Mark Barberio

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
At least one of our D men is likely going to rotate in and out of the lineup anyway. I could see us giving Brewer the occasional night off.

Hopefully against some faster teams we will rotate Brewer out and give Barberio a chance to play against teams that should match well against his defensive skillset. If he fails to be affective against teams like that, say Montreal,Avs etc, he can be traded for bag of picks imho.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
At least one of our D men is likely going to rotate in and out of the lineup anyway. I could see us giving Brewer the occasional night off.

I wouldn't mind giving it Gudas every once in a while either. Rather have a beast mode bearded Gudas 70 games a year than a 90% Gudas for 82 games.

If both Barbs and Sustr prove that they are deserving top6 defenders I could see Cooper rotating quit a bit in and out of the lineup to give the guys little breaks to rest their bodys.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I wouldn't mind giving it Gudas every once in a while either. Rather have a beast mode bearded Gudas 70 games a year than a 90% Gudas for 82 games.

If both Barbs and Sustr prove that they are deserving top6 defenders I could see Cooper rotating quit a bit in and out of the lineup to give the guys little breaks to rest their bodys.

I agree with this. To me Barberio and Gudas are behind Sustr. They will be competing for the #7 spot. Brewer is a great skater his first step is just slow. He's the best we have positionally and plays the top PK which none of the young guns can. I wouldn't sit him. Gudas needs to show in preseason he's back to early season form from last year or I'd hesitate to play him.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Is the only reason Barbs not playing because we are winning and Stevie doesn't want to mess with the line ups and that Brewer and Suster are such Beasts?

He is too young too be a healthy scratch all these games.

Does Stevie have something up his sleeve when Hedman comes back? Because when Hedman comes back that will push the young man deeper into the press box.

I would love to see him out there just to see how he would fit with our speed and offense. (I am saying I would love to see I'm not saying he would be any good). lol .... but lets see.

Last edited:

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
As I have said before, IMO he would be better suited to be a 3rd line forward , but no room there either. Maybe SFY is waiting for a team to be desperate because of injuries, and get a 2nd out of them. The new kids coming up are going to push him further down the depth chart.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He's good depth to have for injury, so he's not going to be moved this season. Sustr has been playing better, and there's the whole left/right handedness that the organization really seems to push. I don't think he'll last here, sadly. He's going to be good elsewhere, which is a shame.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Barberio can play the left side and right side so that gives us some pretty good depth and flexibility in that #7 role. I think he comes back next year on another cheap one year deal...him and Sustr are still RFAs this summer (capgeek). I'm more curious to see what happens with Brewer as he has played well. Certainly not re-signed for almost $4 Million - but I sleep better knowing Brewer is playing the left side in case of an injury. Barberio/Sustr third pairing would be pretty close to a train wreck I'm guessing.

Certainly hope Barberio gets more of a chance this year. Really need to see how well he has progressed year over year. In his limited time this year thought he looked ok.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
He's good depth to have for injury, so he's not going to be moved this season. Sustr has been playing better, and there's the whole left/right handedness that the organization really seems to push. I don't think he'll last here, sadly. He's going to be good elsewhere, which is a shame.

I was pleasantly surprised the couple times I noticed Sustr against Detroit.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
How has Barberio looked so far for you guys?

Is he getting some looks on the PP or offensive zone starts with your top line?

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Alright someone mentioned this in another thread, but we don't give this kid any credit whatsoever...

At the beginning of the season I legitimately felt bad for him because I thought he wouldn't even make the team, but he's showed massive improvement and has actually helped us be a 2-way threat on defense.

Opinions?

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
It really sounds like Barberio and Sustr and starting to look like they can handle the NHL level play. Sustr is getting bigger minutes for sure, but Barbs is playing a solid 7th D option, which is all we need him to be. Hopefully he keeps getting more and more solid as the year goes on. I want to see him getting more time than Carle at some point here haha.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I know people rate Sustr higher in general but I always thought Barbs got a higher potential, really hope he can get ice time over the season. He got skills that are quite rare so it would a shame to let him go.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
He has definitely improved since the start of this season, he's no longer a dumpster fire in his own zone and doesn't look like a deer in the headlights with the puck. He's actually been making smart rushes with the puck the past few games, showing what won him that award two years ago

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
He's been better for sure lately but considering where he was there's not much else to do but go up.

At this point I could trust him as a number 6 with spot duty on the PP.

Hopefully he keeps improving.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
If the top PP unit keeps struggling, I'd like to see him get a tryout. That was his bread and butter in the AHL, so maybe he can add the spark.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Player Question

Howdy folks. Habs fan here, asking a legitimate question. I remember watching Mark Barberio in the playoffs last year and coming away impressed with his game (and especially Palat's - that guy's gold). He skated with good speed and had sharp crisp passes. The only concern I had with his game was that it appeared to me that he played small (I was surprised to see he is 6'1'').

Anyway, I thought he was going to develop nicely into a Tory Krug type player. I was surprised to see that he is nowhere to be found come the playoffs this year. Is he injured, or have other players simply passed him on the depth chart? What are your impressions on his game?

Thanks!

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Howdy folks. Habs fan here, asking a legitimate question. I remember watching Mark Barberio in the playoffs last year and coming away impressed with his game (and especially Palat's - that guy's gold). He skated with good speed and had sharp crisp passes. The only concern I had with his game was that it appeared to me that he played small (I was surprised to see he is 6'1'').

Anyway, I thought he was going to develop nicely into a Tory Krug type player. I was surprised to see that he is nowhere to be found come the playoffs this year. Is he injured, or have other players simply passed him on the depth chart? What are your impressions on his game?

Thanks!

Fred Flinstone feet and pretty bad decision making. Very inconsistent.

Could go on a stretch of 5 bad games and then have a good one, or have 5 good games and then a bad one. He's a guy that you want to like, but just can't form an argument as to why he should be playing.

And Nesterov has clearly taken his role.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
For better or worse, his time with the lightning is over. He's just been inconsistent and found no spot with the organization. Nesterov jumped him, and even Nesterov isn't getting starts. The kid has all the potential in the world, but he just isnt finding it. He could on another team though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad