently steady presence, Gryba is a big liability when he's having an off game.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
He will be up again before the end of the season. Gryba has had a couple less then stellar games, I think they might swap him out for Fayne. Also the chance they deal Davidson if they feel they are going to lose him for free in the expansion draft, I don't think it's likely but you never know.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I think Fayne is an NHLer who fell out of favour and lost his role to Larsson and younger players. If he gets bought out he won't be in the AHL next year.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Keep him for playoff depth.
Leave him exposed for Vegas.
If Vegas doesn't take him (likely), he could be moved in the offseason. With one year remaining, his contract will no longer be the boat anchor it's been.

Plus, his cap hit is $125k higher than his actual salary, so he could help teams (albeit slightly) with an internal budget.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Fayne has lost a step and for an nhl dman to do that it is a bad thing. Lander is also a scoring machine on the farm.

If we are serious about a playoff run depth is not a bad thing.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I like both Lander and Fayne as organizational depth options.

They can both play in depth roles in the NHL, and both seem to be great mentors, veterans, leaders.

Last edited:

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB

Why do you say that?

The AHL is pretty darn near the same intensity as the NHL.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He's not forgotten, he's not an Oiler, He's not good enough, as a player, to be in the top-8 right now, straight up. Atleast he's an NHL veteran so if true desperation hit, he's not a rookie getting thrown in to the fire of the stretch run or playoffs.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He should be here as the #7 guy instead of Gryba at the very least. He hasn't been given a fair shake this year to be honest. In the 4 games he's actually gotten into he looked completely fine, even good at times (unlike Gryba who looks like hot garbage at least once or twice a game when he actually gets in).

But he's just not a Chia/McLellan guy. They clearly have no time for him. That's their prerogative, they've earned the right to make this kind of decision at this point. My guess is that when we eventually buy him out he'll end up a bit like Nick Schultz and find a job on some other teams bottom pairing and play some decent responsible defense for a couple years.

It's clear they want their #7 to actually bring an element to the club. Not really surprising.

As for Fayne getting on somewhere else. He could very well, but at the same time he's been waived and no one has claimed him. Has anyone really offered a bad contract swap for him either?

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Considering he reported arrive to training camp out of shape last year...a year he needed to impress a new coaching staff. And the followed that up by playing like dog ****. They don't need to make time for him.

Oilers are past the point of "fair" ...they are in a position where they play the players that help them win. Benning brings all that he brings. Gryba brings physicality. What does Fayne bring that cant be done by Larsson, Reggie, Russell, Klefbom, Davidson and Nurse (when healthy).

That being said, I do believe he will be here at playoff time as a black ace...unless they want him in BAK if they make the playoffs.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

He could be very useful if Vegas takes him in the expansion draft. Other than that, I can't think of anything else.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Considering he reported arrive to training camp out of shape last year...a year he needed to impress a new coaching staff. And the followed that up by playing like dog ****. They don't need to make time for him.

Oilers are past the point of "fair" ...they are in a position where they play the players that help them win. Benning brings all that he brings. Gryba brings physicality. What does Fayne bring that cant be done by Larsson, Reggie, Russell, Klefbom, Davidson and Nurse (when healthy).

That being said, I do believe he will be here at playoff time as a black ace...unless they want him in BAK if they make the playoffs.

Fayne brings responsible defensive play. I'll take someone who can do that over Gryba's "gritensity" while paired with his laughably horrendous defending 10 times out of 10. Much like Henderson, Gryba actively hurts the Oilers at 5v5. He's a decent PKer and will stand up for his teammates, but at 5v5 he's frighteningly bad.

I mean we're talking about a #7 d-man here, so it doesn't matter all that much. But if we're in a position where we need to play one of them, Fayne is a far better hockey player than Gryba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad