Celebrity Death: Marie Fredriksson (61, Roxette)

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Sad news, she'd been ill for a long time. I remember being a big Roxette fan when I was a kid.

Roxette singer Marie Fredriksson has died aged 61, her manager has confirmed.

The Swedish star achieved global success in the 1990s with hits including The Look, Joyride and It Must Have Been Love.

A statement said the singer had died on Tuesday, 9 December "following a 17-year long battle with cancer".

"You were the most wonderful friend for over 40 years," her bandmate Per Gessle said. "Things will never be the same."

source: BBC News

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Very kind person, great voice. Mostly known abroad for Roxette with 75 million albums sold but she had some major hits in Swedish too. Survived her brain tumor 17 years ago but never fully recovered. Rip.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really liked Roxette in the early 90's was kinda young to really appreciate it, but always heard their songs on the radio or in the movies. I know they were huge in Sweden, and still sold millions of records there after their success in the U.S. RIP, I know she was going through a long battle, f*** Cancer.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I know they were huge in Sweden, and still sold millions of records there after their success in the U.S.

I think they were bigger abroad actually, in Germany, Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries, et cetera. Sweden is not that big of a market if you want to sell "millions of records".

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
My wife and I saw her on tour in 2012 and she could still sing well, but she barely moved while onstage. We surmised she was fighting something terrible. 17 years. Incredible perseverance.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is surprising and sad. I knew that she had, I think, a brain tumor 15 years ago, but thought that she beat it. I've been a fan of Roxette since I first heard them on the radio in 1988. I still listen to their music.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Sadly we’re going to lose more and more artists/bands like that

Dying from complications of the treatment instead of what you’re being treated for is some cruel irony :(

May your music and talent live on!

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
By sheer coincidence I watched Long Shot last night and a Roxette song happens to play a large role in the movie. It's a sweet, emotional in-movie moment made all the more effective by this sad news from the real world. Great voice. Stellar, timeless pop.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes