Mario Lemieux missed the playoffs in each of his first 4 years in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
After his first season Lemieux not making the playoffs was a product of the bizarrely lopsided way the divisions were set up.

In his second year (86) the Pens could have coasted to a playoff spot from Christmas if they were in the Campbell conference. They were 17 points ahead of the 3rd place team in the Smythe division and 19 points ahead of the 4th place team in the Campbell.

In his third season, despite missing 17 games with injury the Pens would have qualified in any of the other 3 divisions.

Same thing in his fourth season, where despite finishing 6th in their division (the only division with six teams), they would have easily made the playoffs in any other division. The divisions were so lopsided that the 6th place team in the Patrick division (Penguins) would have easily finished 2nd in the Norris.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
So, how many generational talents are there per decade?

Over/under 2.5?

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
There's plenty of time for McDavid to have playoff success but there's no denying that he is a great hockey player. Wish there was more like him in the league.
No

After his first season Lemieux not making the playoffs was a product of the bizarrely lopsided way the divisions were set up.

In his second year (86) the Pens could have coasted to a playoff spot from Christmas if they were in the Campbell conference. They were 17 points ahead of the 3rd place team in the Smythe division and 19 points ahead of the 4th place team in the Campbell.

In his third season, despite missing 17 games with injury the Pens would have qualified in any of the other 3 divisions.

Same thing in his fourth season, where despite finishing 6th in their division (the only division with six teams), they would have easily made the playoffs in any other division. The divisions were so lopsided that the 6th place team in the Patrick division (Penguins) would have easily finished 2nd in the Norris.

Yup. Young fans (and casual fans) don't understand. They never watch hockey before when there was actual real better player than the current Regiment. Mcdavid is flash not Generational. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
1985-1986 -- 141 pts Lemieux wasn't considered a leader until Pittsburgh won their 1st Stanley Cup.
Just like Steve Yzerman wasn't considered a leader until winning the cup.
Having great individual stats didn't save those two players from being criticized it only stopped after they won Stanley Cups .

I'm glad you mentioned Yserman but to be fair he did have to transform himself to become a winner. It's well documented that Bowman won him over to the idea that they could win more if he scored less but also played a 2 way game. He went from a 155 point season in 88-89 to a Cup in 97 to Selke in 2000.

I don't know if McDavid is a leader or not, only people who have played with him can say for sure. I also don't know if he will win a Cup or not but my gut tells me if he doesn't it won't be his fault but rather a result of the organization/s he is with.

I don't think anyone reasonable blames him for the Oilers slide, it's a flawed team. Yeah maybe if he was Mark Messier he could have motivated them but then again maybe not.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

You are absolutely right about the lopsided divisions back then. I would also just like to point out, though, that there were only 21 teams in the league back then. So 76% of the teams made the playoffs. Today's equivalent would be 24 [23.6 technically...] teams making the playoffs. This season, Edmonton finished 23rd.

I do think the OPs point still stands, that Pittsburgh was not good in Lemieux's early years- they had an overall record of 100-111-9 in those 3 years, and were only over .500 once in that time [his 4th year, by 1 win].

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Lollllllllll.

So Lemieux was not a leader before he won a cup in 91.....lol

Jees....

Can you look at the pens roster in 87-88 when he did 168 points.

Can you look at the pens roster in 88-89 when he did 199 points in 76 games.......plus he broke a record that year cause he contribute to an astonishing 57 per cent of all pens goal......even Gretzky never did it.

And Lemieux was not a leader back then......lol. Ask bob errey, warren young, rob brown and all those all of faker...le l if he was a leader or not.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You are absolutely right about the lopsided divisions back then. I would also just like to point out, though, that there were only 21 teams in the league back then. So 76% of the teams made the playoffs. Today's equivalent would be 24 [23.6 technically...] teams making the playoffs. This season, Edmonton finished 23rd.

I do think the OPs point still stands, that Pittsburgh was not good in Lemieux's early years- they had an overall record of 100-111-9 in those 3 years, and were only over .500 once in that time [his 4th year, by 1 win].

Sure, but there were no 3-point games back then. You take away the second point from the OT and SO wins for Edmonton and they drop down to 24 wins and 66 points in 82 games. Yes, Edmonton would have adjusted to 16th, but the Pens were better than 16th in all those years (despite not making the playoffs - they were 15th, 13th and 12th for those years). They were not a great team, but they also were not 2017-18 Oilers bad.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
A fact the youngins on here probably do not know. And his team won an average of 31 games despite him tearing up the league. McDavid's Oilers won more playoff series in his first 2 seasons than Lemieux's penguins in their first 6 seasons.

See, being a tangible loser racking up the points in garbage time is not selective to generational and franchise talents Connor and Jack.
So Eichel is going to be Mario level good and McDavid isn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad