Mark Barberio

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Nice 2nd pairing upside, in about 2 years from now. He's being overused because we're so thin right now, that's all it is.

I think his absolute upside is of a #2-#3 type that can drive the O, but beyond that I agree. I think his development has been quite good, and he looks a lot better as the year has gone on. I don't love the personnel choice of having him out there in OT, but then again, he's a great skater so he may make more sense than Brewer out there.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Hes been real solid. Carle can't seem to get out of the zone to save his life at the moment, Barbs is moving his feet well and is always pushing the play, its what we need right now.

While hes at fault for that OT goal and all, we should have never been in that position, such sloppy play.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=695127&navid=DL|TBL|home
“You want to be counted on and you want the confidence of the coaching staff that they can put you out there when there are opportunities,” Barberio said. “Injuries are awful, but part of the game, so you have to take advantage of it.”
“Is it ideal that Sustr is playing right now? Probably not, he’s a first-year pro, but the plus side is that he deserves to be here,” Cooper said. “It speaks miles on how he’s developed over the last year.”

Same can be said about Barberio. He jumped into the pros at a younger age and that’s why we have an AHL system, so guys can develop, and Barberio is a great example of that.”

The coaching staff has noticed the rookie blueliners making better hockey decisions over their extended stints.

“They used to play with a little bit of panic, just those nerves, and now the game has slowed down for them,” Cooper said. “They’re more under control and they’re making pro plays now.”
Barberio said himself that he was nervous at the beginning of the year, but the experience has calmed him down.

“I’ve eased into the game,” Barberio said. “Earlier I was practicing a lot, but you can’t make a lot of things that happen in a game up at practice. Making quicker decisions comes with game time and game situations.”

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...ings-barberio-hopes-to-learn-from-his/2156434
...Barberio believes he is a bit wiser after his blunder during Saturday's 2-1 overtime loss to the Jets led to the winning goal.

"I've talked about it with (assistant coach Rick Bowness) already and looked at it on video," Barberio said Tuesday. "It's a mistake. it was a mental mistake. When I've got a guy at the net, I can't let up for even a second because that's all the guys need in this league, one second, one chance to put it in. Hockey is a game of mistakes, and mistakes are going to happen. The key is to make sure you don't commit the same mistakes."
"I take it as a lesson," Barberio said. "The key is to make sure that doesn't happen anymore, that I keep battling with a guy in front and make sure I can see the play at all times, don't get my back turned to the play. Hopefully, that makes me a better player."

"It stings," Barberio added. "It hurts because we battled hard, especially in the second half of the game to get back in it. I thought we had a lot of momentum. That's hockey. One mistake, boom, you're on the losing end of the game. You learn the hard way, but as long as I'm going to learn from it and make sure it doesn't happen again."

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/barberio-steadily-earning-place-in-lightning-lineup-20140126/
“He kind of had a nervous game to him probably for the first 25 or 30 games, but I think he’s gotten a little bit of that attitude where ‘I actually think I belong in this league, I can play here’,’’ Cooper said. “So I think the game is slowing down for him a little bit, which you hope it does for a lot of the rookies and clearly he is taken advantage of it. So it’s really hard to pull him out of the lineup right now.’’
“I was in and out (of the lineup) that first year in Norfolk, but that process when by a lot faster,’’ Barberio said. “I would say by November or December I found myself becoming a regular that year. This year it’s taking a bit more time, which makes sense because we have a lot of good defenseman on this hockey team and we’ve been winning games. So when I did get my chance I just needed to try to stay in the lineup as best as I can.’’
“He is completely engaged in the game,’’ Cooper said. “He’s not letting the game come to him, he’s going after the game. He’s really been kind of back to the Barbs that we knew the last couple of years, really jumping into plays, his timing is right and he has command when he has the puck.’’
“I’ve never really doubted my ability, I know I can play the game of hockey, but it just takes time to get used to this level and try to get comfortable with the level,’’ Barberio said. “I think that as the weeks have gone by here I feel like I’ve been improving and that’s the biggest thing.’’
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/lightning-defenseman-finds-his-groove/2162827
"He's going to take off soon," Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman said. "He's been showing the last few weeks how good a player he is."
"I think my poise with the puck has gotten better," Barberio said. "At the start of the year, I'd rush plays and get the puck, and I'd think I'd have no time. Where now, I'm picking up the puck, got my head up and taking an extra second. And I'd like to think defensively I've been improving. I'm not the biggest guy. So when I'm playing some big forwards, I've got to make sure my positioning and stick is at the top of its game. It's still a work in progress. But I feel like I'm in the right direction."

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Happy for Barbs. Excited to see what the rest of the season brings him. He is definitely bashed way to much around here and other boards.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Happy for Barbs. Excited to see what the rest of the season brings him. He is definitely bashed way to much around here and other boards.

A lot of that came from how well Sustr played earlier in the season compared to him, but I don't think anyone gave up on Barbs. Glad the game has slowed down for him - he's turning into a hell of a player.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
A lot of that came from how well Sustr played earlier in the season compared to him, but I don't think anyone gave up on Barbs. Glad the game has slowed down for him - he's turning into a hell of a player.

Yeah glad he's doing alright. Expectations were just really high, especially given his age and his earlier achievements in the A. Gudas instantly took over a 2nd pairing job and Sustr had established himself on the 3rd pairing while Barbs was a nervous mess most nights.

I'm glad he's turned it around. He's a great player when he's confident and on his game.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I have been one of the most vocal about Barbs bad play. He has improved a lot in the last month or so. The biggest difference is he is trying to create offense now. Before he just wanted the puck off his stick whether it was a pass to a teammate, an icing, or a bad pass to the other team. It was like a hot potato and that's not his game. Now he skates with the puck more and for the most part looks to make something happen which helps with possession as well as finally starting to produce offense which will help negate some of the defensive problems he does still have.

Overall very happy he's getting it together. Hopefully he keeps growing.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
He's getting better and at this moment I'm not nervous when he's on the ice, which means he's playing quite good

Same here. Earlier in the season there was nothing worse than seeing Barbs having to defend in his own zone. Now you just keep sipping your beer and he gets the puck out of trouble.

Keep it up Barbs.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
He's getting there. I really look forward to seeing what a productive offseason could do for his game.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
He's Mozart in the Offensive Third and he's Chucky, that ADHD kid you knew in 5th grade who would spazz all over the classroom, when he's facing a forecheck in the Defensive Third.

Lots of that is game speed. The hot potato-ness of his game in the D 3rd is the problem. He's also incredibly weak sauce on the boards and in the corners. Marty would make him his ***** so badly fans should through in the towel. Kucherov is light years better along the wall and he does it with smarts and guile. Barbs lacks the composure in his own end to let his skill work and let his mind do the heavy lifting.

As the game slows down for him (don't get me wrong, I do NOT want to trade him or give up on him), he'll become serviceable in the D3rd and the Offense will continue to build. That was the main problem I had with him early on. It was all of the downside, none of the upside. Now we're getting more of the upside to counter the downside. Eventually that scale will balance out and start to tip in his favor.

We're watching it happen and we're still winning with him in the lineup. Thank baby cheezus for Ben Bishop.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He deserves a lot of credit. Sometimes it hasn't looked pretty, but it's rarely cost us in the defensive end. +16 is tied with Matt Carle for best among defensemen on the team. He's getting better as the season goes on. I don't doubt we'll see him take a step back at some point, but overall he's adapting and becoming a bigger part of the team pretty much every week.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
How would yall rate his season overall? Anyone feel like he will be here long term with Koekkoek and Deangelo coming?

Last edited:

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
How would yall rate his season overall? Anyone feel like he will be here long term with Koekkoek and Deangelo coming?

If he can prove himself adequate in the D-side of the game, while providing good offense, he will most likely have a place because Deangelo is a long-term prospect and Slater will probably slide in as Carles/Garrisons replacement full time.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I am not convinced he has a NHL future, certainly not with us. Our top 5 are set for 14/15, and Gudas and Sustr are better suited as 6th/7th D, with Koekkoek, DeAngelo , Masin in the pipeline. There is a small chance Garrison is moved to the 3rd pair to replace Brewer in 2015/16, opening up a second pair spot, but I would rather have Sustr or Koekkoek fill that role if it happened.

He will not clear waivers so better to try and trade to someone who needs a second pair PMD, rather be the #8 D serving popcorn.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I am not convinced he has a NHL future, certainly not with us. Our top 5 are set for 14/15, and Gudas and Sustr are better suited as 6th/7th D, with Koekkoek, DeAngelo , Masin in the pipeline. There is a small chance Garrison is moved to the 3rd pair to replace Brewer in 2015/16, opening up a second pair spot, but I would rather have Sustr or Koekkoek fill that role if it happened.

He will not clear waivers so better to try and trade to someone who needs a second pair PMD, rather be the #8 D serving popcorn.

I reckon he is better than Sustr but maybe thats just me? With his skating and vision he got some rare tools that we shouldn't throw away.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I'd like to see Barberio back on the left side...I think he struggled last year to adjust to playing on the right side. If he were to switch back on left side - for example if Brewer gets injured this year - I think we'd see a different more confident Barberio. You know, the one that played for the Norfolk.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd like to see Barberio back on the left side...I think he struggled last year to adjust to playing on the right side. If he were to switch back on left side - for example if Brewer gets injured this year - I think we'd see a different more confident Barberio. You know, the one that played for the Norfolk.

At least one of our D men is likely going to rotate in and out of the lineup anyway. I could see us giving Brewer the occasional night off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad