Mark Barberio

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Howdy folks. Habs fan here, asking a legitimate question. I remember watching Mark Barberio in the playoffs last year and coming away impressed with his game (and especially Palat's - that guy's gold). He skated with good speed and had sharp crisp passes. The only concern I had with his game was that it appeared to me that he played small (I was surprised to see he is 6'1'').

Anyway, I thought he was going to develop nicely into a Tory Krug type player. I was surprised to see that he is nowhere to be found come the playoffs this year. Is he injured, or have other players simply passed him on the depth chart? What are your impressions on his game?

Thanks!

I am certain he would do well in many clubs, he got skills that are quite rare, good skating and good vision but he has not been given a chance on the powerplay as in the AHL, when he gets the ice time he grows but when he is tossed in and out his game becomes inconsistent.

He must still improve his positioning and physcial game, no doubt about that.

But he is still young and if he gets a shot elsewhere Im sure he can grow, unfortunately that won't be in Tampa as it seems.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Even though he's improved quite a bit overall, the "Happy feet" remains Barberio's main weakness, he's having consistent issues dealing with an heavy forecheck on the break-out. Also he doesn't have a particular strength, for example he skates well but for some reason he can't use it to create enough scoring chances. Epitome of average 3rd pairing/7th dman, which is not a knock on Barbs.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Best of luck to Barbs. Hopefully he can get a bottom pairing job somewhere.

I'll always remember this from Conacher

http://www.atlantichockeyonline.com/news/2011-12_news/conacher061112?dec=/printer-decorator&
When the coach of the Norfolk Admirals gathered his players to tell them one had earned the American Hockey League MVP award, Cory Conacher got excited immediately. Not for himself, though. The former Canisius College standout was certain teammate Mark Barberio had won the honor.

"When coach started talking about it, I thought it was going to be him with the season he had," Conacher said of the All-Star defenseman. "When I got it, it was a good surprise."

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he lands in the right spot, this could be a blessing in disguise for him. He would shine (offensively) with a few bottom-feeding clubs.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I can see why with the young guys coming but at the same time it's a shame bums like Sustr (I know he is on the other side) and Carle got to play ahead of him.

When he got the chance and gained confidience he did well, so given the opportunity in another team im sure he can gain a spot in the third pairing and maybe even get some PP time.

He should have never cut his hair though!

Thanks Barbs and best of luck! :handclap:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I can see why with the young guys coming but at the same time it's a shame bums like Sustr (I know he is on the other side) and Carle got to play ahead of him.

When he got the chance and gained confidience he did well, so given the opportunity in another team im sure he can gain a spot in the third pairing and maybe even get some PP time.

He should have never cut his hair though!

Thanks Barbs and best of luck! :handclap:

Barberio wasn't that good in the NHL. He didn't bring anything close to the same offense we saw in the A. That bum Sustr had a higher ppg rate then Barberio.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Barberio wasn't that good in the NHL. He didn't bring anything close to the same offense we saw in the A. That bum Sustr had a higher ppg rate then Barberio.

0.18 vs 0.13 with slighty more ice time though.

He was a limited by the role and directives he got but had a very solid stint during the spring, he is a better skater, is better at reading the game and has better vision than Sustr, those are not easy skills to gain.

When our PP was at worst we should have tried him there and im sure he could have done well.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
0.18 vs 0.13 with slighty more ice time though.

He was a limited by the role and directives he got but had a very solid stint during the spring, he is a better skater, is better at reading the game and has better vision than Sustr, those are not easy skills to gain.

When our PP was at worst we should have tried him there and im sure he could have done well.

How was he anymore limited then Sustr? I agree he's much more skilled which makes his case worse as he was out produced by a less skilled player.

He was decent on the PP the year before but it wasn't the defenders fault the PP sucked so not sure he'd help. The forwards didn't shoot nor did they have any creativity, it was a passing contest.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Good luck to you and your family Barbs. There's a team out there that'll give you a chance. Unfortunately it's just not us after all this time. Thank you for all the good years you put in to our minors system. Cheers to an eventful NHL career for you buddy.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
omg I forgot yzerman did say that

Someone needs to dig the quote up, because I remember it haha. It is a shame we had to loose him, but he just didn't fit with they system. I think somewhere like Edmonton where they need #6 defensemen, he could find a roll and blossom. He was just never going to make it here. Not with Koekkoek and DeAngelo coming up.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
someone needs to dig the quote up, because i remember it haha. It is a shame we had to loose him, but he just didn't fit with they system. I think somewhere like edmonton where they need #6 defensemen, he could find a roll and blossom. He was just never going to make it here. Not with koekkoek and deangelo coming up.

It was this tweet. Who knows if it was taken out of context or not. It was definitely surprising to read back then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad