Mario Lemieux vs Today's NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
-Because you ignore key points. Mario Lemieux only played 60 games that year. 60. Pat Lafontaine played 84. Lafontaine played 24 MORE games then Lemieux, and Lemieux still beat him by 12 points.

-Lemieux beat every player in the entire league by over 1 point per game. And this was indeed Lemieux's best season.

And even if you assume he would have kept the pace up over 84 games which is far from a guarantee, he didn't outscore his rivals by a margin in that season which would signify a 150+ point season in 2018.

And 92-93 was the biggest outlier season in league history. Probably 90% of the stars in the league had a career year in that season.

Best PP player in history scores at highest rate when PP's are at an all time high.

Color me shocked.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Yeah it is simple. Mario would destroy this league. He was dominating even in the 2000s at an old age with a lame back, status post chemotherapy. This is an argument you will not win.

Because everyone else is basing their arguments on feelings.

Mario didn't regularly beat his scoring competition by a factor of 1.6 which some are suggesting he would do if transported in his prime to 2018.

Lawd Stanley

Apr 10, 2017
The Great White North
Yeah it is simple. Mario would destroy this league. He was dominating even in the 2000s at an old age with a lame back, status post chemotherapy. This is an argument you will not win.
It’s not even an argument. Lemiuex would not be able to handle it today. Period. You’re living in the past on a hypothetical that can’t be proven. The End.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
It's more that this proves how garbage hockey was for such a long time thanks to a massive quadrupling expansion over a few decades (not adding 1 team in nearly 2 decades of play like today). Look at that time and space. Look at how free he was to do things. Look at how slow everyone is skating. Look at how small those goaltenders are and how technically unsound they are.

Honestly I love when videos like this get posted. Compare that to Crosby or Ovechkin or Malkin. Look at what they have to deal with on a nightly basis and they can still pull off a highlight reel 10x better than that.

Like I said - he would break 70 points a few times in his prime and that would be it.

-Pretty interesting because he put up 91 points in 2003 in a lower scoring era then todays NHL at 38 years old. ERA adjusted he would have put up 107 points this year at 38 years old. That was in the dead puck era he put up 91 points.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
You must not understand that goalies and “average” players back then are much much better today and stronger, faster and more skilled as the sport has evolved. Even the goalies have coaches now. Mario would be great in his prime even today but he wouldn’t be as good as he was facing today’s competition. This would be like me saying Ovechkin would do just as well in the year 2040. He wouldn’t. Everything evolves.

I very well do understand the basic concept that the game evolves - the game is faster, players are bigger stronger more supported with top notch coaches, sports science etc. If Mario or Gretzky played in todays league - they as well would be indoctrinated and immersed with the same benefits. The game evolves and so do players.

My main point here is that there are those few athletes that define a sport and would dominate regardless of era. Mario is one of them. Same goes with the other examples I postes. Ie. Jordan, ali. As for whether hiw mario would do in 2040 who the F knows? Not you. However in this case we do have the benefit of hindsight which tells me Mario would again dominate. CRUSH, DESTROY, SCHOOL this league

Lawd Stanley

Apr 10, 2017
The Great White North
-91 points in the dead puck era in 2003 at 38 years old. Owned
No kid. Not owned. It’s an unprovable hypothetical and a lame thread because all you do is reply “owned”. You ruined the Ovechkin thread and were laughed out of it. You need to learn when to sit and read without making the same meaningless points over and over. Lemiuex is gone. He’s not coming back. If he did he would dissapoint you.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
No kid. Not owned. It’s an unprovable hypothetical and a lame thread because all you do is reply “owned”. You ruined the Ovechkin thread and were laughed out of it. You need to learn when to sit and read without making the same meaningless points over and over. Lemiuex is gone. He’s not coming back. If he did he would dissapoint you.

Are you an Oilers fan?

Lawd Stanley

Apr 10, 2017
The Great White North
I very well do understand the basic concept that the game evolves - the game is faster, players are bigger stronger more supported with top notch coaches, sports science etc. If Mario or Gretzky played in todays league - they as well would be indoctrinated and immersed with the same benefits. The game evolves and so do players. My main point here is that there are those few athletes that define a sport and would dominate regardless of era. Mario is ine of them. Same goes with the other examples I postes. Ie. Jordan, ali. As for whether hiw mario would do in 2040 who the F knows? Not you. However in this case we do have the benefit of hindsight which tells me Mario would again dominate. CRUSH, DESTROY, SCHOOL this league
That’s not what we are discussing. It’s whether the Mario of the 80s would be able to compete now in a vacuum. Like if he were to time travel from his prime to now—because saying “oh well he would have lived in the present in his prime and done this and done that”—he’ll he could have never gotten cancer and been a baseball
Player. What is this multiple timelines now? Alternate realities? If Lemiuex were transported from his prime years of playing to now—he would not be nearly as good. Nobody says he would suck but he wouldn’t dominate the same way. If you can’t understand that you’re not being objective. That’s all I need to say on it.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Why does everyone say this, even though it's been refuted many many times in this thread?

Here is a video of OEL with 80s equipment on.
Coyotes star Oliver Ekman Larsson tries on 80's equipment

His 95mph slap shot goes down to a 69mph muffin with a wooden stick.

Ovechkin wouldn't be able to overpower goalies with a wooden stick. He would skate at half his speed, and not do corners or edges properly.
Thank you for this post. Makes one REALLY appreciate history.

And this is from 20 years ago. I wonder how he would do with the 50s equipment.

Reactions: PenguinSpeed

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Thank you for this post. Makes one REALLY appreciate history.

And this is from 20 years ago. I wonder how he would do with the 50s equipment.

You're right. Mario would have been terrible if he couldn't have used a curved stick. :sarcasm:

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
That’s not what we are discussing. It’s whether the Mario of the 80s would be able to compete now in a vacuum. Like if he were to time travel from his prime to now—because saying “oh well he would have lived in the present in his prime and done this and done that”—he’ll he could have never gotten cancer and been a baseball
Player. What is this multiple timelines now? Alternate realities? If Lemiuex were transported from his prime years of playing to now—he would not be nearly as good. Nobody says he would suck but he wouldn’t dominate the same way. If you can’t understand that you’re not being objective. That’s all I need to say on it.

Let me ask you this simple sports question - do you think Jordan would be the best player in the NBA today?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Let me ask you this simple sports question - do you think Jordan would be the best player in the NBA today?

Yes and Jesse Owens would be the fastest sprinter.

It's absurd. Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin are objectively better. The list can be made longer.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Yes and Jesse Owens would be the fastest sprinter.

It's absurd. Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin are objectively better. The list can be made longer.

I didnt ask for your opinion. But in any event, you failed to directly answer the question and resorted to using a bizarre sarcasm. Try again

Reactions: Sentinel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad